Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pyrolytic ovens – anyone got one?
  • sparkyspice
    Free Member

Does the pyrolytic cleaning function actually work?
    I’m all for an easy life! is it worth the extra cost?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, two. First one had fixed pyrolytic panels and the second had removable ones.
    Both worked great.

TrevorB

I have an Electrolux version. It works well, wish you could leave the shelves etc. in too!
    Makes the kitchen very hot and a bit smelly when it’s cleaning, but it soon goes away.
    Can’t comment on the cost as I got mine with staff discount.

HTH

Trevor

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

We had one for nearly 10 years. Only problem we had was that it burnt the grease off the cooling fan so developed a squeak for a few weeks after cleaning. Would definitely buy again – ours was a siemens fwiw

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

T add balance, I’ve got a Miele with the function, never use it TBH. wouldn’t pay extra for it.

lodious
    Free Member

We have one, it’s OK….stinks out the kitchen (windows open and avoid going in the kitchen while cleaning) It tends to leave a residue on the glass, which is hard to remove. Our’s doesn’t get the oven ‘clean’, but it does burn off the stuff that smells when you cook.

Think it might have needed the mains uprating to install it(?).

I find it useful, but wouldn’t be fussed if we didn’t have it. A lot of it depends what you cook, if you only heat up pizza’s or do cassoroles, it’s probably not worth it, but if you do a lot of roast dinners / Yorkshire pud’s it’s good for burning off the fat which tends to splatter onto the oven walls.

jimification
    Free Member

We’ve got one just because the oven happened to have it (Ikea), used the pyro function once. 500c for an hour or something…seems like a huge waste of money and resources to me. Maybe if you really save up several years worth of sausage grease and then fire it up it’s worth it but personally I wouldn’t bother with it again.

The real reason to get one is that at 500c you can almost do a proper pizza. You need to find a way to override the door lock though, or you’ll be helplessly watching your doughy creation burn to a crisp.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Thanks all!
    I think that has tipped the balance towards getting one as there are lots of roast dinners eaten here!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’ll generally want a 32a dedicated supply for it though as mentioned above. don’t get one if your oven is currently installed on the main ring as you probably won’t have enough juice to run it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

seems like a huge waste of money and resources to me

The Siemens ovens are rated at 3600W. If that ran on full power for 3 hours it would cost you about £1.50 (but the reality is it’s nowhere near that). A spray can of Mr Muscle oven cleaner from Tesco is £4 and full of nasty caustic chemicals. I know which I’d prefer. We probably only ran it once a year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pyrolytic ovens – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.