Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pyrenees/Canigou trip – a few pics..
  • Alex

Four of us on a self supported trip up to Canigou and back again. First time we'd tried "expedition" riding and it was brilliant. Hard, occasionally terrifying (some big drops on the GR10), huge descents and the discovery that beer tastes even better at 7500ft ASL.

IMG_3878 by dave_hoyland, on Flickr

IMG_3832 by dave_hoyland, on Flickr

IMG_3874 by dave_hoyland, on Flickr

Pyrenees/Canigou 3 day trip by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Pyrenees/Canigou 3 day trip by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Few more here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1534787@N22/pool/with/4927614744/ if you like Mountain Scenery.

Currently planning the return trip in late Oct. Unfinished business.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Look nice – thinking about the Pyrenees this winter myself.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Lovely stuff – can't beat a big mountain adventure 😛

Alex

I'd recommend it. There are 100s of trails and the lodges/mountain huts are very good indeed. Too hot when we went, left it late but still a heatwave, climbing with a 10k pack in 35 degree heat on white fireroads for 90 minutes makes a man of you 😉

ajantom

Lovely riding round there! My mum lives in Prades at the base of Canigou, so I know the area well 8)

Once did a race that started at Espira-de-Conflent and finished about 300m below the summit. Then we had (I say had, it was a joy!) to ride all the way back down to the bottom for the prize-giving. The French know how to put on a race – fresh fruit, beer, wine, sausages and cheese all laid on for free 😀

disco_stu
    Free Member

looks great, I've stayed at Ille-sur-Tet a few times at a friends parents place and could see the Canigou in the distance and have wondered about taking my bike there.

Alex

The GR10 that takes you to the Alpine lodge below Canigou ain't a huge amount of fun. It's not really ridable (by mortals) for about 80% of the way and there are so big f-ing drops to the right if you slip. I wore down an entire set of Studs on my SPDs carrying/pushing/riding for 4 hours!

We're looking for another way up, think we've fine one on a black VTT coming up from Ameily-Les-Baines. We came down a black into there and it was awesome. An hour's worth of descending.

We never made the peak. It was another 600m from the lodge and everyone said "don't take a bike up there, you'll be carrying it both ways". Instead we got lost and descended 900M on the wrong side of the mountain. Oh how we laughed. Afterwards.

Took the train from VilleFranche to Ille-sur-Tet on the way back because of my partially broken bike. All trains should be like that!

I'm hoping to go back from the 70k Randonee starting near my friend's place at St Marsal. Apparently the post ride food/BBQ is worth the suffering 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

cheers for these pictures, i'm feeling inspired! off to the pyrenees in just over a week and a bit and have a few days extra after the rest of the group has departed. have been trying to think about what to do with these days and something like this may be the answer. need to start planning though….

Ippy
    Free Member

Hi Alex, Cool pics of your Canigou trip. We are doing a 4 day trip from St Pierre dels Forcats to Argeles sur Mare in a few weeks and have tested quite a few of the trails around the area. Would be interested in your "unfinished business" as we might be able to help.

Alex

Ippy – I'll drop you a mail later. There's a route from a mountain hut that I really fancy but don't want another 4 hour carry if it's "one of those" !

Peachos – drop me a mail if you want any more info. Also couple of good sites with routes on I can pass on.

nickc

what broke?

vondally
    Free Member

FAB, we stayed a week just outside prades a couple of years ago the ride to the hostel at canigou under blue skies is still one of my favourite rides ever. Loads of trails in the area, vastly underrated and better than the alps.

Alex

Nick – er lots of things really. Bit of a long story. Shall explain when I have the new one in my hand!

cuckoo
    Free Member

looks awesome 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees/Canigou trip – a few pics..’ is closed to new replies.