Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Q.. for motorcycle enthusiasts
  • maxsatnav
    Free Member

IF buying a bike from a breakers yard as a “project build”

stolen
    write offs
    what are the pitfalls?? other that the above

how difficult to get re registered etc

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes. Two sources – auctions for complete but crashed bikes and breakers for secondhand parts stripped off crashed bikes and sometimnes they will sell on the whole bike

maxsatnav
    Free Member

TJ thanks for that just edited my post as i found a local one on google should of done that first 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It will be very expensive to complete usually. Secondhand bikes are often worth more in parts than as a complete bike and you might end up with a Q plate if the age of the bike is indeterminate which devalues it. So building a stock bike from seconhand parts is not worth it

Unless you want to build a special its not really worth getting write off and rebuilding it.

Teh exception would be if its a faired sports bike and you want to make a unfaired streetfighter

maxsatnav
    Free Member

thinking more of a small 250 single cylinder four stroke trail road legal jobby as a restoration

i guessed the split bike is worth more as parts so was hoping to get a complete bike and go from there,

gusamc
    Free Member

do road legal check before buying (ie get a accurate trail of who owns and what it’s legal status is), be aware that only some ins ‘write off’ levels can be made re-legal (C/D)
    I’d also look on ebay, local papers, etc

reregistered – well I had to register an import and DVLA refused until I got from the ‘trade’ an age certificate – ie they wouldn’t believe me but a bit of paper signed by a bike dealer was obviously truthful ….

I’d probably do a spares search (ie check several breakers have parts of bike about to buy and at what cost) before buying as well coz if you have to buy much at list price it’ll be cripplingly expensive. Also check availability of any critical parts as if you have a 99.5% runner it ain’t that good.
    (but I did get an old dt175 to use for motoball for 50 and about 4 fisinhing boxes of spares for a tenner ….)

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ve never bought from a breakers but the bikes I’ve seen for sale always looked very poor value. It would seem you can often buy a running road legal bike in need of some TLC for about the same as a crashed bike in similar condition.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not a trail bike, but I’ve got a CB-1 (400) project littering my garage at the moment. It would make a very nice bike for not much cash (or effort).

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve bought damaged bikes & put them back on the road for years, its a good way to ride nice bikes without the money tied up in them.
    I normally buy & repair over winter & ride all summer, then sell the following spring – rarely lose money doing it this way.
    I’ve had bargains from these dealers as well as searching for ‘damage’ & ‘damaged’ on Ebay (also a good source of reasonably priced parts)
    http://www.cheshiremotorcyclesalvage.com/
    http://rsmotorcycles.co.uk/
    http://www.m1salvageandbreakers.co.uk/YAMAHA_bikes_breaking.htm
    Plenty of third party damaged will not be on the register if the accident was the riders fault.
    Think I’ve done about 8 in the last 11 years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Q.. for motorcycle enthusiasts’ is closed to new replies.