• This topic has 27 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • PYGA OneTen-29 – Pics
  • Alex

Built

Pyga OneTen 29 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Pyga OneTen 29 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Not got round to dropping that 140mm rev down to 120mm yet. Too damn hot for any further spannering.

A quick spin suggests much fun tomorrow. Unless I melt first. The wheels/bars/stem are off my Solaris until I decide what I want. My endless dithering over size proved to be pointless. Seat tube is taller than Solaris but standover is actually a bit more.

Went together suspiciously easily although I handed over all the tricky bits to a responsible adult. Some really nice touches for cable routing, etc. Loads of room for a 2.2 tyre as well out back.

And it’s greener than that. So much greener!

daftvader
    Free Member

Thats a lovely thing and it is very green. Must get in touch with the importer about a demo of the 650 one……

jameso

not keen on this new seat-mast reinforcement shape trend (RM, Kona, Pyga etc) but top marks for a great colour and black kit+forks, looks ace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    monkeychild
    Free Member

That’s nice that!! It looks fun too.

Alex

There’s a blooming big gusset there, but yeah probably look really odd in three years when the next design thing has moved in. Feels like a lot of fun although will need to play with suspension etc tomorrow. Still there’s worse things to do on dustry trails in the sunshine 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Like it Alex, let us know how the first ride goes.

slackalice
    Free Member

Nice one Alex! The green is indeed a lovely colour, as is the orange of the 650 version – which I incidentally have 😀

I suspect the 29 is very similar in ride quality to the 650 and having done the PPdS a couple of weeks ago on mine, they are much fun on all gradients 😀

Enjoy!

Alex

Yeah ta for your advice as well. I was wandering around the bike expo at Chatel and they had a dealer with a 650b and a 29er that had both done PPDS. Fella was singing the praises of both. Still he probably wanted to sell me one. When I asked about mud clearance on the rear, he was keen to point out he’d done the PPDS saturday (as had I) which I felt settled that argument 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

Yep, I met the chap at Chatel too, he was very excited to see another 650! He started to speak to me in German until I replied slowly and loudly…

We did Friday, sat out Saturday and back over to Chatel on Sunday. Hans Dampf’s 2.35’s, tubeless were incredible in both wet and dry and acceptable clearance, although the mud between Morzine and Les Lindarets on the Sunday was ridiculously sticky and clogged everything and everyone up, to the point where I passed at least two ‘riders’ who had ripped their rear mech’s off due to the accumulation of mud.

In the lift queues, my PYGA certainly received many looks and questions from people and a chap who claimed to be a bike shop owner in Thonon stopped beside me at the end of one of the Chatel bike park runs to ask me about the bike as he was considering whether to become a dealer. Apparently he had been trying to catch me up!! It’s a quick bike!

Alex

🙂 I might have to revisit the current 180/160 rotors. The fella I met was appropriately German seemingly very keen to explain bearing sizes and the like to me. In the interests of cross border relationships, I did my best to look interested 😉

Friday looked okay. Saturday was an epic. We didn’t finish but we were finished. Six hours or so and on the Champery lift, I’m fairly sure it was snowing. Sunday was just an exercise in collecting mud.

It was still fantastic tho. We’ll be back next year. Not sure on which bike yet.

slackalice
    Free Member

😀 180/160’s were/are good enough for sure! Certainly didn’t envy those of you who were out on the Saturday.

Agreed, the weekend was fantastic and if you’ve still got your Rocket, then it’s a wonderful decision to have to make 😉

nickc

Like the solaris better, sorry.

(but then you know my views on FS)

Alex

I do indeed. And the Solaris is staying. I’ve given in to my middle aged kleptomania 😉

forge197
    Free Member

Alex thats is a very Nice bike, goes off to look further.

Slackalice, my mech was ripped off on the Sunday from the sticky mid, I converted to singlespeed rode to Les Lindarettes and the road and vtt back to Morzine.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Best looking 29ers going. Fact.

Alex

Well we had a cracking ride today in the Yat. It’s a brilliant climber, lots of traction everywhere and so much easier than dragging up a 32lb bike with a 2.5 tyre. I’m not sure that’s a 29er benefit, more having ridden my Rocket for six weeks with big tyres. Downhill, much fun, not sure I’ve got that fork dialled but the back end – even tho it’s only 110mm – feels bottomless. Had a couple of fastest times on descents today and I’m nowhere near working out what the bike can do.

Might leave it at 140mm for the moment.

Malverns Tuesday, let’s see how it does on the steeps and rocks. So far tho, so good 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

😀 Great to hear your first impressions are like mine were and still are Alex. The rear suspension does certainly feel incredibly capable. Patrick Morewood’s bikes have a great reputation for their ability on the descents and these 29 and 650 bikes of his new venture are continuing along the same lines 🙂

@ forge – did we speak in one of the lift lines in Chatel?

Frankers
    Free Member

Have rode mine with 25% sag but think it needs to be a bit lower, still not bottomed it out

Great looking bikes!!

slackalice
    Free Member

I’ve found 30% sag front and rear to be the sweet spot for me. Hope that helps.

Alex

Just been out again in the Malverns. Which were looser than the morals of an alley cat 🙂 30% sag on the rear was super plush but didn’t bottom out over a few jumps and drops and wasn’t noticeably boingy on the climbs (I just have the shock floodgate wide open and leave it there otherwise I’ll forget). Got a couple of PRs on climbs and a KoM on my fav singletrack descent. By a second, but hey it’s still a KoM 🙂

Definitely would like to try the forks at 130 or 120 and maybe swap the front race king for a hans dampf. And I chipped my first bit of paint under the BB 🙁

Tomorrow I shall be riding it again in the Forest. Be rude not too really.

mos

Here’s mine.
    30lbs ish, kind of the perfect combo of the 2 bikes it replaced (5 spot & Lurcher)

PYGA on Norland by marcusandcath, on Flickr

Alex

Wow that’s three now 🙂 That a large or an XL?

mos

It’s an xl. I’m 6’2″ with a long torso, so i was after something with a longish tt but without a 22″ seat tube so i could still run a 5″ reverb.
    Awesome aren’t they?

Alex

It would seem so. Just been out on mine for the third time (in four days 🙂 ) and finding it great up and downhill. I sort of forget it’s a 29er, it’s just a fun bike to ride. I really wish I didn’t have to go to work tomorrow as I’d love to rag it round a couple of laps of cwmcarn next.

charliemort

anyone know the frame weight on these?

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi chaps

Where did you buy your bikes? Do they have a UK importer?

They look lovely!

Cheers

Sanny

slackalice
    Free Member

Charliemort, Sanny, I can’t remember the frame weight, but if you do a search in this forum, you’ll find it as it was quoted by Craig, who no longer works for the importer/distributor, who are R53 Sport

PYGA!

Alex

I think mine (L) was a tad under 7lbs which sounds quite porky. Think the build is 29lbs ish. There’s a couple of dealers who are doing them as well, not sure who tho. I dealt with Roger at R53 (and Craig before who was great, shame he’s moved on).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘PYGA OneTen-29 – Pics’ is closed to new replies.