Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pyrenees Cycling Accommodation and Road Bike Hire recommendations please
  • doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Next June I’ve booked flights to Lourdes for a long weekend as a group of 4. If anyone can recommend either decent bike friendly accommodation and or road bike hire I would be very grateful. We probably prefer self catering but open to any suggestions.

We are looking to be based around Argeles-Gazost with the Tourmalet on the must do list. I’ve stayed in this area before a couple of times but not for a long time and never with bike.

fifeandy
    Free Member

The Pyrenees aren’t really best suited to basing from one location, but if I was going to pick a base i’d choose Bagnères-de-Luchon, there’s 4(and a half) major climbs you can do from there (Portillon, Superbagnères, Port de Balès, Col de Peyresourde -> Peyragudes).
    If you desperately want to do the Tourmalet, i’d try to organise a company to do a transfer for you and either transfer to near Pau and ride back over the Col d’Aubisque (stunning!) and Tourmalet to be met again in Campan , OR chain Peyresourde, Aspin, Tourmalet

MrSparkle

Not sure if this is much help but a few years ago we had a family holiday staying on one of the campsites in Luz St Sauvuer and I hired both road and mountain bikes from a shop in the town. It’s right at the foot of the Tourmalet and Luz Ariden.
    A search on Google comes up with this place that does accommodation too: http://ardidenvelos.com/?lang=3 Not sure if it’s the same place but it might be useful.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd

wait4me

Had a 5 day trip last month staying in Saint Lary Soulan. Pretty good spot for a short trip IMHO. You’re in a good location for plenty of rides. Town is ok with a few restaurants and bars. We stayed in a cheap hotel but being a ski town there’s plenty of options. Think rental might be an issue, but renting a bike box and flying was a doddle.

Mackem

Doug at http://www.basquemtb.com might be able to help. They did have a road bike holiday section for a bit, that seems to have gone but he’ll still have the contacts.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Pyreenes Cycling Lodge

My wife and I spent a 5 days here in Sept. We rode Lac D’Estaing, Borderes, Solur to Aubisque via Cirque du Litor. Tourmalet, Hautacam, Luz Ardiden all from the cycling lodge. Breakfast and Dinner were included.

Great location and fantastic hosts. We drove from Ayrshire 😯

It’s a stunning part of the world.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

That looks interesting, thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pyrenees Cycling Accommodation and Road Bike Hire recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.