Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Push Tune an RP3 or get New Fox Float CDT Factory
  • EhWhoMe

Service is going to be £200ish for RP3 (2005 model) with push tune, new shock is £300 ish.
    Anybody have any experience with a pushed RP3 165mm eye to eye shock or the new CDT factory ones which im told are the only ones available in the length required.
    Spoke to the main shock service people, one says push the old one it will be a better shock, the other says get the new one it will be the better shock..

HELP NEEDED..

TA

teamslug
    Free Member

Have you tried Loco tuning. He’s the guy to speak to. He’s on here alot and did a spot on job with mine and mates rear shock. Good pricing too compared to the bigger companies.

sam_underhill

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve damaged the shaft on my RP23, so a service +kashima upgrade (which replaces the shaft) and a PUSH whilst I’m there is looking pretty expensive. I think I’m landing on the fising it up side. It’ll be a shock setup exactly for your bike and your weight and your riding. Just because it’s not the latest model doesn’t really matter. In theory it should be way better than a generic shock.

EhWhoMe

Aye spoke to Loco, if i get a new shock i will get it from there but they dont do push tune , its this that is the main thing, is it really all that compared to the new CDT which cant be pushed, TFT said the internals are different so cant take the shims..best would be new shock pushed which is what i was initially after but thats not an option.

Arrghhhhh…

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’d go for the PUSH tune. I dont have it any more but I did this on my Orange 5 rather than swapping over to a new CDT shock from a newer Orange 5 I bought Mrs Rosscopeco (She’d never know :wink:) It transformed the pedal platform feel of the shock (never good on a single pivot) but it also made a HUGE difference when taking big hits. At the time TFT told me the old RP23’s were far better than the new CDT ones…sorry can’t remember specifically why!

greeble
    Free Member

FFS all this push tune magic fix tuning.

speak to loco/mojo and explain what you want from the shock and i’m sure you’ll get a custom tune that will rival a push tune

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve got a CDT and am well chuffed with it!

messiah
    Free Member

Was there a performance problem with your current shock that your trying to fix with the Push upgrade, or is it classic upgradeitus?

A custom tune is a custom tune, and a Push custom tune is only an ugrade on a custom tune if the Push gubbins is actually doing something inside the shock which is of benefit. From what I remember of the two Push upgrades I’ve had the reason for TFT reccomending them is that because of the particular issues I was having with “packing down” on repetative hits the Push system allows more oil to flow and improves this aspect of the shocks performance.

A custom tune improves what you think is wrong with the shock if you give the tuner the right information/feedback. Buy a new shock and your starting from baseline settings, which may or may not suit you… which is the right thing to do?

So… how do you think the performance of your old shock could be improved? Will a new shock with it’s bells and whistles do this or would tuning the old one be better?

Edit – reread the first post. It’s a 2005 shock so 7 years old, and it’s a 165 eye to eye so probably on a shorter travel type bike. Shock sophistication may not give huge benefits in this type of application (IMHO etc etc) so get a standard service (or custom tune if you think it’s worth it) but if the tuner tells you the shock is tired by a new one.

greeble
    Free Member

good advice messiah.

so many people are clueless to shocks and forks.

EhWhoMe

TA , the thing i think could be better is the wallowing saggy feeling i get sometimes , feels almost like i have a flat back tyre..
    Maybe the new CDT has some gubbins in to help this being newer as things do move on, maybe the push would do this which is where opinions are helpfull.

Greeble your right, im probably clueless to shocks which is why im askin, this would render me not clueless anymore due to my newly aquired knowledge…i think thats how learning works anyway..
    Maybe just maybe i know something about something you don’t..

Thanks

greeble
    Free Member

Maybe just maybe i know something about something you don’t..

lol

childish f’ker

all I was doing was pointing out how people think the PUSH tune is a magic fix to a badly seup or tuned shock.

proberts
    Free Member

I wouldn’t personally spend 200+ on a 7 year old shock, I’d sell it and put the money towards a CDT.

Everyone loves shiny new bike-bling don’t they….that MUST be something everyone can agree on!’

EhWhoMe

childish F**ker

you started it….. 😆 😉

EhWhoMe

proberts,

what did your new shock replace? and what does the new CDT one do better than the old one…

Cheers

wrecker
    Free Member

Service is going to be £200ish for RP3 (2005 model) with push tune

😯

I’d just get a coil and be done with it.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Kashima was great up grade on mine.

greeble
    Free Member

Service is going to be £200ish for RP3 (2005 model) with push tune

or £101 service and £36 custom tune at mojo.

EhWhoMe

old one needs damper rod and shaft body…so £200 ish..

proberts
    Free Member

My CDT replaced a 2010 RP23….it does everything better, I don’t know how much research you’ve done into the CDT but it has 3 modes (Climb, Descend and Trail) which you can flick between depending on what your riding. i had a 2012 RP23 which I was never happy with previosly but this one is brill!!

rexated
    Free Member

proberts, as an aside, does the ‘C’ mode represent a decent lock-out or is there still a fair bit of movement int there?

proberts
    Free Member

Its not a total lockout, I was watching it the other day when I was climbing with it set to climb, it was going through about 5-10mm travel and I was mashing in a high gear for testing purposes.

EhWhoMe

thanks proberts thats helpfull, my RP3 has three settings too , its was changed on the RP23 to two with with the ability to ajdust the 2 via the nob behind the lever, i think.

It seems Fox have gone back to the three preset settings akin to the RP3 , although the longer eye to eye CDT boost valve shocks have 3 settings and have the ability to adjust the “trail” position for more or less damping to suit the rider, so sort of custom tunable by the end user to a degree..sadly this is not on the 165mm version for what ever reason..

wrecker
    Free Member

Looking at the cost of fox air shocks and also the experience of the performance, this may be well worth looking at;
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a60623/monarch-rt3-mid-reb-mid-comp.html?lg=en

Less than the cost of a service and superior performance (I am not a fox hater, I have a fox coil shock and air forks but their air shocks are shit and the servicing costs exorbitant IMHO)

proberts
    Free Member

I also agree with Wrecker, as much as im happy with my CDT if I was looking for another shock I’d be going for a RS Monarch

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d recommend staying with the Fox rear shock, whether you choose the CTD or the custom tuning option, the build quality is better.

pete68
    Free Member

Just checked the TF tuned site. RP3 service is £89 and Push tuning is £50. That’s a lot less than £200, so that would seem the far better option.

EhWhoMe

pete68 see above post i need a few other bits put in due to wear, i spoke with TFT yesterday and was quoted £190 and i have to post it so £200ish still..

pete68
    Free Member

Fair enough. Your original post just said service and push.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Push Tune an RP3 or get New Fox Float CDT Factory’ is closed to new replies.