• This topic has 84 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Putting cheeky up on Strava
  • hora
    Free Member

Why do people broadcast it this way? A sort of look what I found first? So everyone and his dog can then compete for the fastest time?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you mean making segments or just logging rides?
    Tbh with so many Internet resources out there cheeky is getting harder to find. Just non official trails now

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ego. They don’t care about consequences ’cause they’re rad dude. Livin’ on the edge. Buckin’ the system … by riding a bike costing £1000’s on a footpath !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well honestly ask on here what the best lakes ride is and loads will yell out a couple of cheeky ones out of Keswick in the first 3 posts as must do trails.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

What’s the best lakes ride?

bearnecessities

There’s a couple of cheeky ones out of Keswick.

nickc

flag it as dangerous, or report it.

parkesie
    Free Member

You say broadcast as if anyone actualy looks at a strava profile other than the person that logged the ride.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Maybe they’ve got permission from the landowner?

danbo
    Free Member

Lots of people use strava to find trails, friends of friends will see a top 10 or a KOM on a new trail and then everyone goes to find it.

Strava is deadly for cheeky trails.

brant
    Free Member

[deleted as made no sense]

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well in principle I reckon the more people ride cheeky, the better. Access laws in England are nonsense.

nickjb
    Free Member

Nothing illegal about riding cheeky usually. It’s nice to share. Much better than the locals only attitude

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s degrees of cheeky and hora has a point for some trails IMO.

I ride some that have been cut in by other people unknown to me – and I feel it’d be poor form for me to create a segment for those.

BillOddie

There’s cheeky and there’s CHEEKY.

What the Strava segment search or heatmap doesn’t tell you is if that trail is good to go on any day or time or if it’s fine of an evening but best avoided at 2pm on a Sunday because it’s swarming with families and kids.

It also doesn’t differentiate between:
    a) legal trails,
    b) rights of way that we don’t have a right to use ie Footpaths
    c) Trails that aren’t a right of way but just exist in an area that cycling is generally accepted (eg FC land)
    d) Trails that aren’t a right of way but just exist in an area that cycling is not generally accepted (nature reserves, private parks, etc)

jambalaya
    Free Member

[deleted as made no sense]

🙂

I ride some that have been cut in by other people unknown to me – and I feel it’d be poor form for me to create a segment for those.

Still on the heatmap though

drofluf
    Free Member

doctorgnashoidz – Member
    What’s the best lakes ride?

A couple of cheeky ones out of Keswick 🙂

breadcrumb

Well in principle I reckon the more people ride cheeky, the better. Access laws in England are nonsense

Very much this. It’s a silly “law” anyways.

jekkyl

I’ll file this question under ‘who cares’ I also agree very much with

Well in principle I reckon the more people ride cheeky, the better. Access laws in England are nonsense.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

jekkyl +1

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I suppose it depends what constitutes cheeky

For me cheeky at Cannock is the trails someone has spent a lot of time and effort creating which then gets trashed by people riding in wet muddy conditions which I consider poor form

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well in principle I reckon the more people ride cheeky, the better. Access laws in England are nonsense

We have fabulous access in England to a wonderful network of bridleways and footpaths. We have full access to footpaths on foot.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You sound fun.

ocrider

We have fabulous access in England to a wonderful network of bridleways and footpaths. We have full access to footpaths on foot

That’s a relatively recent change and ought to be further amended for the sake of common sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

Still on the heatmap though

Well it’s usually surrounded by more popular trails, so not really identifiable.

But I’m sure these trails will go on Strava as segments soon enough, but then more will be created and we’ll end up with even more great trails to enjoy riding while disregarding this nation’s archaic and impractical access rights.

Fight the power!

nickc

We have full access to footpaths on foot.

aye, daft isn’t it… 😆

cookeaa

This all presupposes that anyone is actually trawling Strava for minor trail transgressions. Apart from other MTBists looking for something to tut at does anybody really care?

What precisely are we meant to be hiding from the rest of the public?

TBH I haven’t ever actually used Strava to look for cheeky local riding, I might give it a go today though just for fun… Just to see if it’s any use…

What the Strava segment search or heatmap doesn’t tell you is if that trail is good to go on any day or time or if it’s fine of an evening but best avoided at 2pm on a Sunday because it’s swarming with families and kids.
    It also doesn’t differentiate between:
    a) legal trails,
    b) rights of way that we don’t have a right to use ie Footpaths
    c) Trails that aren’t a right of way but just exist in an area that cycling is generally accepted (eg FC land)
    d) Trails that aren’t a right of way but just exist in an area that cycling is not generally accepted (nature reserves, private parks, etc)

True, but there are other maps available which would give you an idea of the local ROWs and geography…

jam-bo

If your looking for trails to ride then strava heatmap is a great tool. Don’t really care if it’s ‘cheeky’ or not

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do remember a certain NW based mtb club that posted heaps of routes online which you had to heck really carefully under all the lines as they put loads of cheeky stuff up, this was back 10 years ago.

jameso

Strava data used to ban riders from US City Park

Last para of interest. Strava isn’t the only thing outing mtb use in areas we shouldn’t be officially, but it’s probably the easiest tool for showing use levels. Whether much can be done with that is another matter.

scandal42
    Free Member

We have fabulous access in England to a wonderful network of bridleways

No we don’t, we have vast areas of countryside with barely a bridleway in sight.

Some parts of the Uk have fabulous access to bridleways, many dont.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, you repeatedly posted videos of stuff because the bog trotters and DofE destroy everything anyway… Apparently

chakaping
    Free Member

Last para of interest. Strava isn’t the only thing outing mtb use in areas we shouldn’t be officially, but it’s probably the easiest tool for showing use levels. Whether much can be done with that is another matter.

Strava data can also be used to support improved access.

It was quite clear in the US case that Strava was incidental and the authorities had made their minds up already.

Doesn’t feel like we have the same attitude here as a rule (with a few exceptions such as New Forest).

jameso

Strava data can also be used to support improved access.

Sure, goes both ways. Has been used to improve bike routing in urban areas also I think.
    On cheeky off-road use it seems the antis tend to shout first and loudest but whether anyone listens and acts I’m not so sure. Personally I think it’s not what you ride it’s how+when so common sense and ‘don’t be a d1ck’ over whether you strava it or not.

cookeaa

I thought the linked bike-biz article More interesting.

Sustrans and the CTC, essentially asking cyclists to play down their use of existing ROWs (especially those who log their riding) for fear of arming the anti-brigade with some sort of “big data” stick to beat us with…

Is this just preemptive paranoia or are there really groups out there gunning for Sustrans and using Strava data to do it?

spawnofyorkshire

I went to check out some new (to me) cheeky footpath the other day to see if it would link up a route. No tyre treads but a good few horsey hoofmarks.
    We’re not the only ones doing this

Would never contemplate making a segment out of any of it though

Superficial
    Free Member

Speaking of big data, what does the Strava Heatmap look like for Kinder, and at what stage does that become a sort of e-‘mass trespass’?

chakaping
    Free Member

It may be a case of wanting to be seen to be saying something cookeaa?

On cheeky off-road use it seems the antis tend to shout first and loudest but whether anyone listens and acts I’m not so sure. Personally I think it’s not what you ride it’s how+when so common sense and ‘don’t be a d1ck’ over whether you strava it or not.

Totally agree.

Also I think there’s a case for “secret” trails relieving the pressure on BWs and FPs in some places (thinking Surrey Hills as prime example here).

bikebouy
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    I’ll file this question under ‘who cares’ I also agree very much with
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’ll join in because I’m knackered from riding and a little bored.

Jekyll nails it 8)

jameso

Sustrans and the CTC, essentially asking cyclists to play down their use of existing ROWs (especially those who log their riding) for fear of arming the anti-brigade with some sort of “big data” stick to beat us with…

Reads as if they’re saying ‘don’t be a dick’, especially not a recorded and uploaded one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Putting cheeky up on Strava’ is closed to new replies.