Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Purveyors of quality gentlemens shirts?
  • 40mpg

The stuff in M&S is just dull, cheap looking and hangs like a sack on me. Next has gone all narrow-collar narrow-tie. Debenhams is all slim-fit (which I can’t quite manage).

There’s a TM Lewin in town but its £40 a pop there, really need something about half that price – prefer single cuff too and kind of ‘tailored fit’ in a bid to keep some kind of fashion in my wardrobe.

Suggestions?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

prefer single cuff too and kind of ‘tailored fit’

Can happily help with suggestions for top quality shirts, but more of the double cuff nature! I suspect someone will be along with all manner of niche-brands for you, but one that’s worth a look online for cheaper shirts is Charles Tyrwhitt.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ben Sherman do some really nice short sleeved ones now that the Summer’s upon us 🙂

nedrapier

Hawes and Curtis near you? Put together a bit better then TM Lewin, and last longer.

“Cheapest” is to bite the bullet and buy 4 for £90. Bit of money down, but you’ll use them at some point.

Or Charles Tyrwhitt.

Not French Eye. Cheap, but only look good for 2 washes, then they go a bit funny.

clubber
    Free Member

TM Lewin seems to regularly have sales where decent shirts are £20-25 though they are double cuff. Fit wise, they do various shapes so that shouldn’t be an issue.

5lab

if you can put up with the place. tk max often has loads of branded quality shirts for about £20

_tom_
    Free Member

I like my Next narrow collar narrow tie! *shakes fist*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lewin are overpriced tosh, IMO, even at the 4 for whatever it is deal. Ever since they stopped making them in Essex the quality has plummeted. Won’t buy them any more.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I like my Next narrow collar narrow tie! *shakes fist*

Which one are you Ant or Dec?

clubber
    Free Member

CFH – They’re ok actually IME – last a year or so which is reasonable I reckon.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing TM Lewin shirts for years now, my only gripe is the button holes on the inside of the cuffs fray from cufflink use, other than that they are a bargain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hmm. Not my recent experience of them, I must say. I’ve switched to Roderick Charles over the last couple of years and they seem to last a lot longer and the cloth feels much better to me.

infidel
    Free Member

+1 hawes and Curtis. Otherwise Bicester outlet for Pink or Gieves

TooTall
    Free Member

The last promo Lewins emailed me was 5 shirts for £100 – which appears to meet your price criteria. However, if you want single cuff and neither a normal nor slim fit, Asda sounds up your street.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It’s back to 4 for £90 now.

frogstomp

+1 for Charles Tyrwhitt.

They have a slim fit range and, just recently, a tailored range which is really good if you’re not that chunkily built.. oh, and 10% of via QuidCo and there’s normally a free delivery code floating around somewhere in the ether..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

+1 for Charles Tyrwhitt.

I found their sizing all over the place, the shirts did seem good quality though. Their ties however are too wide, silly wide.

runswithscissors

You want a well made and stylish shirt for twenty quid? Moon in a stick anyone?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

Lewin shirts are fine you just need to get the 4 for £100 or get an online voucher.

Has anyone tried the online shirt tailer? or is that tailor?

Simon carter seem ok as well.
    Pinks if you you only ever go when they have a sale on.

Daffy

House of Fraser are doing some good deals on Ted Baker.

I tend to buy Boss shirts these days, but can only afford them in the sale.

andyha
    Free Member

THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT WHAT YOU REALLY REALLY WANT

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

rustler
    Free Member

I have a “Van Heusen” (IIRC), shirt that is always nice to wear. Is cream coloured so bit old fashioned, but I always feel good in this shirt. Lovely material. I have no idea if the make is posh or not, as I picked it up in Oxfam.

Spud

Just got 4 Tyrwhitt shirts after a few years on Lewin, the Tyrwhitt seem nicer in quality. Had several issues in getting the right size as compared to the equivalent Lewin they’re HUGE. Slim fit in Tyrwhitt for me is like a regular Lewin too. Lewin slim fit are more tailored.

40mpg

Whats the Tyrwhitt returns policy like if they don’t size up too well?

resisted
    Free Member

I tend to wear Daniel Hechter shirts bought from John Lewis unless I require a double-cuff or dress shirt. Picked up loads for less than 20 quid as they often have promos running at the moment. Cut is great and fit I’ve found spot on for most occasions (I have one that’s a bit shorter than the others, despite them all being 15 1/2″) but they last too.

stevious

H&M’s smart range have some really nice shirts, and IIRC are 2 for £40. Worth a look.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Whats the Tyrwhitt returns policy like if they don’t size up too well?

I read somewhere they’ll basically take stuff back with cigarette holes in etdc. obviously worn etc. so don’t think you’d have a problem with returning due to bad sizing. And to be fair Distance selling rules would cover that anyway.

I like CTyrwhitt shirts, though be prepared of a bombardment of emails and post from them. I seem to get a new ‘offer’ everyday, must get round to unsubscribing form the mailing list.

enfht
    Free Member

Jermyn Street is worth a go if you’re near Londinium

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Purveyors of quality gentlemens shirts?’ is closed to new replies.