• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • putting road type tyres on my 29er
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

any suggestions?
    the mrs wants to up her miles on the local cyclepaths etc and her mega is too draggy so I’d like to put something thin and fast rolling on it…

scotroutes

Rim width is the issue, especially with “modern” wide rims . Once you know the internal rim width it should be possible to work out the narrowest suitable tyres.

Something like a WTB Nano 40 will probably be a good option. Get it in the Light Fast Rolling version.

jam-bo

Put something like an Ikon on, surprisingly quick on road and not too bad off road as long as it’s dry.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i’ll check those two cheers

scotroutes

For a cheaper option, check out the Schwalbe Landcruisers. They look knobbly but that wiggly centerline means less rolling resistance.

mrmo
    Free Member

When i bust my road bike i swapped the 25mm tyres from that onto the MTB with no issues. Rim width is the thing to watch though. I would suggest measuring the internal width on the rims as a starting point and going from there.

Oh and the gearing going from a 53/39 to a 36/22 then doing a 110km club run spinning out at 25mph was a bit of a shock

thomthumb
    Free Member

Rim width is the issue, especially with “modern” wide rims . Once you know the internal rim width it should be possible to work out the narrowest suitable tyres.

1:1 is the absolute limit. i.e. internal width 25, 25c as a minimum.

be aware that heavy touring tyres (landcruisers and the like) might be slower than lighter wider XC tyres (e.g. racing ralph).

carlphillips
    Free Member

cx tyres so far look to be the best option, not thought of them so thanks..

ton

schwalbe big apple 2.0 in grey. £5.99 on planetx

perfect. got em on my ogre.

grtdkad

Schwalbe Kojak or Durano used on my MTB occasionally, happy with both.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You can get conti gator skin in 700 32

Northwind

I’ve got a pair of 35C kojaks in good nick, if you want to give that a go.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Marathon Cross, great all rounder, PX were cheapest recently. Have these on my FatNotFat 29er wheels, they roll really well on tarmac.

nickdavies

Schwalbe big apple?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

schwalbe big apple 2.0

+1 for big apples

carlphillips
    Free Member

so many options!
    will have a look at those cheers..
    @ northwind cheers for the offer but i’ll just buy new thanks..

TiRed

I’d try some Schwalbe G-One Speeds. They are a 30c, but on 29er rims will have a lovely profile. Can be run tubeless without pfaff too.

Daffy

Schwalbe G One Allroad – 29*2.35. Lovely, fast, light.

wheely
    Free Member

Just put 700c x 32 Conti gatorskins on mine – with same size inner tube. Doesn’t look out of place and was a great fit. Now have a spare slick set of wheels for path and road training

aP
    Free Member

Compass 38mm tyres will be fast enough. Worked fine for me at Paris-Roubaix, and will be riding them at Greg van Avermaert and Tuscany Road.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘putting road type tyres on my 29er’ is closed to new replies.