Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • putting partitions back together on a drive
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So I’ve successfully sorted out the SSD on this machine now. In the process though on the original HDD I created a 300mb partition so I could trim the system disk down to under 250GB, got it to 100Gb spare, so happy days. Could have got it smaller, but I’ve 70 odd GB of stuff I want on the SSD, anyhow i’m rambling.

Consequence of this is now I have a 1.5TB drive that split in to 6 partions:

300GB I just created.
    a blank 1TB partion I’ve just wiped the old system off.
    650mb recovery partion
    988mb recovery partion
    21GB recovery partion. (these 3 are legacy from old installs I guess, original w8, and w10 upgrade, w10 reinstall)
    250mb EFI system partion.

I can’t delete any of the recovery partitions or the EFI, which I wouldn’t really mind, but I also can get the 300GB partition to extend into a 1.3TB drive.

Here’s the messages that come up.

Clicked yes, then.

Any ideas?

Only one I’ve got is to tranfer the 300GB of stuff to an external drive(I’ve got one kicking about somewhere) and reformat completely.

Any ways to clear the other 5 partitions without copying all the data back and forth?

kormoran
    Free Member

I opened this thinking it was a thread about renovating a house. And parking on the street to make room

Am disappoint

mattyfez

Do you really need the data on the many partitions you have 🙂

If so copy the files across to your primary partition or an external drive.

Then just delete the excess partitions and extend your primary partition.

You can delete partitions easily via a few cmd commands, or from Windows. Partitions are just imaginative lines drawn on physical disks.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye but there’s no options to delete the 4 Parts though and I get those can’t do this messages when I try to expand into the 1TB, I think because the other 2 are sandwiched between them, it’s stopping me doing much with them.

Anyhow I’d another idea, I’m just going to copy the stuff from the 300GB to the 1TB and leave it as is. I’ll clone the SSD to the 300GB, and that’ll give me a bootable back up there should I ever need one. No doubt I’ll gub this windows at somepoint! 😆

1TB is way more storage than I need anyhow.

Cougar

Only one I’ve got is to tranfer the 300GB of stuff to an external drive(I’ve got one kicking about somewhere) and reformat completely.

Without being able to see Disk Manager, that’s what I’d do.

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered working out exactly what you’re trying to do, but gparted live is your friend – get that on a USB stick and boot to it (or on a CD if you’re old fashioned) and you should be able to sort your partitions out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ha! Just finished copying over, so tried to extend the 1tb volume, hey presto, it worked. Seems you can only extend a volume in one direction, from left to right looking at the gui. Never knew partitions worked in such a linear fashion.

Still can’t get rid of the other volumes mind you, but I only see one of them anyhow so I can live with that.

Anyhow, my cloning idea is taking root now, so I’m doing that. Pretty much a pointless post all in! 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘putting partitions back together on a drive’ is closed to new replies.