Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Push seatposts – anyone else snapped one?
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I can’t remember where I bought it from, but have just snapped a fairly solid looking seat post made by a company called “Push” (might be the model name??) – could well be this one http://www.wiggle.co.uk/push-alloy-seat-post/

I’m a v light rider (9.5 stone), and only ride xc and have never had a heavy crash with this seatpost.. is it reasonable for something to fail like this (is admittedly a few years old) – it snapped about an inch above where it goes into the frame. Strange thing was I was sat down riding along a flat piece of track when it failed.

I don’t mind parts breaking, but not when it’s likely they might seriously injure me as a result.. whats the general consensus – MTFU and just buy another seatpost, or should I contact the manufacturer and complain?

Edit: Yep, I know it’s muddy, that’s what bikes are built for!

wwaswas

looking at the discolouration it’s been cracked for a while and oxidised?

I think you’ll need to mtfu and get another seatpost regardless of the risk of it subsequently breaking.

Thomson are designed to bend and not snap when they reach their fatigue limit but if you ignore a crack in one it’ll still go.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

If there was a crack, I never noticed before this happened.. the front section of the post is ever so slightly darker than the rest of the post (if that is what you are referring to) – though not as much as indicated in the pic – that’s mainly shadow..

Am more concerned just simply as I ride like a wuss downhill, and weigh f*ck all, so if this happens to me, it’ll also happen to a lot of heavier/faster riders..

bristolbiker
    Free Member

…are designed to bend and not snap when they reach their fatigue limit…

I’m trying to get my head round this – are you saying the design fatigue stress of a Thompson post is GREATER than the yield stress?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Push is a cheapy brand imported and distributed by Fisher Outdoor Leisure. They might be interested in seeing it for research purposes.

wwaswas

bb – not sure of the science tbh, but they do bend and not break. Maybe fatigure isn’t the right word, this is the internet I can bandy any phrase I like around, surely?

ton bent one, just by looking at it the wrong way iirc.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

wwaswas – ok, you have the good grace to stop digging 😉 You’re underlying sentiment may well be correct, but I’m struggling with the pseudo-science of the argument… and here isn’t the place to go through a degree course of material science and solid mechanics to get to the bottom of why.

FWIW, looks to me like a fatigue failure a well. The fact that the OP is a skinny runt (…none taken…) would tend to support fatigue cracking, rather than bending (yielding of the material) from taking a big hit under the backside of someone of larger proportions.

A few lines of history and a couple of pics is far from conclusive either way though, so the pitchfork stays in the barn 😉

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks guys – have contacted Fisher – am more after their opinion rather than a free seatpost..

Incidently.. nice use of advert on the imageshack overview page!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Push seatposts – anyone else snapped one?’ is closed to new replies.