• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by chip.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Putting best bike away for winter when??
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

So when if u do do u put your best bike away and bring out the winter hack I ask cause just got a nice bike (FS)and I,am thinking of tucking it up for the winter and using my hard tail as my winter hack.

Lummox

Never!

It’s a mountain bike not a wooden chassis classic sports car.

Ride it all winter

Houns

Mines in a box full of straw with air holes

scotroutes

At least wait until it’s winter?

woody2000

What’s a best bike? 🙂

officialtob
    Free Member

Never!

It’s a mountain bike not a wooden chassis classic sports car.

Ride it all winter
    +1

I only say that because I can’t afford a ‘best bike’ 🙁 🙁

timc
    Free Member

Ride all bikes all year round, except the road bike, never ride that all year round, should probably flog it

breadcrumb

My FS will come out less when its minging but its not away for winter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Storing the summer bikes…

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Ok maybe not putting it away do people stop using there full sus’s when it really gets axle deep wet and muddy 😉

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I have two Hardtails. Carrera Vulcan and Cannondale SL5. They both get used. Cannondale the most, and the carrera if one needs something doing on the Cannondale. Carrera is being replaced with a full suss next year, then the Cannondale will be a winter duty bike.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/putting-good-road-bike-away-for-winter

I tend to use my HT more than my FS in the winter, and its deliberately fitted with cheaper/tougher drivetrain components (steel chain ring, cheapo cassette rather than alloy-carrier XT), but the FS still gets used.

scandal42
    Free Member

Does mud melt expensive mountain bike components?

Just asking like 😆

simmy
    Free Member

Only Bike I don’t use in the Winter is my old Raleigh which is Steel and is extra special to me as it was my first mountain Bike and Nan bought it me.

All the others are covered in muck even now.

breadcrumb

It shortens the life of things like bearings, which in a FS there can be plenty of. Also my SS is far easier to clean than my FS.

timc
    Free Member

fatsimon mk2 – Member

Ok maybe not putting it away do people stop using there full sus’s when it really gets axle deep wet and muddy

Do people really ride round in axle deep mud though?

DanW
    Free Member

Ok maybe not putting it away do people stop using there full sus’s when it really gets axle deep wet and muddy

No! It’s a MTB designed to be ridden. People seem to dislike wet weather worse than a bike so that tends to be the limiting factor for most mincers mountain bikers

Not by choice but sometimes it is unavoidable if you are exploring the countryside in certain parts of the UK. Of course you might then avoid a certain part of trail in the future but sometimes mud happens 😀

I have my bike built to be practical in mud year round because (unlike this Summer) we tend to get mud year round! How do you decide the mud threshold that means the “nice” full sus can be ridden 😀 I wouldn’t go spending a lot on a chain or cassette over the Winter but besides that and a change of tyres everything stays the same for me…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It shortens the life of things like bearings, which in a FS there can be plenty of. Also my SS is far easier to clean than my FS.

see current threads with title along lines of “seriously how f–kin much to get my bearings replaced?!”

mjsmke

If its really really icy/wet/windy and -4 outside i put my best mtb and best road bike away for winter and have a good long ride on my backup bike.

Only problem is i don’t have a backup bike, and my ‘back up’ bike is really my bed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m thinking of building up a winter hardtail, I have a “best” hardtail and a FS but frankly the winter bike is just an excuse for n+1

mjsmke

but sometimes mud happens

Sometime sh*t happens and thats the summer as well as winter. Just smells more in the summer as its not blended in with the mud.

Northwind

I might get out the winter hack

IMG_1516 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Or I might stick with the sunday best

IMAG0289 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

dan86
    Free Member

No *best bike* as such, but for commuting, the road bike goes away when the mornings get frosty, then the HT is my everyday bike with some semi slicks on, then knobbly’s go on if it snows. Singletrack trails , I use the same bike all year round.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Ok maybe not putting it away do people stop using there full sus’s when it really gets axle deep wet and muddy <

I live in Scotland, I have one bike and I ride no matter what the weather. End of discussion really as far as I’m concerned.

cakefacesmallblock

My Trance works summer or winter. Just keep things serviced / lubed / greased.
    The only reason I’m about to build a “beer” bike ( my first +1 ),around an old Rockhopper frame, is that I really don’t trust being able to ride to the shops or pub and leave the Trance locked and safe for anything more than about 7 seconds. That applies winter or summer.

honourablegeorge

If I didn’t ride in mud and rain i probalby eouldn’t get to ride very much at all. I choose bikes based on the trail, not the weather

dab

As a one bike for all person
    The bike gets used all year round , If I can’t ski
    then it’s bike time

Bikes are there to be used not looked at !

chip
    Free Member

In a hundred years we will all be dead and all our bikes will be land fill.

Ride your bikes while you can.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

As a one bike for all person

Bikes are there to be used not looked at !

I have one bike and I ride no matter what the weather. End of discussion really as far as I’m concerned.

but you are one-bike people. Those of us with an n+1 obsession justify it by allocating specific duties to different bikes. We get to use one bike at a time and look at the other(s). I have a HT and big blingy FS. I ride either as the mood takes me, but if the conditions are rotten I’m more likely to take the lower specced HT and wear out cheap bits.

I choose bikes based on the trail, not the weather

I find the quality and riding conditions of the same trail can be heavily influenced by the weather and the 2 are connected. A fast dusty poppy rippy summer trail can be claggy plod in the winter.

coogan
    Free Member

Never they both get used all year round like they should be. Winter bike, phht. Man up!

ratherbeintobago

Yes, because if I don’t go out when the weather is truly appalling, I don’t go out at all. I do draw the line at ice though, after the collarbone incident.

Anyway, the UK weather is just as capable of being shite in the summer as it is in Jan, it’s just less likely to be dark. So bringing out a winter hack for the winter isn’t a great strategy anyway.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

It was the how much to change bearings threads that prompted me starting this thread and as an engineer have no shortage of skills and tools to do the job my self but would like to prolong the time before I have to do it and as the hard tail is sitting at the back of garage unused at mo so trying to justify to myself(+wife) why I should keep it.

P.s hard tail is six years old so worth jack all.

chip
    Free Member

Ride which ever takes your fancy.
    When it gets dirty clean it, when it breaks fix it.

If your hardtail is worth nowt, no reason to sell it .

When components wear out it gives you good reason to upgrade.
    And it’s blinking annoying when you sell something on and realise you have not used it with an inch of its life through being prissy and the difference in its second hand value is maybe a hundred or so pounds more to what you would have got for it if you put some history on it. Makes you wish you thrashed it while it was yours because I garantee it’s next owner will.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Putting best bike away for winter when??’ is closed to new replies.