Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Purgatory Grid or Purgatory Control
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

So I went into one of my LBS today and took a look at the Spesh tyres the butcher and purgatory the tread pattern looked right up my street.

So I was wondering has anyone tried both the grid and control and noticed much difference?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I have a purgatory grid on the rear, and a butcher control on the front. The bead is significantly stiffer on the purgatory which should give you some help if you’re running it tubeless, the sidewalls are supposed to be stiffer to protect against cuts too. If I had the choice and wanted to run it on the rear (or just wanted more protection & less hassle) then I’d get the grid. The casing comes at a small weight penalty of course.

Northwind

Never had any problems with the standard Control carcass myself but I know some people consider it a bit delicate.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Ripped 3 sidewalls on a purgatory control, I wont touch them again. Plus i’ve tried them tubless and kept burping them as well. Just too lightweight for me.

For 5 quid extra its a no brainer, the weight isnt that far off as well, certainly nothing like a maxxis EXO weight penalty. And it has a beefier sidewall.

I run them with the butcher conrol up front.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Would you say the grid has EXO sidewall stiffness?

sandwicheater

Run 29er Purgatory Controls front/rear tubeless and never had an issue.

I am a mincer.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

For me the stiffness thing is more about tyre stability at lower pressures.

philwarren11
    Free Member

No. EXO is thicker imo, and the weight shows that as well.

sandwicheater

What pressure are people running out of interest when they are having problems? I’m about 25-30 psi.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I won’t run my Purgatorys under 25psi, I’m 13.5 stone. While I haven’t damaged a sidewall, they do squirm a bit when really pushed (or I’ve cocked up). Great tyres though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Purgatory Grid or Purgatory Control’ is closed to new replies.