Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • putting tv bracket up – help please
  • sefton
    Free Member

I need to put a tv bracket up.

plaster board / small air gap / brick

which screws and plugs do I need?

cheers

dooosuk
    Free Member

What size/weight TV and how many screws in the bracket?

sefton
    Free Member

32inch I think

2 holes for screws.

johndoh
    Free Member

You would be best off finding a wooden baton and screwing into that using a decent length wood screw.

If you absolutely can’t do that, use some kind of heavy duty plater board fixing such as this one

Another thing to consider is the type of bracket you are fixing to the wall – if it is adjustable, I would be *VERY* concerned about it ripping the fixings out of the wall when pulling the arm around.

wwaswas

I’d ignore the plasterbord and just go straight through to the brick and anchor in that. Just add 30mm or so to the fixing length to allow for the tickness of p’board and air gap.

nickjb
    Free Member

2 screws doesn’t seem many. Most are at least 4. These fixings are good but might be a bit pricey (especially if you only need 2) http://cpc.farnell.com/dryline-pro/dlpro50/dryline-pro-dot-n-dab-fixing-50pk/dp/FN02497?CMP=CPC-PLA

Cheaper option is to hack out some plasterboard then screw a wood batten directly to the wall

sefton
    Free Member

I would want to go into the brick.

but all the plugs I can see are only around 2″ long (I guess only the tip of the plug would go into the brick)?

would these do the trick? http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-frame-fixing-dia8mm-l80mm-pack-of-6/254745_BQ.prd?ecamp=Aff-78888&awc=483_1468851451_8e656212e886e3bfff309559c64d5b04

wwaswas
    mrjmt
    Free Member

Push the plug all the way through the plasterboard and into the brick so its sat flush with the face of the brick.

Edit: But do this using the wallbolts linked above, or suitable plugs with coach screws.

Don’t over tighten them and bust the plaster board.

johndoh
    Free Member

Surely if you went into the brick behind the plasterboard, the pivot action of having the bolt not being flush to the face of the brickwork would mean it just rips out?…

johndoh
    Free Member

Perhaps you should cut a neat square out of the plasterboard then fix a wooden baton to the wall which could be used as a base – you could still drill right through and into the brickwork too, but the wood baton would stop the throughbolt from pivoting?

dooosuk
    Free Member

I used Frame fixings like those for attaching my kitchen wall units into the brick wall and they’re still up.

There must be more than 2 screws for bracket to wall surely?

sefton
    Free Member

no just 2

wobbliscott
    Free Member

These are what I’ve used and are specifically designed for the job:-

http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/

They’re holding up my 65kg Plasma screen up no problems. They are designed so that no force or pressure is applied to the plasterboard. They were recommended to me by someone who installs displays professionally so has installed hundreds of displays using these with no problems whatsoever.

sefton
    Free Member

which size mate?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I went for the M8’s for my TV. I spoke to them and they reckoned the M6’s would be fine, but I took the belt and braces approach with my TV being so heavy. Mine are going into Breeze Block too rather than brick.

Dead easy to install – a big metal plug goes into the block-work, an expander screw goes in and the bracket is screwed into the expander bolt.

sefton
    Free Member

bought – cheers!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d ignore the plasterbord and just go straight through to the brick and anchor in that.

That’s what I did and used anchor bolts to be on the safe side.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘putting tv bracket up – help please’ is closed to new replies.