Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Q1: Will you be fitting Winter tyres on your car?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

As we’re nearing the Xmas (judging by the local Tesco’s decor) it means it’s getting colder. Will you be buying/fitting Winter tyres for your car this time?

bassspine
    Free Member

I’m umming about buying some car socks

MoreCashThanDash

Big thread on this the other day – lots of good arguments for it.

I may wait until my normal tyres wear and then replace with winter tyres permanently – the extra grip on wet and gritty roads is useful year round in the Peak District and some of the comments on the other thread indicated the effect on fuel consumption was fairly low – ie would be only 3-4 mpg which I can save by using my right foot a little more carefully anyway.

baldSpot
    Free Member

yes – done both cars today but i live in Stockholm 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Fitted some last year and they were great, previous years I faffed around with chains, which are fine but tyres are fit and forget.
    Had them years ago and after much pi55 taking it was discovered that I was the only person able to get out of the valley we lived in… 😆
    Not that much more expensive than normal tyres and it’s offset by not wearing out your normal road tyres…

jam-bo

i hope loads do, and then it won’t snow this winter and I won’t have to bother.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Winter tyres are NOT only for snow, also when it’s cold (3-7 degs Centigrade and lower according to a mate who knows about card, my local Surf_Mat 😉 ).

loddrik
    Free Member

Couldn’t afford to buy a second set of Tyres for winter but I wouldn’t if I could anyway.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Nope.

wombat

I’m not, I didn’t last year, I don’t see the point….but I know how to drive properly in most conditions 😀 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Couldn’t afford to buy a second set of Tyres for winter but I wouldn’t if I could anyway.

Careful driving negates the need anyway…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Q1: Will you be fitting Winter tyres on your car?

Nope – I don’t have a cvar 🙂

I will be fitting winter tyres to my mtb tho – in fact I already have

simon_g

Considered it in previous years but given I live in London, rarely go too far out of the way and have a diesel FWD car (plenty of weight over the wheels so OK traction), it didn’t seem worthwhile. Plus I have a set of snowchains in the boot if it got really bad. And, if it came to it, I can work from home anyway.

If I was out in the sticks and roads I normally used wouldn’t get gritted much (and I wouldn’t expect any improvement at all over previous winters) and/or I had to stay mobile, I’d find the space for a spare set of steel wheels with winter tyres, just like our European neighbours do.

damo2576
    Free Member

Do people seriously do this?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Er …No. We only get a few frosts a year here and only 1 days worth of snow last winter.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No because I mostly managed without them last winter. I got some auto socks for the one or two days when the snow and ice might defeat me. One of the funniest incidents last winter was two weeks after the big snow when roads were mostly clear. I decided to take a minor drove road to go find some to play in. U fortunately a landy had been through making quite deep ruts in the snow and I grounded my Civic! I had to get the shovel out and dig under the car to get the tyres gripping again. Good slippery fun and I’m surprised I got through the winter without ending up in the hedge.

mc
    Free Member

Given that the only time I got stuck in the snow last year was when the front bumper started acting as a snowplough, I don’t see the point.

Swalsey
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Careful driving negates the need anyway…

I disagree – I’m a careful driver but when stopping distances and grip are significantly reduced (when using summer tyres below 7 degrees C), your driving ability is irrelevant IMO. I see a need to fit cold weather tyres – so I have bought some to be fitted soon.

I don’t understand why the majority are using summer tyres all year round, why not get proper all weather tyres which sit between the two? Surely it is the equivalent of MTBing in mud using semi-slicks?

molgrips
    Free Member

I may wait until my normal tyres wear and then replace with winter tyres permanently

They aren’t meant for when the tarmac is warm – they are very crap then. Winter tyres all year is a bad idea.

Btw, are you talking about winter tyres or snow specific tyres? Difference, I think (but not sure).

Given that the only time I got stuck in the snow last year was when the front bumper started acting as a snowplough, I don’t see the point.

When you reach a hill with packed snow – that’s when you need them 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t understand why the majority are using summer tyres all year round, why not get proper all weather tyres which sit between the two?

Cos they are a compromise 95% of the time. It’s so mild in this country (most of it at least) that tyres designated for summer on the continent work almost all the time here anyway.

_tom_
    Free Member

No, can’t be arsed and never had any problems with normal tyres.

Swalsey
    Free Member

molgrips – fair enough, but I’d say winter tyres are a poor choice for 85% of the year depending on area, but all-season tyres would be at least be decent all year round. Summer tyres in certain places / at certain times just don’t work – if I can’t get up a 1 in 5 hill near my house then they are useless.

If everybody fitted cold weather tyres between say, November and March there would be less accidents, and long term costs shouldn’t be much/any different

mc
    Free Member

When you reach a hill with packed snow – that’s when you need them

I survived going up hills with packed snow last winter, so why should this winter be any different?
    Majority of places, provided you anticipate the road/terrain and keep your car moving, you won’t have any problems. The problem is the amount of idiots who have a total inability to anticipate, or think past the end of their bonnet.

But while we’re on the subject of winter, I loved watching all the smashed up Audi Quatros getting recovered into the dealer just up from my work last year. Just because the four wheel drive gives you better traction for pulling away, doesn’t mean it gives you extra traction for stopping 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

And all the unfortunate BMW drivers squirreling around

molgrips
    Free Member

I survived going up hills with packed snow last winter, so why should this winter be any different?

Then if you meet steeper hills than you did with slippier snow 🙂

Our road was almost impassable last year.

The problem is the amount of idiots who have a total inability to anticipate, or think past the end of their bonnet.

It’s not always stupid people’s fault you know. Sometimes, there just isn’t enough traction. Yes, lots of people are stupid, but that’s not always the reason 🙂

provided you anticipate the road/terrain and keep your car moving

Again, not always possible. Last year my colleage who is an intelligent bloke and a good driver came within a gnat’s of getting stuck because his drive home is a very busy single carriageway road with hills. It only takes one person to make a mistake for everyone to have to stop, and not be able to start again on a hill.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Nope, I will just just drop the pressure a nats and stop driving like a nob.

aracer
    Free Member

Given I coped just fine last year when everybody else was fannying about – several times avoiding the jams on the (fairly clear and easy to drive on) main roads by taking the (covered with snow) back roads – I don’t think I’ll bother. They’d only do me any good if the numpties were using them.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

I will be chucking the winter tyres on again this year. Only got three left after that blow out so going to just put them on the front axle. Oooo whats oversteer?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Energy savers on the front, Alpins on the back, then swap round when it gets cold. Best of both worlds – I was astonished by the difference winter tyres made last year, so as long as the weather looks threatening, I’ll keep using them.
    🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

Given the continual discussion about different mountain bike tyres for different conditions, i’m surprised so few think winter tyres would make a difference. But from the looks of it most posts are from awesome drivers.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I remember listening to a discusion on the radio last year. So many people said they were gonna buy a 4×4. Idiots.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m so awesome i’m getting some slicks, you lot are all pansies 🙂

dazzlingboy

I drive a Defender. No need.

wind-bag
    Free Member

BFGoodrich A/T all year round, tis on a Discovery though, so no need…oh, and I live in the Lake so they came into their own last winter. This winter promises to be the same.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hmm I guess in Mainland Europe they do and the tyres are cheaper.

I just bought Potenza 255×40 x 17 and I’m focussing on rain weather.

If it snows heavy then I’ll be using the train or drive the long way via motorways early.

Not looking forward to driving but on the mtb sure!

mtb_rob
    Free Member

a shitty little car with winter tyres is going to go farther than a big 4×4 with summer tyres.
    regardless of driver superdooperness

glenh
    Free Member

Winter tyres going on tomorrow 🙂

No brainer. The right compound for the temperature and no issues when it snows.

molgrips
    Free Member

Winter tyres are brilliant, no question.

When I’ve got room and money for a spare set of wheels, I’ll probably do it. And probably get socks for this year too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Would you fit them onto the front wheels of a FWD car if the current tyres needed replacing?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Grabber AT2’s, 4WD and diff lock

mwahahahahaha! bring on the snow!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Q1: Will you be fitting Winter tyres on your car?’ is closed to new replies.