Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Push tuning/ PUSHima upgrades. Worth it?
  • johnny

So, I have a Yeti SB66 with an rp23, which is now clearly in need of a service. (Unserviced for over two years, and I think the propedal has just given notice) I’ve been running it with a medium air can spacer to sit a bit higher in the travel and it’s felt pretty good up and down hill.

Instead of just a regular service, I’m thinking of getting it Pushed in the process. I’ve also noticed the possibility of the ‘PUSHima’body replacement. This amounts to about £200. Is it worth it? I’m also thinking I could buy a CCDB inline and flog the old shock for not too much difference…?

Dark-Side

I have no personal experience of Push, but a riding buddy has just had his RP23 done and swears it’s transformed the shock. As an aside, I picked up a CCDB Inline today for £281 from CRC with the additional 10% off, a CRC £5 code and a £10 voucher. Even without the voucher you’d be able to get one for £291 if you can get hold of a CRC money code, which is a bargain.

johnny

That is a very good point! I think I’ll be looking at which sizes of CCDB are on offer at CRC… That PUSHima body would look good though, and I’m not one for fiddling with kit a lot..?

milko9000
    Free Member

I got my Rp23 on the same bike push tuned in similar circumstances and it did make a nice difference. Hadn’t changed the can and it was already Kashima though (oh I just read up and see that’s a different thing… I would have thought it a marginal gain, but yay for murdering out stuff, I guess). Yeah, it feels a bit more… I’m shit at describing this sort of stuff. It feels smoother through the middle of the travel somehow, and it also made me feel like it was busting to accelerate out of every compression, really racy. At least some of this will surely have been placebo effect.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve just sent mine to J Tech to be tuned. My thought was I can see what it’s like and if it’s not that much better I can always sell it. I’m always a bit dubious about buying top of the range stuff like CCDB as I’m basically not good enough to justify it !

chakaping
    Free Member

Ccdb inline is on another level to a push-ed fox air shock.

Been riding both this year, on similar suspension systems

Northwind

I used to have a PUSH’d RP23 and it was noticably better, very supple and basically a bit less airy and a bit more coily.

PUSHima may be mostly to make it look cool. I think I’m going to get a CCDB inline but if I was going to get my current RP23 PUSH’d I reckon I’d get it pushima’d, because black.

singlespeedstu

If the CCDB inline is anywhere near as good as the CCDB air CS it’ll piss all over any PUSH upgrade even if the shaft isn’t murdered out. 🙄

duir
    Free Member

Have 2 TF PUSHED RP23’s. Both a few years old and both have been brilliant. Very reliable and in a different league to the standard fox stuff. The main thing is it introduces mid stroke support where a shock spends most of it’s time. This means it doesn’t dive if you run it at the correct or slightly less psi and you don’t need high psi to prevent dive which makes it harsh. I am not a fan of Fox at all but my cheap RP23’s just keep going and going. I think TF will re do the PUSH after a few rides if you don’t like the tune as there are several different PUSH tunes available.

I like the simplicity of the older RP23’s as with a PUSH tune, all you need to do is dial in the rebound and you are set for any ride. The PUSH tune will take away the pedal platform, I never used that anyway but it might bother some.

The Cane Creek stuff looks really good but I have had a couple of pals that were very disappointed by the CCDB air and sold it after a few rides. If my experience with the CCDB coil is anything to go by, it may be that it just takes ages to get it setup right as there is an awful lot of adjustments. You can end up constantly feeling like you need to adjust something all the time!

singlespeedstu

The Cane Creek stuff looks really good but I have had a couple of pals that were very disappointed by the CCDB air and sold it after a few rides. If my experience with the CCDB coil is anything to go by, it may be that it just takes ages to get it setup right as there is an awful lot of adjustments. You can end up constantly feeling like you need to adjust something all the time!

User error. 😉

zero-cool
    Free Member

Had the RP23 on my Alpine 160 Pushed last year after the Boost Valve died and it’s been brilliant. Much improved it (although I had spent the previous 6 months including 3 weeks in France running it broken).

Tom KP

Northwind

duir – Member

If my experience with the CCDB coil is anything to go by, it may be that it just takes ages to get it setup right as there is an awful lot of adjustments.

I found that with my motorbike… Stock shock, about 7 settings, none of which were terrible, one of which was best. Ohlins shock, about 10 billion settings, some of which would kill you, and still only one that’s best 😉 I’ve no idea if I got the best out of my coil CCDB, I just got it to work better than an RC4 and then just twiddled it occasionally. But even set up by a knobber, it was ace.

(I got both the Ohlins for the bike, and the CCDB coil, slightly used from people who couldn’t get them to work)

duir
    Free Member

User error.

Possibly although they are pretty switched on cookies. For my CCDB coil it was on a full on DH race bike so a bit of a different kettle of fish to the air version. At first I found that I was running it with zero compression until I realised I could run a lighter spring than usual with so much adjustment available.

Does the CCDB air feel loads better than a PUSH tuned shock because it feels better in general or because it has so much adjustment and can be made to feel brilliant?

Been considering the CCDB air for a while so would be very interesting to see the PUSH comparison.

singlespeedstu

Does the CCDB air feel loads better than a PUSH tuned shock because it feels better in general or because it has so much adjustment and can be made to feel brilliant?

I think it feels better controlled and more fade resistant in general but the icing on the cake is the adjustability for you to be able to set it up the way you want it.
    Not how someone at TF thinks you want it.
    It’s really not that difficult to set up.
    Find the recomended base tune and then make small changes one at a time
    Think about how things have changed then think what you want it to do and make any more changes one at a time.

Five or six rides and you should have it at least 95% there.
    The rest is like going from really good to perfect.
    The best i’ve ever got from a Fox is better than standard but still not exactly what i want.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My RP23 has the Pushima body as the old one was pooped.

Can’t tell the difference from that alone. But it was barely more than the standard replacement

duir
    Free Member

Find the recomended base tune and then make small changes one at a time

That’s how I finally got my CCDB setup. I got the spring right, did a base tune and then did 8 runs at Fort William changing one notch at a time……perfect (well for Fort William anyway).

I guess that on the all day bike and the air version it’s easier to get a setup that works for most rides. I also like the idea that these days I prefer to use my all day bike for everything and a CCDB makes it a bit more jack of all trades with so much adjustability.

On another note the inline does seem pretty reasonably priced for what you get.

How the reliability on the CCDB air’s?

mildred

My rp2 is pushed. My Bos Vip’r was by far the best shock I had and wanted the rp2 to mimic it, which it does brilliantly. I also have a pushed vanilla r, which is far better than the CCDB it replaced. I don’t mind fiddling, and understand suspension but I just love the fit & forget nature of the push tuned fox.

jamj1974

Dark Side – Member
    I have no personal experience of Push, but a riding buddy has just had his RP23 done and swears it’s transformed the shock. As an aside, I picked up a CCDB Inline today for £281 from CRC with the additional 10% off, a CRC £5 code and a £10 voucher. Even without the voucher you’d be able to get one for £291 if you can get hold of a CRC money code, which is a bargain.

Isn’t that the coil one without the spring?

johnny

Hmm, loads of good thoughts here- I’m split over boths as the inline is shinier, but the PUSHima is er, blacker…

I’m not a great fettler, i prefer things to just work so i can go riding, so thats something against the CCDB. Also this sound relevant to my experience of the rp23:

duir- The main thing is it introduces mid stroke support where a shock spends most of it’s time. This means it doesn’t dive if you run it at the correct or slightly less psi and you don’t need high psi to prevent dive which makes it harsh.

I’ve been riding my RP23 with volume reduction spacers in for this very reason, and it does tend to help the shock to sit higher in the travel on small drops/landing jumps. It still has a tendency to feel a little wallowy in berms/compressions. A shame as the suspension is so good over roots/rocks rough sections.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not a great fettler, i prefer things to just work so i can go riding, so thats something against the CCDB.

Never touched mine since I put it on the bike! The suggested settings are so good that I don’t see any point.

The composure and control are just stunning, easily the best shock I’ve owned (my first CCDB though). By comparison the PUSHed RP2 on the bike I just sold was pretty good but still got overwhelmed on long rocky sections sometimes.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I had my RP23 pushed recently. There were some problems with the shock as sent in, even allowing for these being fixed when it came back it was better than it ever was.
    So much more mid range support, useful rebound damping adjustment on offer.. the icing on the cake was that it’s so supple over the really small stuff (chatter). I would have happily sacrificed that in the name of mid range support – but ended up with both so I’m very happy.

OP – IMO if you basically like the shock currently but would like it to be more supportive save your cash and get it tuned. If you want a lot of adjustment and to have fun fiddling with it then maybe a change to CaneCreek is the way to go.

Dark-Side

Isn’t that the coil one without the spring?

Nope, definitely inline. Should be here tomorrow.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Push tuning/ PUSHima upgrades. Worth it?’ is closed to new replies.