Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Purple Extreme or Squirt Lube
  • kevster
    Free Member

In the market for a new lube, liking the idea of keeping the chain clean and minimising the time spent degreasing.

uplink
    Free Member

Rock 'n' Roll

neninja
    Free Member

I've been trying Squirt recently – I was very happy with it as first but it works well for about 15-20 miles but then seems to become less effective. It also seems to build up on the cassette and jockey wheels and acts like glue on over grown bridleways.

I think I'll be trying some alternatives.

kevster
    Free Member

Ok. Sounds like its maybe not as great as first envisaged?

nuke

Squirt…had the sample, now ordered a 120ml. Personally I find it lasts 30+ miles and haven't noticed any gunk build up.

Didn't think much of Purple Extreme…quite thin and didn't last long. Rock n Roll Gold is not bad but the whole put it on, then clean it all off is a bit of a faff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its all down to prep – need to clean up the chain and block really well – sparkling ….

ive just moved onto squirt after getting a sample at the puffer but trying to run down my stocks of white lightening "wet" as i won a case well over a year ago as a prize at an event.

squirt seems to be working well – as in i applied it once on my SS to a really clean chain about 6 weeks ago and havnt done so since. chain still looks sparkly too which is a bonus !

purple extreme – despite its claims and trying 2 or 3 times i could never get more than half a ride without reapplying it – even on an SS.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

I'm glad its not just me with squirt. Seems great for the first few miles, then got very noisy, almost like a worn chain skipping without actually skipping. I thought my freehub or wheel bearings were dying. Did this 3 rides on the trot, first 10 miles or so always smooth them the noises started again. Cleaned the whole lot off and went back to a wet lube and not a sound since, I've done 3 long rides without a peep. I guess I should give it another go just to confirm.

neninja
    Free Member

In my case the problems with Squirt were not down to poor preparation.

Chain was removed and soaked over night in white spirit and then thoroughly cleaned with a toothbrush with degreaser.
    The cassette and the jockey wheels were removed and cleaned. Front rings were properly cleaned too so the whole drive chain was spotless before applying the Squirt.

I fancy trying Rock'n'Roll Gold next

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Squirt does keep things looking clean and I imagine it would be fine on a singlespeed. I suspect the build up in the jockey wheels was responsible for the clunks and clicks I was hearing.

gamo
    Free Member

I am getting about 30 miles between lubing with squirt,but definetely not as clean as r+r extreme!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Whitespirit leaves and oily film on the change which would have prevented the squirt adhering and,I would imagine, foreshortening its performance somewhat.

My experience of Squirt is that it does keep the chain nice and clean, but all the lube is worn off the wearing surfaces in about 20-25 miles in the dry, and about 10 in the wet Mendips.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

hence why he then degreased with a toothbrush

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ah! missed that bit.

😳

grahamb
    Free Member

I'm getting about 50 miles with Squirt. The first application to a clean chain only lasts about 25. With the next few applications it seems to go further & further.

I can't say i've noticed any more build up of crap on the chain, nor any more attraction to trail side foliage than with any other dry lube. A quick wipe down of the chain with a cloth after a ride, it's clean & good for the next application.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Purple Extreme or Squirt Lube’ is closed to new replies.