• This topic has 67 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • purely social STW rides
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just won't bring my bike. Nah nah nah NAA!!

I have one the same for you can use! 😛

Actually, I'd advise you not to bring the Pitch round here. You can borrow the Inbred. Far more suitable. You can use it for BBB if you like, I'll SS it. 🙂
    (The New Forest is even flatter)

robdob
    Free Member

Singlespeed, nooooooooooooooooo!!!! (runs away and hides)

The Pitch goes where I go, it'll be fine. It's fits me like a glove and I love it. A hardtail, no matter how light, probably won't make much of a difference to my speed.

jam-bo

Most Bog Trotter rides average ~5mph including punctures and lunch stop

surely a brisk walk would be more effective and then you really could go where you like….

Bunnyhop

robdob – you should come out with me. I'm very slow on the ups and I do believe you will beat most people off here anytime of the weekend on the downs.

Next time Pook has a Peak pootle I'll insist that you come with us, 'cos you were great fun 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

The problem with that is that the faster riders tend to get in some sociable chat while they're hanging around, but the slow guys at the end get no chance of a breather.

I've experienced that a few times at late – not a real motivator I have to say!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

surely a brisk walk would be more effective and then you really could go where you like…

on the terrain we ride 2.5mph would be good going on foot 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The problem with that is that the faster riders tend to get in some sociable chat while they're hanging around, but the slow guys at the end get no chance of a breather.

simple solution: the last to arrive says when it's time to set off again 🙂

timothius
    Free Member

How are the Surrey Hills rides organised?

rOcKeTdOg

hello Aleigh….told you 😉

cinnamon_girl

Of course they exist rOcKeTdOg!! But you need to choose carefully. 😉

The Purbecks one where you made an appearance was definitely social, as was this year's Swinley Social Networking one. The Winchester one finished with a brewery tour. 8)

I've been on loads that have been great fun with plenty of banter, pi**taking, eating, drinking etc. What's not to like?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I must admit it's a catch 22 situation- i tend to ride on my own so I don't hold people up but this doesn't get you as fit as going out as a group- I've decided this summer I will be more sociable and hold a few people up to improve my fitness- sorry tazzy 😆

cinnamon_girl

It's knowing who the ride is pitched at. I will always be honest in my description of what to expect, not fair to mislead folk.

sonik
    Free Member

so, how do these rides get organised? where do you get to hear about them?
    i'm guessing somewhere on this forum?

cinnamon_girl

It's a myth that you need a thick skin to organise one. 🙄

Actually sometimes it happens by accident. Someone will talk about a trail, another/others will comment and, before you know it, a plan is forming.

Just keep your eyes peeled on here. 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Pooks Peaks Pootles are definitely socials, no one minded waiting for me and robdob and the ups. I remember that one rob, the push up from the ashes in the snow when i was completely shattered. That was the most earned burger i have ever had! i now ride with a group every saturday, often with Nick Craigs son. Stupidly quick uphill and down, the genes have obviously been passed on. Grrrrrrr.

_tom_
    Free Member

Never been on a STW ride but other forums are all social rather than racey, although I tend to tear off on the descents a bit (well they're the best part aren't they) then have no energy left for the climbs 😆

I find I get round stuff (or at least cannock) quicker by myself as there are less or shorter breather/chat stops.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thats cos the last couple of TBC rides I haven't been there to bring up the rear and to say – "**** 'em – they can wait"

tazzymtb

pop you are always welcome to ride with us matey, I save my racerboy antics for special days out with like minded silly feckers and at all other times I'm happy to mince/bimble and eat nice cake.

If any folk ever want a slow tour of the off piste bits of cannock or a nice single speed in the peak district let me know 😀

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

>The problem with that is that the faster riders
    >tend to get in some sociable chat while they're
    >hanging around, but the slow guys at the end get
    >no chance of a breather.

Thats cos the last couple of TBC rides I haven't been there to bring up the rear and to say – "**** 'em – they can wait"

TBH, the last couple I was on (Kips a couple of weeks back and then Inners this week), it's been me telling the fast guys not to hang about too long as we've been fighting the darkness on these longer rides.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aye – the kips ride was fairly late back – after 10.30 when I got home.

I think its important the TBC rides are kept to a reasonably social pace tho. However its been nice on the ones I have been on that the fast bos don't look impatient waiting

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I've asked the site hamsters to make a ride calendar. Cross your fingers.

I posted up last years Mendip ride for several reasons:

1) I really enjoyed the vibe of Oldfarts Exmoor Safari
    2) STWers turn out to be really nice people
    3) I wanted to show non-locals how fun our trails were

Come on this year's one: Aug 15th

jedi

the olden days gt stw rides rocked!

rOcKeTdOg

If there's a calendar maybe the rides could be graded, fast/social etc, but I suppose one persons social is anothers flat out slog

hora
    Free Member

robdob, thats the ride that took 6.5hours and I'd started to feel really peckish 4-5hours in (didnt think it'd be a long one!). Then at the bottom of Cavedale me and Iain decided to take the shortcut back to Edale rather than climb up the old mam tor road……. 😆

TBH – I love socialable rides where you get to laugh alot and natter. Even if I was ultra-fit I'd still want to horse around and talk to riders/walkers coming the other way etc.

Surrey Hill rides- I've always had a laugh everytime I rode around there. Some great memories 😀

sambob
    Free Member

hora, rob was talking about the jacobs ladder one in the snow i think. and if you com up the old mam tor road, you would have been blown over like pook was 😆

hora
    Free Member

Ah yes- the ONLY part of the ride clear* of snow was the Jacob Ladder descent 😆

*Well it did have ice on

sambob
    Free Member

it wasnt clear of snow at all!!!! the only bit that was was the track after it!

hora
    Free Member

Well the ice made it interesting. It was definitely more dangerous to walk down that than ride it 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘purely social STW rides’ is closed to new replies.