Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pyrenees – lift assisted riding on French side. Anyone done it?
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Evening all.

At a loose end for a week near Carcassone. Any lift assisted biking available a day trip away that anyone knows of? My wee bike is absolutely goosed following the Mega so anything pedally is out the question. Don’t really want to go as far as Andorra and the Valnord bike park, just wondered if any of the French side resorts did anything in the summer anyone knew of.

Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

Andorra is the closest bit of the Pyrenees, how much nearer do you want? There are French resorts (eg Luchon, which is great) but they are further away.

grum
    Free Member

Soldeu/Grandvalira is a little bit closer than Vallnord and well worth a visit IMO. I think there is uplift at Ax-les-Thermes too but I’ve never been.

Bregante

La Molina is 2 hrs 45 mins from carcassonne and is blummin ace

Bregante

I knew I’d seen a thread on here about this.

What are the chances?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pyrenees-french-side-advice

*i need to get a life 😐

grum
    Free Member

There’s Les Angles too.

http://www.bike-park-66.com/

Brycey
    Free Member

Thanks all, Vallnord is 160km from where I am which isn’t too bad.

Brycey
    Free Member

Les Angles a mere 100km, cheers Grum

scottfitz
    Free Member

I have ridden Les Angles, good trails worth a day trip.

cy

If you want to get your bike up and running again, might be worth spending some time and money with AQR Holidays in Luchon. Ian’s got a full pro workshop facility and a fair few spares. Also there’s riding on the SuperBagneres. Top of the lift is 1200m above Luchon. It’s not a groomed bike park, but Ian will be able to show you some ace trails down the mountain.

AQR Holidays

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ll echo Cy’s comments. The lift isn’t open all day every day though, and there’s a lot of awesome trails elsewhere in the area that require a bit of pedal to get to them.

igrf
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit in the Pyrenees, even had it mapped on trail guru which was a forunner to Strava, but their site has up and vanished and taken all my pics with it. I can’t remember the name of the nearest village, but they ran a tractor-trailor uplift and had rental bikes and all sorts of other weirdness (big wheel scooter things) on hand if they felt you couldn’t ride a bike well enough.

As I’m typing this I’m wondering if iPhoto might have the map co-ordinates, I shall go look and if it does, I’ll return and edit, it wasn’t a bad spot, nothing to difficult and about a 45min – 1 hr descent.

Brycey
    Free Member

Cheers Grum, had a quality day up at Les Angles today.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Brycey, Sorry to hijack but were the lifts running in Les Angles and how long was the drive from Carcassonne. The Outlaws have a house at Carcassonne so it’s good to know these things, cheers.

ocrider

The drive from Carcassonne to Les Angles is fantastic (via Quillan and Axat) although it’s around 100kms, it’s a long journey!
    The lifts run 7/7 in July and August

Brycey
    Free Member

Yeah to repeat that, not that far, but long drive due to small roads. Made up for by the gorges and col. Took me two hours from Belveze-du-Razes (20 mins from Carcassonne on Limoux side).

Not that much lift elevation (500m) but plenty of quality trails, was quiet, and everyone was friendly.

ianv
    Free Member

Nearest is la mont DES olmes near lavalanet, don’t know what it’s like though (definitely small) Then in order of distance: ax les thermes (apparently good), les angles (good but only 4 real pistes and pretty expensive), la Molina (good), luchon, St lLary (apparently good), cauterets (apparently good), soldeau (good), Val nord (very good). If it was me, I would head to ax les thermes, we checked it out but couldn’t ride as the fog had closed the lifts but there is potential for some long runs, it’s not too expensive and everyone who I have asked says it’s good. It’s also a pretty easy drive from carcassone.

Mugboo

We pedalled up at Ax due to closed lifts and enjoyed a lovely narrow, rooty blue run which was over all too quick.

The runs at Luchon are more like all your favourite uk descents but all lined up in one go. Took us ages to get back to the bottom but we had huge grins 🙂

stavromuller
    Free Member

Superbagneres out of Luchon, best five euros I’ve ever spent

WillC9999
    Free Member

Just got back from Ax in the Pyreneees. Disappointed with the lift-assisted stuff, but with caveats. I am a confident ‘red’ sort of rider, not averse to the odd black bit but not a downhiller of any sort. It was not clear to me exactly whether the marked descents from were actually proper DH stuff or more reasonable. I rode the route marked as red. it was a bizarre mix of completely untechnical dirt, tracks and ‘silly’ DH (difficult carrying *down*hill!). It looked like there had been very little work done on it. It was washed out everywhere. Now, I realise I shouldn’t have expected an hour of Spooky Wood, but I was disappointed.
    I did Luchon a few years back and experienced something similar, although rather better. A tiny bit of bike park stuff at the top then basically follow the track/path. The final GR path was nicely technical, the rest largely a waste of height. I think the key is getting local input, there are obviously loads of good trails, *if* you can find them. Marmot Tours do Ax, and AQR Luchon I believe.
    On the plus side, I can recommend the area around Le Mayet de Montagne near Vichy entirely – buckets of easy to find high quality XC riding, and a lovely village with pool. Been there 3 times now and still just scratched the surface 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees – lift assisted riding on French side. Anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.