Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Purposeful Stupidity
  • maccruiskeen

From a declassified 1944 CIA handbook on Citizen Sabotage the “Simple Sabotage Field Manual” – methods for citizens of occupied states (such as Norway and France at the time) to subtly throw spanners in the works. The manual describes these actions as ‘purposeful stupidity’.

How many actions of sabotage have you committed in the last week? 🙂

Organizations and Conferences

Insist on doing everything through “channels.” Never permit short-cuts to be taken in order to expedite decisions.

Make “speeches.” Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your “points” by long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences.

When possible, refer all matters to committees, for “further study and consideration.” Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five.

Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.

Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.

Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.

Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and urge your fellow-conferees to be “reasonable” and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or difficulties later on.

Managers

In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first. See that important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers.

Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw.

To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions.

Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.

Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on. See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.

Employees

Work slowly.

Contrive as many interruptions to your work as you can.

Do your work poorly and blame it on bad tools, machinery, or equipment. Complain that these things are preventing you from doing your job right.

Never pass on your skill and experience to a new or less skillful worker.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty sure i love hairy balls

spekkie
    Free Member

This sounds like the actual hand-book many companies use on a daily basis!

cranberry
    Free Member

I am fairly sure that is a fake, taken from our organisations Best Practice Manual.

scaled
    Free Member

Sounds like brexit

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Notworkfail to the core

CountZero

Managers

In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first. See that important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers.

Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw.

To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions.

Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.

Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on. See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.
    Pretty damned sure the bloke brought in to ‘improve’ the performance and help ‘expand’ the company at the last place I worked had a copy of those instructions!
    In particular the bit I highlighted.
    Had me going to the doctor worried about my health, basically not far off bullying.
    In a much less stressful environment now, and far happier as a result.

footflaps

ISO9001 training manual.

shermer75
    Free Member

Genuinely epic 🙂

JAG

taken from our organisations Best Practice Manual

erm…. mine too 😛

matt_outandabout

Is that Stirling Council?

maccruiskeen

Its almost like the Japanise soldier who were hiding in the jungle for decades unaware the war was over. All these Civilian Saboteurs – nobody has sounded the all clear. They don’t know theres a cease fire and have continued their hostilities.

maccruiskeen

Make “speeches.” Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your “points” by long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences.

I once had to sit in on an interview panel for a new director for a small organisation. The chair of the board would ask her pre-agreed ‘killer question’ to each interviewee which related to a local cultural controversy and how the prospective candidate would steer the organisation in relation to it. The idea being to reveal how aware and knowledgeable the candidate was of the circumstances the organisation operated within

But she’s end the question with “I tell you why I ask…..” and then answer the question herself with lengthy anecdotes. One candidate actually had to interrupt her mid anecdote and say he actually had actually like to get the interview over before the shops shut.

Sundayjumper

This is every department of the Civil Service, including the ones contracted out in order to improve efficiency.

mikey74
    Free Member

Having spoken to a CIA field agent at a party in Washington DC once, I can atest to this one being true.

maccruiskeen

It seems like the unwritten rule for many is that their job is to be an interruption between Idea and Outcome. Otherwise nobody would notice they were there.

The CIA seem to think its genuine

Linky

IHN

The CIA seem to think its genuine

That’s what they want you to think 😉

maccruiskeen

Amusing, but fake.

Oh Norks – I did try Snopes-ing it and nothing came up

It was described in the article I saw it in as ‘CIA’ – but the PDF of the manual says ‘Office of Strategic Services’ so would it maybe be the CIA that declassified it. If its is a fake its a fairly extensive one – running to 32 pages

The text does also make reference to ‘the United Nations’ -the date of the document predates the UN as an organisation buy a year, but the ‘Declaration of United Nations’ was made in 1942

Northwind

maccruiskeen – Member

Its almost like the Japanise soldier who were hiding in the jungle for decades unaware the war was over. All these Civilian Saboteurs – nobody has sounded the all clear. They don’t know theres a cease fire and have continued their hostilities.

You are a beacon of sanity in a world gone maaaaad

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Purposeful Stupidity’ is closed to new replies.