Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Putting a MTB chain set on a road bike
  • Aus
    Free Member

Maybe I’m being dim … My road bike has 50:38 front chain set with a 12-27 rear cassette. I tend to like spinning and find I’m erring to the lower gears. I have an old middleburn chain set triple. Could I run 44:34 on it and get a decent chainline etc? I have a 9 speed Campag set up so would the chain work ok?

Thanks

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I do it, have the larger ringed XT on two bikes. The only difficulty you MAY have is shifting to the outer ring, on my Uncle John the mech is right at its limits to shift, I should take a spacer ou of th BB but I’ve never got round to it.

AlasdairMc

What about a 50:34 road compact instead?

taxi25
    Free Member

I know your trying to use stuff you have to hand, but its a faff 🙁 thing tend to work just ok but a bit of a pain. For £52 if you’ve got it I’d just stick one of these 48/34s on. You’d get bored spinning a 44 ring out anyway.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/chainsets-chainsets-road-stronglight-impact-jis-compact-chainset-road/strochar560

Pickers

I’ve used an old LX triple on a touring bike with 9sp Campag and an even older LX 7sp front mech. Is the Campag front shifter ratcheted? If so it should work with pretty much any old mech. Indexed might be a different story…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Putting a MTB chain set on a road bike’ is closed to new replies.