Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Push tuning versus custom tuning?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

Is ‘Push’just a brand name or is it different to other people’s custom tuning? Any experiences with either? I’m still trying to decide between a new coil shock or to have an old(found in the shed)shock serviced and tuned?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Bump – LoCo where art thou?

mmannerr

I think it is bit both really, they ask some questions about your bike, setup and use. This should translate into selecting more suitable damping configuration (shim stacks) for the particular rider & bike combination. The Push tuning includes some Push -manufactured parts too.

Tftuned did shock tuning a long before they started doing Push modifications, I had couple of those and was very impressed by the results then. My Push tuned shocks have suffered less from the oil/nitrogen leaks than the originals but whether that is due newer Fox parts or Push parts is hard to say.
    And yes, the service is expensive but I think it has been worth the price in the long run.

LoCo
    Free Member

PUSH is the brand that TF are agents for in the UK, generally their kit involve a new piston and/or shim stack arrangement.
    A custom tune can be various thing depending on whose doing it.
    Generally it’ll use the original piston and a new shim stack, depending on the unit the pistons can be ported or machined to improve oil flow and direction, other parts of the unit can be ‘optimised’ to improve oil flow too.

A tune needs to take into account all factors of both bike, rider and use.

If you want more or less of most things it will be acheiveable with either modification.

kamina
    Free Member

I think the reason custom tunes generally make such a big difference is that most of the time the biggest problem with stock (Fox) shocks has to do with compression and rebound tunes. Any talented suspension guys can fix those and make a big difference by just modifying the shim stacks and valving.

On top of this Push will generally put a custom piston and other parts which will improve performance, but possibly at a level that a lot of riders will not touch (for example really fast successive hits), and even if they do they will not notice the difference so well.

I quite like push, always made a big difference to me. However from what I talked with Tim when he was still with tftuned, he did seem convinced they could get very close by just tuning the shock themselves.

LoCo
    Free Member

Modification of standard parts is also possible to improve the performance I tend to agree with Tim’s point than it’s possible to get very close to the PUSH tune with just valving with the additon of the other modifactions that are possible on the standard items it would be difficult to see any difference except on the Dyno or by a very good development rider e.g Nico.

messiah
    Free Member

Clever marketing, nice stickers and bragging rights 😆

My understanding is the PUSH parts are mostly about increasing oil flow and hence allowing the shock to recover from multiple hits.

Big hits are easy to handle but multiples tend to pack the shocks down and prevent them recovering – especially if they have the Fox patented pro pedal pish installed (a big washer in the piston instead of proper shims).

If your paying for a custom tune with TFT it’s not much more to get a few shiney bits inside and a nice sticker – that was why I went for Push last time.

Probably could have got the same performance with only a custom tune but the sales patter was good… and I’ve been very very happy with the results.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Push tuning versus custom tuning?’ is closed to new replies.