Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Pussy Riot
  • hora
    Free Member

I’m really enjoying this winter Olympics. What they are doing just irritates. Its soo bloody amateur as well, if they popped up on the XFactor- how long would they last as they come across as one of those cringeworthy-joke acts that go on there.

convert

Indeed, according to my Russian speaking colleague with a Russian wife (who is bit more in touch with genuine Russian feeling than me) they are not appreciated by the bulk of the Russian public. Being considered ‘cool’ by a niche group of youthful Russians and westerners is not going to change the national political scene in any meaningful way.

Lifer
    Free Member

In regards to the sexual side their protest/movement that was in response to the ladies of ‘Putin’s Army’ and their stunts. Amazing how context can make sense of things.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pussy riot = Global news?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Some of the uptight responses in this thread reminds me of all the fear and loathing from Middle England that unleashed in 1977 when the Sex Pistols were doing there (VERY amusing and entertaining) thing.

kimbers

they couldnt have wished for a better allegory of the russian government than a bunch of meathead bullies, whipping some defenceless women

theyve succeeded in their objective of gaining publicity in their campaign against putin

the recent anti-gay legislation and putins statements linking gays to paedophillia are a reminder just how nasty the man is

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Meanwhile in other news…..

Lifer
    Free Member

If you’ve got a point then make it.

hora
    Free Member

whipping some defenceless women

That was hardly whipping wasn’t it? If Max Mosley received that on his weekly visit he’d be demanding a refund.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The point?

Here is another example of how we increasingly sensationalise the trivial and ignore the important. A minor incident (how long was the clip?) that is hardly newsworthy in itself let alone against the real geopolitics that are playing out in Kiev for example where people are losing their lives etc and we get agitated about it.

Perspective please.

scunny
    Free Member

Look further down the page for the Kiev thread if thats what you’re interested in talking about.

anagallis_arvensis

Thm whats going on in Kiev doesnt make anything else less wrong or unimportant.

Hora, your desire to sexulise the issue is quite odd imo.

emsz
    Free Member

I’m properly amazed at some of the replies on this. I wonder if Emily Davison* ever existed at all.

* I bet you have to google her

wwaswas

but sometimes by focusing on the mistreatment of individuals it exposes the overall problem.

Look at all the images that have swayed public opinion, tank man in China, the napalmed girl in Vietnam etc. By showing individuals it allows us to empathise far more than a photo of 10,000 people.

“When one person dies it’s a tragedy, when a million die it’s a statistic’

and hora, I can’t think you really believe that state sponsored beating of peaceful protestors is somehow giving them what they deserve or not worthy of comment.

hora
    Free Member

your desire to sexulise the issue

Calm your plastic-liberal self down.

kimbers

THM 3 million children die every year because they dont have enough food, why arent you discussing that?

http://www.wfp.org/hunger/stats

anagallis_arvensis

Calm your plastic-liberal self down.

I’m calm thanks, its you that seems a little hot under the collar.

anagallis_arvensis

I had to google her but she was who I thought!!

Lifer
    Free Member

Hora, what’s a ‘plastic-liberal’?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thm whats going on in Kiev doesnt make anything else less wrong or unimportant

Correct it doesn’t. But there are far more important issues right now than a silly protest met by heavy handed policing.

crankboy
    Free Member

Pussy Riot do not have the right to protest they live in Russia where protest is illegal , that is why they are incredibly brave . They need to do acts which attract international media attention and are non violent as that attention and non violence is the only reason they are not dead in a ditch. The attempts to dismiss them as attention seeking spicecki girls really just reveals how unwilling some people are to acknowledge that some people have principles .

The Cossacks whips are not soft play toys and don’t take much effort to inflict pain .

anagallis_arvensis

Cant argue with that thm. But on this thread we were discussing the pussy riot issue.

I was going to ask what a plastic liberal was too.

Northwind

Always think it’s hilarious when people denounce protesters as publicity seeking, seems like everyone should protest quietly at home, in case anyone notices.

Lifer
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Correct it doesn’t. But there are far more important issues right now than a silly protest met by heavy handed policing.

Can you please let us know in what order we can discuss current events so we don’t commit such a faux-pas again.

hora
    Free Member

and hora, I can’t think you really believe that state sponsored beating of peaceful protestors is somehow giving them what they deserve or not worthy of comment

and again the 2004 Countryside Alliance march where the State sponsored Police hit alot of people/provoked and conjolled.

Pussy Riot do not have the right to protest they live in Russia where protest is illegal , that is why they are incredibly brave

Going into the Orthodox church and saying god is shit? You know the Orthodox church is a big thing in Russia- it was before Stalin before it was crushed but cameback.

As I said- do that in any church around the world and it’d range from community service (it may even be classed as a hate crime here now), right through to being executed in many countries.

You say brave, I say in the very least very disrespectful. To some it would be blasphemy and to others there would be a lynch mob-death for them.

Lifer
    Free Member

What’s a ‘plastic-liberal’?

Pigface
    Free Member

Putin’s Russia is just a fascist state

I think it is way worse than that 🙁

wwaswas

and again the 2004 Countryside Alliance march where the State sponsored Police hit alot of people/provoked and conjolled.

and here you are 10 years on commenting on a bunch of yokels who wouldn’t accept a democratic decision by their elected parliament so clearly you believe there is some merit in peaceful protest and that it should be allowed to pass off without heavy handed state intervention regardless of the gender or political views of those involved.

[note some of the above language may be deliberately inflammatory, much like hora and his Max Mosely post]

emsz
    Free Member

As they say themselves they are a group that dedicates itself against ” the rise of the corporate Political elite who’s power is directed against basic human rights and civil and political liberties”

Sounds like a silly little protest to me. 🙄

kimbers

dont know much about the russian orthodox church do you hora?

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/05/13/us-russia-gay-idUSBRE94C0AX20130513

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/how-vladimir-putin-helped-resurrect-the-russian-orthodox-church/article16361650/

[plastic liberal mode]
    Id say that your responses have more than a whiff of the classic male insecurity feeling threatened by self-empowered women [/plastic liberal mode]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

and here you are 8 years on commenting on a bunch of yokels who wouldn’t accept a democratic decision by their elected parliament

OK, being a bit picky here, but it was about making a voice heard against the potential decision. Much like the anti-war protests that happened around the same time. It was not about not accepting a decision which had not yet been made, just voicing opposition to it.

That said, I agree in full that peaceful (as the CA march was) protest should not only be allowed to continue unhindered and unbeaten, but should actually be encouraged, as it engages more people in the political decisions that run a country.

anagallis_arvensis

Wtf has the countryside alliance got to do with it. There’s right and wrong, hitting and kicking women for singing and dancing is wrong, I fail to see how you can claim otherwise you plastic fascist.

hora
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – I fail

thats right.

wwaswas

fair do’s cfh.

Much like the Iraq thing it was pretty much a foregone conclusion though 🙁

Lifer
    Free Member

Going into the Orthodox church and saying god is shit?

You might want to read up on the incident.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The goal may be worthy indeed emsz, but their methods may still be silly at times. No contradiction there.

anagallis_arvensis

Wow your debating skills are really coming on Hora.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hitting and kicking women for singing and dancing is wrong

Can’t argue with that really.

Unless you’re hora, or the like, of course…

yossarian
    Free Member

Wow your debating skills are really coming on Hora.

And he’s typing with his forehead, fair play

hora
    Free Member

You might want to read up on the incident.

Do you know the song words that they used and sang in there.

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Hora, do you have issues with women?
    &
    Wow your debating skills are really coming on Hora

Sorry you started off with an unsubstantiated insult. How were you debating?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Pussy Riot’ is closed to new replies.