Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Put the kettle on – Jeremy Vine discussing Wiggo on Radio 2 now.
  • fatboyjon

Lunch break radio fighting to ensue?

DezB
    Free Member

Wiggo? What’s happened to him then?

fatboyjon

Got shot by a tank driver outside a power station apparently.

binners

I heard that his parachute didn’t open when he was base jumping off the London Eye

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having a Sherman outside the train station?

br
    Free Member

Please, somebody, next time they see Vine on a bike (he says he cycles), run him over!

fatboyjon

There were several minutes of the discussion before anyone mentioned unfit people in lycra not paying road tax. Radio 2 standards are slipping.

psling
    Free Member

fatboyjon – Member
    There were several minutes of the discussion before anyone mentioned unfit people in lycra not paying road tax. Radio 2 standards are slipping.

The Hutch batted that one aside nicely though

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ugh already shouting at the radio.

Hells

Have they got to the “no insurance” argument yet??

Work blocks the Beeb’s radio pages & can’t get a signal for a normal radio!!

user-removed
    Free Member

Nothing good can come of this… It’s like having the discussion with my father in law, whi drives a Range Rover and complains about cyclists not paying tax and cycling two abreast. He also believes cyclists have minimal rights, if any. It really is depressing to hear him go on and terrifying to see the way he drives around cyclists.

Our first kid is due any time now and the parents in law have banned ne from ever taking the kid on the bike! Yeah, right. I’ll just avoid people like you where possible.

*disclaimer* I actually get on very well with both of them when we’re not discussing bikes…

GrahamS

If you want to get angry at what the general public say about cyclists then don’t bother with the radio, just have a read of this:

Guaranteed righteous fury within 10 tweets.

jezandu
    Free Member

I have the same arguments with my dad. For someone that reads so many times newspapers he’s very ignorant about the law regarding car tax *sigh*

GrahamS

Some nice ones from twatter:

@saustin28
    Other cyclists should take a leaf out of Bradley Wiggins’ book. Cars have priority on the roads even if you have a gold medal or not

@KatieEminemC
    Only me who finds it funny Bradley Wiggins getting hit by a car to say he’s a world class cyclist :L

@JoeHooper95
    cyclists on the road.. Why annoy other drivers when there’s a pavement 2 go on.

@sarah_cant
    I’ll never understand why cyclists don’t just keep there cycling on the path where they belong instead of making roads even more dangerous

@reasonablyright
    If even Wiggins can get hit by a van it’s time cyclists were completely banned from the road. It’s beyond a joke.

@GuessWhoMan
    Why should motorists respect cyclists? Motorists pay road fund so we own it. Cyclists are the stowaways of the road.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

robbonzo
    Free Member

Mental

binners

Seems to me that Twatter is the pure distillation of the lowest common denominator of the internet. It seems to be the Haven for people who’s personalities and opinions are so vile, that should they venture their point of view in public, they’d get punched. A lot.

I’d hazard a guess that they rarely voice these views publically, on account of having no friends, and being loathed by everyone who has the misfortune to encounter them. Thus denying both them a platform, and us a punchbag

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

..and opinions that are so uncomplicated by reason or flexibility that they can be expressed in a single sentence.

Never mind, these people have high blood pressure, poor relationships and will die of heart disease at around 60.

bluebird
    Free Member

binners A*, well done.

ocrider

Twitter = Youtube comments 2.0

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that they rarely voice these views publically, on account of having no friends, and being loathed by everyone who has the misfortune to encounter them

…but isnt it sad to find out that people have these opinions? I’d prefer it if they did voice them in public so I knew who they were.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that they rarely voice these views publically, on account of having no friends, and being loathed by everyone who has the misfortune to encounter them. Thus denying both them a platform, and us a punchbag

My missus has these oppinions. I think the only reason she avoids cyclists is I keep pointing out I’ve not put her name on the life insurance yet 😛

She is a shocklingly bad driver though. Then again by Southern standards she’s average, what happens at Watford Gap that turns drivers crap?

GrahamS

My missus has these oppinions.

😯 There goes the theory that these people just don’t personally know any cyclists so can’t empathise!

Either that or your missus secretly hates you.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think people are malicious, just very very stupid. Total lack of ability to see the other point of view results in animosity.

Even the language of ignorance and denigration are the same.

People say stuff like ‘why on earth do people cycle on roads?’ as a way of making out that the cyclist is stupid, when in reality it’s them that don’t know the answer. Ignorance flows into anger seamlessly.

GrahamS

Ignorance flows into anger seamlessly.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate.. leads to suffering.

Mmmm?

cupra
    Free Member

Binners 🙂

GrahamS

I’d hazard a guess that they rarely voice these views publically, on account of having no friends, and being loathed by everyone who has the misfortune to encounter them.

Worryingly if you look at the conversations these tweets come form they typically have several friends agreeing with them!

smiff
    Free Member

isn’t it part of driving theory to learn this stuff? (GrahamS posted). i mean are those kids or did they somehow pass their tests?

GrahamS

isn’t it part of driving theory to learn this stuff? (GrahamS posted). i mean are those kids or did they somehow pass their tests?

As I recall the Driving Theory (and test) mainly focuses on cyclists as “hazards”.

I don’t think there is a bit saying something like “Cyclists have every right to use the road. They pay for it like everyone else. They are not allowed on the pavement by law unless it is specifically signed. Cyclists may sometimes ride in the middle of the lane – this is actually the recommended position for them. They don’t do it to annoy you, they do it for their own safety.”

There probably should be though!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Has anyone ever seen the police pull someone over for driving badly around cyclists?

I get the impression most car drivers assume that would never happen.

stick_man

This isn’t just about cycling though is it? It’s about a lack of respect for one’s fellow citizen, summed up nicely by this chap…

“British Cycling director Martin Gibbs told BBC Sport….”Nine out of 10 British cycling members have a car. It has to be about more mutual respect looking out for each other. We mustn’t make this a sort of tribal battle.”

And as for Jeremy Vine, well he’s just a professional sh!t stirrer isn’t he.

philfive
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the last 10 minutes replying “moron” to all the idots on cyclehatred.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

These anti-cycling people posting on the internet always seem to have trouble spelling proporly.

GrahamS

I’ve just spent the last 10 minutes replying “moron” to all the idots on cyclehatred.

I’ve noticed there are quite a few folk now who regularly try to challenge some of the views that appear there. Some are polite. Some a bit more direct.

It does occasionally seem to make an impact, but there will always be another batch tomorrow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

nealglover
    Free Member

These anti-cycling people posting on the internet always seem to have trouble spelling proporly.

Ironing ?

ads678

I assumed that was intentional 😕

spawnofyorkshire

Has anyone ever seen the police pull someone over for driving badly around cyclists?

I get the impression most car drivers assume that would never happen.

my mate who’s a copper and a cyclist has pulled someone over trying to run someone off the road at a junction. He gave them a bollocking when they started arguing back and did that lovely thing all coppers do when they want to be annoying and found every single fault with their car and ran up about £300 worth of traffic offenses there and then

Bunnyhop

For one day of the year I suggest all cyclists use their car to get to work (or anywhere for that matter), thus blocking up any highway.

I don’t think the cycling hating commuters would be so shouty about us after the country is gridlocked for a day.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For one day of the year I suggest all cyclists use their car to get to work (or anywhere for that matter), thus blocking up any highway.

With the exception of universities (where car ownership is low anyway) are there any town with enough bikes to make a significant difference? The number of people who commute by bike because they want to must be tiny. Just in our office ther emust be ~2000 people, arround 750-1000 cars, and 30 bikes.

shindiggy
    Free Member

same here, 1000 in our office, 3 bikes.

Drac

You know how people on here sometimes say the avoid a Channel or Radio station because of one presenter. Well I never understood it until JV appeared on the Radio one day when Radio 2 was on at work. Can’t stand him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Put the kettle on – Jeremy Vine discussing Wiggo on Radio 2 now.’ is closed to new replies.