• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by PTR.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Q? Kids bike suspension to rigid fork swap???
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I am looking to buy my daughter a brand new second hand 20 inch wheeled bike. Isla Bikes are great but I am a bit skint with the cost of a new bathroom, car MoT and a holiday next month. A Specialized Hotrock 20 is a decent piece of kit but I really don’t see the point of heavy front suspension for a bike that will spend 90% of its time riding to school. So what fork can I source to replace the suspension fork it comes with? Not sure where you get suspension corrected geometry forks for 20″ wheeled kids bikes?

Here is a picture of the type of bike I am looking at…

I reckon with a change to rigid fork the weight of the Specialized will be on par with the lighter Isla Bike.

Clink

Got an On-one with the older 420 a-to-c (steel) if that’s light enough?? Currently bright orange so you might want to re-paint!!

tomaso
    Free Member

Won’t the On-One fork be for an adults bike with 26 inch wheels?

Clink

Yes – I posted without thinking as heading out the door 😳

jeffl

Don’t know how much the Specialized is but we got our Son a Carrera Blast from Halfords. Can’t remember how much it cost us but it’s currently available for £160. Yes it has front suspension but it doesn’t seem crazy heavy. In fact it seems to weigh about the same as the Isla Bikes Cnoc 14 he had before it, and that didn’t have a suspension fork.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_729003_langId_-1_categoryId_165602

ampthill

My kids both had those. I hated to fork ide but no real harm. A quick google reveals lots of BMX forks but would they be lighter?

PTR
    Free Member
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Q? Kids bike suspension to rigid fork swap???’ is closed to new replies.