Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Putting together a Genesis Grapil
  • Paradiso
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one of the frames listed in another post. I’ve ordered most of the bits I need, but could do with some advice on a couple of points. Do I need spacers on the bottom bracket when fitting. If so, how many on each side? I’m fitting a double chain set. Is it a case of trying chain alignment with and without spacers?
    Second query is what 26 wheels should I get? Choice is bewildering 142 x 12 rear and 15 front needed. Was thinking around £300. Got XT clincher set on a hard tail and I’m quite happy with them. Not that keen on noisy freewheel. Need to be able get parts and replace bearings as I tend to keep things for a while. Any ideas or links appreciated.

Scapegoat

The spacers depend on the BB width. If it’s a 68mm you need three, one non drive side and two drive side. If it’s a 73mm you need just one on the drive side. Measure it when it reaches you. The chain line is already set by the manufacturer.

As for wheels, try Superstar components. Your 300 quid will get you some pretty decent rims on their hubs.

Paradiso
    Free Member

Cheers for info. on bottom bracket. More straight forward than I thought. Had a look at Superstar website. Are the hubs and bearings decent? Hadn’t heard of the brands before.

welshfarmer

BB is 73mm so 1 spacer (which will be in the BB kit when it arrives). I run Deore XT wheels on mine for trail rides/general stuff & a set of Hope Evo2 with 36 spokes and dual ply tyres for more vertical stuff like the Alps or Uplift days.

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you have bought the chainset new it should already have a bb included.

drovercycles
    Free Member

We have a set of brand new but slightly shop-soiled Mavic Crossmax STs which would be perfect. Thought we’d sold them today but they didn’t work (135×10 rear was needed). They do 15mm front and 142×12 rear. Give us a shout if interested!

hatter

Make it £400 and you can have my DT EXC1550 carbons, pretty much the ultimate 26″ trail wheels.

I’ll even throw in a black chilli rubber queen on the front and snakeskin hobby nick on the back.

Email addy in profile if you want details and pictures.

sgn23
    Free Member

It’s the headset which is confusing me. Does anyone have any tips as to what headset would fit the XX44 tapered frame if I want to fit a straight steerer fork?

willej

Nukeproof Warhead 44IESS or Hope Mix and Match 2B. The head tube isn’t tapered, it’s 44mm top and bottom but can take tapered steerer forks. Been looking into this myself :o)

deviant
    Free Member

If it’s a 44mm head tube as suggested above I’d go internal/internal for a straight steerer fork, it’s what I did on my Ragley and It lowers the front just enough to make running a long fork less of a compromise on the rest of the geometry which might be an idea on the Grapil as it has a shorter travel rear and I wouldn’t want the front too high.

I think it’s the 44IISS.

jameso

This reminded me to post some wheels for sale. Ad moved to FS forum.

Scapegoat

The bottom of the head tube takes an external 44, to run tapered. That’s Hope Pick n mix cup H. If you have a straight steerer you could fit an integrated cup, but you are gambling with fork crown/down tube clearance. If that doesn’t work use cup H and fit a Hope crown reducer to your fork, a doddle to fit and the Hope crown race is split so just slips on.

All the reviews and blurb state it runs best with a 140 fork, and the H cup adds 8mm stack height I believe. Can’t see 8mm making much difference, especially as the bike was probably designed around a tapered fork.

willej

Yep, good call on the 44IISS. Cheaper than the 44IESS too, if that matters? Think I’ll still go for external bottom cup.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I would go for an ext. Bottom cup, I’m not beside me bike but I suspect that having an internal cup would cause the adjusters on the crown to bash into the down tube. BB is 73mm. While it says it has dropper post routing, its designed around a fixed exit cable like the KS lev or Gravity dropper. tried to make it work with the reverb hose, but you just end up with a loop of hose annoying close to the tyre or hanging off the BB. BBB hydro hose clips along the top tube work well. I use 150mm Magura thor forks on mine, the extra 10mm over the sektor 140 that came on it doesn’t seem to upset things too much.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It needs a conventional front mech too (not top swing).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Putting together a Genesis Grapil’ is closed to new replies.