Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pushing barb into XT brake hose
  • oldnpastit

I was struggling to push the barb into an XT brake hose after shortening it. Fix was to gently heat it up with a hot air gun, it then slipped in as easy as anything, but became fixed solid when it cooled down.

(Disclaimer: I haven’t ridden it yet, so perhaps it will explode, who knows).

That is all.

EDIT: another hot tip is to have a small black and white dog with a long swishy tail around to help you by finding the olive when it drops off onto the floor.

jam-bo

Or use the yellow blocks supplied to clamp it in a vice and tap it in with a soft mallet…

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Or use the yellow blocks supplied to clamp it in a vice and tap it in with a soft mallet…

+1. Pretty easy really doing it this way.

Mister-P
    Free Member

You don’t even need a vice. The square cut out on Park cable cutters grips the blocks perfectly.

wwaswas

Get a Jagwire Pin Driver.

Makes the job a pleasure.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for Jagwire pin driver

svalgis
    Free Member

Honestly, all you need is a hammer. I can appreciate your obsessions with fancy tools though. 🙂

robgclarkson
    Free Member

svalgis – Member
    Honestly, all you need is a hammer. I can appreciate your obsessions with fancy tools though.

yup.. the old tried and tested method of brute force and ignorance works for me everytime

jim25

Just use the supplied yellow blocks and a hammer

svalgis
    Free Member

yup.. the old tried and tested method of brute force and ignorance works for me everytime

Which method do you prefer for installing the barb? How is the result significantly better than the one which Shimano themselves recommend? Sorry for my ignorance. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pushing barb into XT brake hose’ is closed to new replies.