Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Q: Progressing with building works whilst awaiting the planning permission…
  • qwerty
    Free Member

So, we put in a last minute planning application for two gable end windows in our loft conversion (currently under construction and within permitted development).

The decision on the planning permission should be made on 12/10, but our builder hopes to be finished on the loft conversion by 21/09 (plasterer to finish off).

I’d like to ask the builder to create the holes for both gable end windows and then board them awaiting the planning permission being granted before having the windows installed. This will speed up the completion of our build.

I had a chat with the planning dept today about my intentions, she said it wouldn’t have a negative impact on the planning permission being granted but it would be at my own risk (which i understand). If any neighbours picked up on us progressing without planning permission and complained to the dept then they’d become involved. It appears the main decision from them is regarding the opening / closing and clear / obscureness of the windows, we are a good distance away from any neighbours and the planning lady has said that it shouldn’t be an issue.

Its a simple addition, nothing controversial, we had no objections, have spoken with neighbours who support our plans.

Any stw advice on similar issues appreciated.

We are under Stroud, Glos planning if it makes any difference.

joeegg
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust what the planning department says about things not being an issue.
    I had “chats” with the planning department about 2 different applications and was told there would be no problems with the applications after they studied the plans.The planning officer then turned down the application because a dimension was 20cm too large.
    He knew this when he looked at the plans but never mentioned it.
    To comply i would have had to do £30,000 of building work to fit a £1000 security shutter.Jobsworths and thats putting it mildly.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I would do it, as she says it is at your own risk and the cost of putting it back if it doesn’t come through would not be massive. It is when it is a fundamental change that you are taking a big risk.

djglover
    Free Member

If its only the windowns, then why not. Its not like the whole structure requires planning.

Having said that, we made our neighbour block his up as it overlooked us at very close proximity and he hadn’t looked for permission, just presumed it was permitted. All friendly with them still and they saw our POV when they looked out!

geoffj

Depends on construction type, but I’m not sure I’d be cutting 2 holes in the brickwork of a gable end until planning was signed sealed and delivered – do you need building regs for it too?

sharki
    Free Member

There’s no harm in constructing it for potential future alterations.

A recessed external panel than can be easily chopped out afterwards so that the reveals don’t need to be cut cheekily use a weak lime mix on the panel to ease removal(A Wood panel may upset a jobs worth). Cavities can be closed with a plastic and insulated closure prior to the windows going in.

As for the lintels, so long as they’re of conforming type there’s no reason an official should complain (not that they’ll be able to see it).

And always use the Bullshit baffles brains concept.

If it’s a brick outer skin, then what’s so bad about a feature panel? 😉 Just make sure the weep holes, damp course above the lintel if necessary are in place.

So just go ahead rebel and tell anyone busy body, you’re making a feature in the plain boring gable.

davidjones15
    Free Member

To comply i would have had to do £30,000 of building work to fit a £1000 security shutter.

That’s a lot of work for a security shutter. What happened?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Q: Progressing with building works whilst awaiting the planning permission…’ is closed to new replies.