Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • putting a healthy dog down……sad.
  • ton

my 25 yr old son had to do it today.
    long story, split up from his wife of less than 1 year recently. back at home with us. she has 2 kids to previous relationship, he has a daughter, now not all getting on.
    anyway, they bought a pup a year ago. pup turned into a big ridgeback/mastiff cross. way to big for them.
    saturday night, they went out together with some other friends. trying to keep friendly. when they returned full of drink, one of the women bent down to try and kiss the dog.
    he didnt take to kindly to that, and growled then bit the woman on the lip. 6 stitches and a few other marks on her face.
    the woman is a dog groomer, works with dogs, so she seemed happy to let it go.
    they contacted the dogs care trust and the rspca. neither would take the dog because of the biting.
    contacted a vet and asked his advice. dog was put to sleep.

feel sad for the poor dog, more than i do for my sons sadness and loss.

life is shit sometimes.

Drac

The woman should have known better.

Shame they couldn’t have tried to find it a good home.

anagallis_arvensis

Thats very sad, sounds like the right option though. I love dogs but they are just dogs.

letmetalktomark

letmetalktomark

funkmasterp

I’m in agreement with Drac on this. Really sorry that the dog was put to sleep. Someone who works with dogs should know better.

Hope your son is okay though, sounds like a rough time all round.

chewkw
    Free Member

That is a young dog still trying to learn.

That woman is stupid …

Animal is usually unpredictable.

anagallis_arvensis

That is a young dog still trying to learn.

That woman is stupid …

Animal is usually unpredictable.

Complete bollocks from you. Dogs are predictable, mine wouldnt bite anyone in the face. No dog learns from biting someone.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dogs are mostly predictable, mine wouldnt hasn’t bitten anyone in the face. No dog learns from biting someone unless taught

Every puppy ideally learns not to bite. A dog is naturally uncomfortable/threatened with a surprise mouth coming at it. Groomer should know better.

chewkw
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Complete bollocks from you. Dogs are predictable, mine wouldnt bite anyone in the face. No dog learns from biting someone.

Really? Give it a try by bending down to kiss someone else dog that you are not very familiar with. See if all dogs are the same (like your own).

Drac

I think what Chewkw meant was you can’t trust any dog. I wouldn’t trust mine 100% he’s a dog, if he feels threatend enough he’ll bite, putting your drunken face directly towards someone elses dog is asking for trouble. My brothers own dog bit him when he approached her when he was a bit worse for wear, caught him right on the nose.

He didn’t have her put down though as it was his fault.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Actually Ckewkw is only half wrong – which for him is impressive.

Trying to kiss a dog you don’t know? That’s foolhardy. Dogs don’t like it but they will put up with it from folks they know & trust. It can be quite threatening for them.

I’m a little surprised a dog groomer would do such a thing.

FYI I was a dog trainer at Battersea.

chestrockwell

I agree with chewkw.

Shudders….

Goes for a wash.

monde
    Free Member

Scared dog. Drunk person cooing and arring and pushing into a dogs face and frigtening them. Growl as a deterrant then a warning snap/bite .

If the dog was truly vicious once it had bitten it would have ripped her face off especially being a mastiff/ridgeback.

Sign of an untrained dog that is doing something naturally. Highlights the problem of owning powerful breeds that need really strong leadership and training instilled into them from a puppy.

anagallis_arvensis

Really? Give it a try by bending down to kiss someone else dog that you are not very familiar with. See if all dogs are the same (like your own).

Thats not what I said though is it. Its entirely predictable that a dog that has already bitten someone in the face is likely to do it again just as its preductable that my dog wouldnt do this. Dogs are predictable which is why you said the women was foolish to do what she did. You made a prediction about dog behaviour and you were right you couldnt do that if they werent predictable.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

sounds like it was a convenient excuse to get rid of the dog if you ask me.

Drac

Dogs are predictable which is why you said the women was foolish to do what she did. You made a prediction about dog behaviour and you were right you couldnt do that if they werent predictable.

gobuchul
    Free Member

anyway, they bought a pup a year ago. pup turned into a big ridgeback/mastiff cross. way to big for them.

Totally irresponsible. Pup didn’t turn into anything, it grew in to what it was always going to be. They must of known it’s parents size when they bought it?

saturday night, they went out together with some other friends. trying to keep friendly. when they returned full of drink, one of the women bent down to try and kiss the dog.

So this big dog is routinely left alone for extended lengths of time? Doesn’t sound good to me.

he didnt take to kindly to that, and growled then bit the woman on the lip. 6 stitches and a few other marks on her face.

If he had really gone for her it would of been a lot worse. Stupid thing to do.

I feel really sorry for that dog. He deserved better.

piha
    Free Member

[quoteFunkyDunc – Member

sounds like it was a convenient excuse to get rid of the dog if you ask me.

POSTED 47 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST[/quote]

This ^

Big pups grow into big dogs and when you get a pup you I’d assume was seen with it’s mother so you get an idea of size?
    The dog was put in a situation that it was obviously uncomfortable with by a group of drunk people and in particular, someone that works with dogs (I wouldn’t be trusting her my my dog).
    The dog growled- pretty sure that’s a warning sign and the woman didn’t move away? Then after warning the drunk woman the dog bit her.
    If the dog wanted to really go for the women then wouldn’t he bite and hold and then possibly shook its head whilst still biting?
    Sorry but the OP’s son and guests are totally responsible for the needless death of a dog. Shame on them!

I take it that the son and ex-wife won’t be getting another dog?

devash
    Free Member

Sounds like a real Jeremy Kyle family. 😆

kerley
    Free Member

Animals are not predictable (and I count humans in that)

Anyone that has animals should know that.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nice arguing dickwads :/

Ton: The crappy feeling is understandable and reflects well on you as a person – the not nice people in this world don’t care about things like this. It’s fine, though – the dog didn’t suffer.

piha
    Free Member

[quoteRob Hilton – Member

Nice arguing dickwads :/[/quote]

Classy!

ton

cheers Rob, appreciated mate.

just to clear up a couple of points.
    the pup was not seen when they bought it, I told them not to buy a dog without seeing the parents, I was ignored. I am a lifelong dog owner.

the dog was not left alone for long periods. on the night in question a family member was babysitting the kids and dog whilst they went out.

and I agree that this was a reason for my sons wife (who wanted to keep the dog when they split) to get rid of the dog, when she realised it was going to be a hassle keeping it.

bruneep

was putting the groomer down for being stupid an option?

gobuchul
    Free Member

the dog didn’t suffer.

Really? A pack animal that was never really wanted and part of any “pack”?

Killed after a year because it wasn’t wanted? Sounds a pretty miserable existence to me.

IHN

I wouldn’t trust mine 100% he’s a dog, if he feels threatend enough he’ll bite, putting your drunken face directly towards someone elses dog is asking for trouble. My brothers own dog bit him [b]me [/b]when he I approached her him when he I was a bit worse for wear, caught him right on the just missed my nose.

He I didn’t have her him put down though as it was his my fault.

Ours is a rescue, and whilst pretty docile 98% of the time, if he feels threatened or cornered he’ll snap.

Ton – it is horrible though. I’ve good a good mate who had to have one of their dogs put down because it had a tendency to bite. Real shame, he was an otherwise lovely dog, and they were gutted

IHN

Is it me, or are threads about dogs always guaranteed to engender the highest levels of STW bellendery?

Drac

Ermmm! What’s that about IHN?

anagallis_arvensis

Its hardly clutching at straws. Dogs are predictable, otherwise how can we criticise the women for doing something that had predictable results?
    Its also predictable that a dog that has bitten once will be likely to do it again. Hence the rehomers wouldnt take it and given the owners had kids they made a correct yet sad decision.

IHN

What’s what about? I was a bit drunk, acted in a way which made my dog feel threatened and he tried to bite me.

Oh, sorry, wasn’t implying it was you, I was trying to show that your answer was a common example.

Drac

Oh, sorry, wasn’t implying it was you, I was trying to show that your answer was a common example.

I wasn’t sure cheers for clarifying.

Dogs are predictable, otherwise how can we criticise the women for doing something that had predictable results?

Keep digging.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Really? A pack animal that was never really wanted and part of any “pack”?

Many say dogs aren’t pack animals. Oh, look I’ve entered the argument and it’s going off at a tangent…

Killed after a year because it wasn’t wanted? Sounds a pretty miserable existence to me.

Best thing for it then, surely?? Obviously the non-suffering thing relates to how it died – unlikely to have been with a rusty spoon, don’t you think?

Death really isn’t so bad to those it happens to, they’ve been switched off and know nothing. It’s the ones who remember them that have the pain.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Its also predictable that a dog that has bitten once will be likely to do it again.

Not true in the slightest.

Where’s your reasoning? Examples? A dog may bite again IF it feels threatened, or it may not..

You need to understand dogs a little better, yes they are unpredictable but with practice & knowledge they can become easier to read. They are, after all, most definitely communicating with us though these signs can be very subtle & easy to miss.

Just because a dogs bitten once DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BITE AGAIN.

anagallis_arvensis

Keep digging.

Keep not engaging.
    If dogs are not predictable why do we criticise the womens behaviour towards the dog. Its not hard to grasp but then this is stw

Many say dogs aren’t pack animals.

and they are right because dogs dont form packs.

jam-bo

I had my 6yr old collie put down last year. hard, really hard. 99.99% of the time he was a docile, fantastic dog.

the other 0.01% it was a child’s face. luckily for her it was just a graze. she knew him, she’d played with him many times before with my son and was doing nothing wrong. I was there and he didn’t show any warning signs or aggression. the warning was the bite.

we looked at all the options including rehoming but no one want’s a rescue collie, let alone one that’s bitten. We tried places up and down the country. we were even advised to play down the biting incident by one place if we wanted him rehomed!!

after a couple of long discussions with the vet we had him put down. One of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make and still makes me sad now.

I still wonder if there is anything different we could have done but how do you ‘train’ out a response that is so unpredictable?

onandon
    Free Member

But what if it does? Is that a risk you can take can an owner?
    Sure, what do you care, it unlikely to turn on the alpha ( as the owner )

I’m not pro or anti dogs but I think they should be put down if they bite.

gobuchul
    Free Member

and they are right because dogs dont form packs.

OK. I know that there is some debate over what actually constitutes a “pack” and all that goes with it.

However, dogs are social animals and live in groups and need the interaction. Call it whatever you like, they still need to be in a “group”.

Drac

If dogs are not predictable why do we criticise the womens behaviour towards the dog

Because it was foolish approaching a dog face first not knowing how it would react, you unknown as in she couldn’t predict. Like I said I’m 99% sure how my dog will behave but I don’t trust him 100% as you can’t say for certain. Seems you’re struggling to engage.

taxi25
    Free Member

Perhaps not “will” but surely more likely to. The dog’s trust and RSPCA have huge experience of dogs and wouldn’t take the dog because of the biting. Are they completely wrong about this ??
    Very sad all round 🙁 and highlights the importance of getting the right dog if one at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘putting a healthy dog down……sad.’ is closed to new replies.