Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pwllheli
  • Harry_the_Spider

Off to Pwllheli at the weekend with the kids for their birthdays.
    Staying at the Haven place on the site of the old Butlitz camp. The pool looks ace! The kids (and their dad) will love it.

The weather looks OK, so we’re contemplating packing the wetsuits and boards. What is the beach like? If it is ankle deep for the first 2 miles or covered in submerged rocks we won’t bother though.

allan23
    Free Member

Only time I ever went was in December for a weekend of rock music and being drunk. All I recall was centrally heated caravans and staggering back at 3am.

The beach was sandy from what I remember, never went near the water.

Stoner
    Free Member

Whistling sands round the corner is supposed to be very nice spot.

chakaping
    Free Member

Check out Llanbedrog beach.

Great for kids as it’s sheltered. Very pretty too.

maybe not great for surfing tho

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

Body boarding, not surfing. I didn’t make that apparent. We’re not that cool 8)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Beaches are pretty good, you’ll probably want to go on the beach to the left of the marina as you’re looking out to sea. Wind is blowing ESE next weekend which, luckily for you, is the direction that’s likely to bring the best surf.

Llanbedrog will not be sheltered from the surf but it’s fairly shallow so the tide will go out a fair way. That said high tide is at about 1pm so you’ll be OK for depth wherever you go.

If you fancy eating out at all I’d recommend Dylans on the ‘beach’ in Criccieth and is only a short drive from where you’re staying.

marcus7
    Free Member

The pool is pretty good if a bit long in the tooth and good for wearing the kids out. The site is OK and the best haven site I’ve been too, beach there is not the best and definitely there are better along the coast, if you need a workout then hire a bike, if you saw Guy Martin last night then you’ll see what they are like to pedal!!! Loads to see and do off site so don’t feel like you have to be there!

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

It is the kids’ call as it is their birthday weekend.

Fluming, Body Boarding, Strictly & Curry.

SiB
    Free Member

Porth Neigwl, also known as “Hell’s Mouth”, is a broad bay, about 5 km on the south coast of the Ll?n Peninsula. Vwery popular with surfers, might be a bit too ‘wavey’ for youngsters though if wind blowing in right direction.

Beach is approx. 5 km long so you will always find a quiet spot if you want to keep away from the surfers.

SiB
    Free Member

Porth Neigwl, also known as “Hell’s Mouth”, is a broad bay, about 5 km on the south coast of the Ll?n Peninsula. Vwery popular with surfers, might be a bit too ‘wavey’ for youngsters though if wind blowing in right direction.

Beach is approx. 5 km long so you will always find a quiet spot if you want to keep away from the surfers.

windydave13
    Free Member

Beaches for a bit of surf in that area:
    Porth Ceriad – Can get a very big
    Hells Mouth – Lives up to its name
    Aberdaron – Usualy half to 1/4 size of Hells Mouth
    Whistling Sands – Better if its howling a southerly gale

Have a look at the surf report from WestCoastSurf that gets updated daily: http://www.westcoastsurf.co.uk/surfreport.htm

Pigface
    Free Member

Big swell forecast this week so be careful when playing in the water.

windydave13
    Free Member

Last time i attempted to surf “Ceiriad” i took a proper pasting – Can get quite meaty

Harry_the_Spider

Looks a bit lumpy. We’ll play it by ear.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Porth Ceriad – Can get a very big (especially on a SE)
    Hells Mouth – Lives up to its name (probably tame this weekend but there are rips and I’d advise against it if kids are small – no facilities there either)
    Aberdaron – Usually half to 1/4 size of Hells Mouth (land that time forgot … will take nearly an hour to get there)
    Whistling Sands – Better if its howling a southerly gale

tillydog
    Free Member

I thought I was going to die* in Porth Ceriad.

Be careful!

*Just messing about body-surfing in big-ish waves and I suddenly got whisked out in a rip. I found myself in confused water that made it very difficult to swim and swell high enough that I couldn’t even see the bottom of the cliffs, let alone the beach. Had just made up my mind to shout for help when a wave picked me up and the sea underneath me sucked back to reveal shingle about 8′ below where I was very grateful to be dumped. This must be over 20 years ago, but it still spooks me.

mahalo

we can see the Haven place from my inlaws front windows, when ever we go we always walk the dog on the beach immediately east of there, dont know the name, its big, and has great views over the mountains but the water is like a mill pond, probably ankle deep for the first 2 miles & covered in submerged rocks too! if we wanna spend time on a beach we go to Pwllheli, Llandbedrog or Abersoch. Pwllheli beach, esp up near the harbour is really nice, soft clean sand and quite sheltered, but again the marina takes the brunt of the waves so the beach is always calm.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I fish off Porth Ceriad and Hells Mouth and I can tell you that the tide on the headland between the two is absolutely frightening – our boat has been spun around like it was going down a plug and when it’s flat calm you can see the whirlpools.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pwllheli

Bless you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pwllheli’ is closed to new replies.