Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Put a 22T on a Dyna-Sys crank???
  • billyboy
    Free Member

Anyone done it?

Why not?

The only fault I can raise about my new 29er is the 19″ low gear as opposed to the near 17″ on my 26er Mega 9 set ups. When the going gets really steep for a long time…I want/need a lower gear.

I’m going to email Madison…but in the meantime…

AND WHY 24? Why did they do that? Why?

billyboy
    Free Member

To answer my own question……….

Just fitted a 22 Blackspire 9/10 speed chain ring in place of the 24 on my 38/24 SLX Dyna-Sys chainset…. and it all seems good. I’m gonna have to drag the chain across a bit more to get that steady progressive climb of the gear inches…so I’ll give it a few more rides and see how it feels.

It managed one of piggiest climbs round here without my knees blowing up so I’m pleased so far.

billyboy
    Free Member

SO WHY DID THOSE PLONKERS GO 24?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Or why did shimano inflict stupid little rings on us in the first place
    My first proper mtb came with 400 lx group in 93
    And was 28-38-48 iirc
    Worked fine

bigyinn
    Free Member

Still running 24 36 46.

andyl
    Free Member

with 9 speed 22-32-44 people normally used 11-32 cassettes and occasionally 11-34.

With 10 speed 11-36 cassettes gives you back the lowest gear with the 24 up front.

One thing to watch if using shimano rings the shift ramps seem to be slightly different on the 9 speed to the 10 speed but the granny is less important. I run a 10 speed 24T with a 9 speed 32 and 44 on my C456 as I find 22-32 to be useless. 24-32-42 does seem a bit silly but in practice it does seem to shift just that little bit smoother between rings. The old SLX with 22-36 must have been quite clunky.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Smaller ring jumps will always lead to better shifting
    I was just being a little awkward above

But still can’t see the point in 22 front and 36 back even on a 29
    By that point is it not better to walk

andyl
    Free Member

I found I am actually sometimes in a higher gear on my 29er up the same hills than my 26er depending on how the terrain is (bumpier definitely favours the 29er, smoother and the 26 feels more lively and I go up a ring up front). Doesn’t seem to make sense and I fitted an 11-34 cassette on expecting to need to go lower on the gears but find I am a couple of sprockets higher or at least the same so accounting for the wheels I end up with a higher gearing.

I never use the smallest ring with the largest cassette. Just far too spinny.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Put a 22T on a Dyna-Sys crank???’ is closed to new replies.