Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)
  • Q cars – what would you have?
  • hora
    Free Member

How about a E39 540 then?

ourmaninthenorth

I’m still of the view that no beemers can really be true Q cars, as joe public thinks they’re all by definition “fast”.

But that Alpina sure is pretty.

TheFlyingOx

There’s a lot to be said for the Mitsubishi Legnum VR4. Most of it bad, but by God do they shift.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

If you liked the Mazda 3 how about a nice Mazda 6 sport? 2.2 diesel 180 bhp with the option to chip it to around 220bhp and they look quite smart!

Edukator
    Free Member

A 400 BHP Golf might be a q-car, a 400 BHP BMW most definitely isn’t.

A V6 Citroën C5 is the car that’s surprised me most recently. As a passenger it created one of those what-the-hell’s-going-on-here-? moments.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

hora – Member

Don’t get a VRS- Gawd they are hideous.

Don’t you drive a Citroen C1?

I’ll say Octavia vRS.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Does it look fast? With “small person on board” sign in the back and bike racks on the roof?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Q cars? i’d have a bike myself

ourmaninthenorth

If you liked the Mazda 3 how about a nice Mazda 6 sport? 2.2 diesel 180 bhp with the option to chip it to around 220bhp and they look quite smart!

Too many scare stories about DPF induced engine failures (otherwise a serious contender).

A V6 Citroën C5 is the car that’s surprised me most recently. As a passenger it created one of those what-the-hell’s-going-on-here-? moments

That’s what we’re talking about. Gliding along then whoooosh!

v10
    Free Member

R36 passat?

sbob
    Free Member

None of you have really got the hang of this, have you?

Try this:

With a 350BHP 2 litre turbo and short throw gearbox (wasn’t mine).

ourmaninthenorth

sbob – agree that’s a true sleeper, but a bity too shed-like for my liking..!

Passat R36 – appeals to the guilty secret part of me (rest of me loathes VW’s branded smugness).

hora
    Free Member

Sorry BWD I just don’t like them. They look like a large rounded-fridge/white goods appliance.

..don’t take it personal. Its a car!!! Its not a Q car.

The C1 is amazing. I mean that. Its pared-down, basic, a lustful 3cylinder engine that LOVES to be revved bloody hard and sounds nice. It only weighs 700kg’s. My only gripe is it should be cheaper.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My old man had a Saab 9000 Turbo that had a very non-standard Mitsubishi blower fitted, the thing was good for 204bhp apparently and having driven it myself a few times the bloody thing went like an Exocet missile once the turbo had been wound up.

I had an Alfa 156 V6, which was otherwise identical to any other 156 (save for a subtle bodykit), but at 192bhp it doesn’t really count as a Q car I suppose…if I had to pick anything, it would be a 1990 Golf Limited.

Sorted.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I had a 3 litre 406. Great Q-car. 200hp, looked like a taxi, 0-60 in 7sec, climate control. Not incredible performance but completely invisible.

Only downside, the fuel consumption was some way past the far side of stupid.

renton
    Free Member

Ourman it’s was the earlier models with the dpf problems bud!!

2010 models onwards( so facelift version) is fine!!

passtherizla
    Free Member

BMW 335D/535D touring.

ourmaninthenorth

Ourman it’s was the earlier models with the dpf problems bud!!

2010 models onwards( so facelift version) is fine!!

Useful. Cheers. TBH most of my mileage is on the motorway (c20k pa), so it ought to be less of an issue.

Edukator
    Free Member

That Daewoo if a left hooker and on an American site, Slob. I drove a 250bhp Astra turbo in the same body as that, an awful thing.

br
    Free Member

Perfect in a straight line, but did even the police ones go round corners?

Yep, mine did once I’d sorted out the 4-wheel suspension settings.

A V6 Citroën C5 is the car that’s surprised me most recently. As a passenger it created one of those what-the-hell’s-going-on-here-? moments

I had a company BX 16v years ago, same kind of effect; 160bhp and 1000kg’s = sub 8secs 0-60.

A Q car needs to be one that people either don’t think is fast or don’t associate with been driven fast. So no Beemers, Alfas or anything that looks fast, and if its battered/old that helps.

renton
    Free Member

This is mine……….

ourmaninthenorth

Doom blue..!

(where’s the satnav?)

parkesie
    Free Member

alfa 155 in v6 or q4 flavour.
    Or maybe a senator

messiah
    Free Member

Is 200hp through the front wheels still seen as the figure it gets a pointless?

stumpy01

hora – C1 weighs quite a bit more than 700kg…

Struggling to think of any q-cars these days straight out of the box. Problem is that there are so many reasonably quick ‘normal’ cars around now that a q-car has to be even quicker. And the quicker the car, the more jewellery it wears to mark it out as such.

A lot of the cars posted above with the big wheels, twin exhausts & skirts don’t look very q IMO.

I think I’d be tempted to get something like a diesel Mondeo, like a Titanium spec & get a remap & what not for it.
    Or something with the VAG 1.9tdi in it. Mine can be mapped up to about 170/180bhp (from 130) apparently with no other mods. Or you can get a front mounted intercooler, bigger turbo, better exhaust & go a lot higher….
    Not sure how this would go down with insurance company though…

I_Ache
    Free Member

renton I thought you had a 3 series coupe?

ourmaninthenorth

Not sure how this would go down with insurance company though…

That’s an entirely different question..!

hora
    Free Member

800kg’s although on the stamping on the bodywork mine has a 7 in it.

tlr

The most Q car I ever had was a Volvo V70 R, 300bhp and all wheel drive. And a huge boot. And a drink problem.

Next car will probably be the A6 Bi-Turbo, 300bhp diesel that’ll do 44mpg.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Built a fully spaceframed MK1 Mini back in time, with a full steel billet cranked 1480cc engine, twin 40 DCOES, race cam, steel flip front end, engine/frame came off with 6 bolts on quick release hoses. Fully rose jointed coilover suspension, no subframes, etc.
    Wouldn’t idle under a VERY lumpy 2k revs :-/
    Had it in grey primer with “banded” plain steel wheels for about 6mths whilst finishing getting it set up.
    It used to eat 911’s, Carlton’s, etc for breakfast 😀
    Guy who bought it off me still has – it’s now in Pearl White, still with the steelies and he supercharged the **** thing 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

There’s a lot to be said for the Mitsubishi Legnum VR4. Most of it bad, but by God do they shift.
    You’re on ClubVR4 aren’t you. I recognise the username im sure. We may have even met….

ericemel
    Free Member

Simple

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anything that looks like a batmobile with 4 exhaust pipes and an //M badge can’t qualify surely?

renton
    Free Member

No sat nav for me I’ve got a road atlas in the boot!

Iache I’ve never had a Beemer?

shifter
    Free Member

A Q car is something that looks nowt but goes like stink. Some examples here are Q car FAILS!

phil56

A Q car is something that looks nowt but goes like stink. Some examples here are Q car FAILS!

Exactly – a Q car needs an element of disguise – not just taking a badge off!

messiah
    Free Member

With 4 wheel drive, 240bhp and 400+lbft 8)

Saccades
    Free Member

The 1.8VVT rover van?

160bhp in a rover 200 van which weighs 1100kg or so.

michaelbowden

Now ^^^^ is a Q car! 🙂

Edit – Not quick enought not the Rover the Transporter Van

meehaja
    Free Member

I’m really tempted by the ex police V70’s on ebay for £3-4k. 180000 miles, but 300bhp (allegedly)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Q cars – what would you have?’ is closed to new replies.