Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Putting tyre sealant into standard presta inner tubes, is it easy?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yes, I know you can buy them ready filled. Yes, I know you can just go tubeless. 😀
    I’m just wondering how easy it is to do it DIY, the presta valves on standard inner tubes look to be much smaller than on a tubeless kit, how easy is it to get the gunk in?

Andy-R

You could use Schwalbe tubes (which have removable Presta cores) and a syringe, I suppose. That’s how I add sealant to ghetto tubeless set-ups.

wwaswas

ahat AndyR said – I did this using the Joe’s sealant bottle – it’s no problem.

Not as effective as proper tubeless as if you get a thorn in the tyre it can make several holes in the tube over time which all need sealing.

And you can still pinch puncture so need to keep pressures up.

tonyg2003

Yep I’ve used the removable core schwalbe inner tubes with stans for a couple of year. Just riding along do them.

BigJohn

Make a little hole, pour in Stans, then stick a patch over it.

MtbRoutes

I had a box of Continental tubes with removeable cores too. Stan’s inside.

Works great until you pinch or otherwise trash the tube, whereupon you have to spend half an hour picking thorns out of your tyre casing before you can replace it. On the whole though saved me a lot of time and punctures out in Spain.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. some things I’d not considered.
    I specifically wanted to try this with my Conti Supersonic inner tubes for use on my canal commuter, trying to keep everything as light as possible, but constantly got thorns last year. Hadn’t thought about putting a nick in the tube, I might have to resort to that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Putting tyre sealant into standard presta inner tubes, is it easy?’ is closed to new replies.