Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Pure Racing i850 Seatpost
  • nina
    Free Member

or making things look pretty

twohats
    Free Member

But even the £250 ones don't look "pretty".

GaryLake
    Free Member

still dont really understand these things. £60-£250 to save you the hassle of getting off your bike for a sec, undoing the QR dropping your seat and then tightening you QR again.

balmy!

God forbid any of us want to actually ride nonstop!!!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

God forbid any of us want to actually ride nonstop and can't do that without endless changes to position on the bike. 🙂

b17
    Free Member

i wouldn't mind one for riding in the pyrennees/alps when you don't know how long the downhill is or what it will be like. It's an arse stopping to drop your saddle only to find the track just goes round the corner then uphill again!

GaryLake
    Free Member

God forbid any of us want to actually ride nonstop and can't do that without endless changes to position on the bike.

God forbid any of us want to ride a trail difficult, steep enough or fast enough to actually warrant dropping the post.

cynic-al
    Free Member

God forbid any of us have preferences different to others.

nina
    Free Member

god forbid this thread descend into willy waving 😀

GaryLake
    Free Member

*waves willy*

SammyC
    Free Member

*sniggers at Gary*

snowslave

I got one today, giving it a go. If nothing else, it will make me fitter riding with this extra weight on the bike….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

still dont really understand these things. £60-£250 to save you the hassle of getting off your bike for a sec, undoing the QR dropping your seat and then tightening you QR again.

In the Alps it has to be said they are a good idea. Of the 4 of us that went recently, 2 had them, 2 didn't. And the 2 that didn't wished they did.
    But in the UK I doubt I'd ever need one. You just don't spend as much time with your seat down. Just not necessary.

ojom
    Free Member

It seems to be something people 'get' or just don't.

I fail to see why each camp needs to argue so vociferously over it though

I reckon they are great.

nickc

I'm with BD luckily I have long enough legs not to really have to worry about this sort of stuff, but it does seem like a solution to a problem that didn't exist a while back.

Whatever, if it makes you happy, get one…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Oh quite. And a £60 heavy, ug-tastic seatpost that solves the problem for a while before breaking is clearly about four times as good as a £250 heavy ug-tastic seatpost that solves the problem for a while before breaking.

Basically, I am jealous of anyone who gets to ride non-stop without being surrounded by faffers. 😀

Olly
    Free Member

because, thebikechain, this forum is founded on a tradition of arguing, if we wernt arguing, it would be silence!!

Rampage
    Free Member

Somewhere like Llandegla or Lee Quarry they are brilliant, where the trail changes gradient constantly.

But somewhere like the Peaks where you are either going up or down for a minimum of 20 minutes (uphill) then they're not that essential.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

As a rider in the Peak – i find it a great system. If you could show mea 20 minute downhill i would be grateful also rampage!!

I love mine – multi drop gravity dropper, drop it 2" on singletrack and down descents like lockerbrook, and the full 4" in stanage plantation etc when i want the seat out the way.

Those who slate them have not used them (or used them fro a prolonged period) imo.

On a ride a few months back 8/12 had gravity droppers, all agreed that they were the best "upgrade" they had purchased that improved their riding.

Northwind

I thought they were a stupid idea til I rode at innerleithen and discovered plummets of doom immediately followed by short traverses followed by plummets. Much the same applied at Drumlanrig, lots of pedalling with occasional steep stuff. You'd never need one at, say, glentress I reckon but stopping and starting can really knacker your flow.

twohats
    Free Member

What I don't get is why the expensive ones are so bloody expensive!
    A very comfy office chair with the same "technology" can be had for less than £50, not that it would fit on your bike mind…

Northwind

Yeah, but they stamp out millions of office chairs vs a few thousand seatposts

igm

DrP – Member
    IGM – did you find service details on the web?
    If not, could you briefly let me know of any pitfalls to avoid when unscrewing the post.
    Also, how do you 're-pressurise' it on putting it back together?

Cheers

DrP

No, no, no, don't do it – at least not on my recommendation. By "serviceable" I mean suitable for putting into service, ie useable, not that it is maintainable.
    Sorry and all, just an old school engineer of the asset owning and operating variety.

igm

Incidentally I think this seat post is ace because it lets me lift my son onto his LOCT bike seat while I keep my feet on the ground, themn set off and lift the seat to riding height. on stopping I drop the saddle before I stop so I get my feet back on the ground while still stable.

That said between 3 year old son, Loct seat and KS seatpost my bike isn't exactly racing weight at the moment. Excellent for training on long draggy climbs though.

LOL – said the man with the green bike, brown forks and gairish black fenders

Nowt wrong with the aesthetics of my old Enduro……

Even looked ok with mudguards sometimes…..

I have no problem with putting mudguards on my bike, or having a shitty scratched seatpost. Sometimes I want my bike to be functional, sometimes I want it to look really nice too. One thing I won't do, from my 12 yr old Kona, to my new Enduro is hang cheap crap off it.

I'm not a bike snob, but when I wanted a suspension seatpost, I waited until I could afford a USE XCR. I didn't buy a Post Moderne because it was cheap and I could afford it, as it was quite obviously a load off toss.

The only dropper post I would buy is arguably the ugliest – simply because it's seems to justify it's cost with it's functionality and durability over everything else out there – Gravity Dropper.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Ok, just some initial feedback – I've onyl taken it for a spin in the street…

The Good:

It looks quite reasonable – it's no Joplin but on the other end of the spectrum, it's not Gravity Dropper! 😉

Rotational play is as good as non-existant.

Those worried about the 20mm of 'suspension', this only works when it's dropped – if it's at full height it is totally locked out. I don't intend to be sitting on the saddle in situations when it warrants dropping anyway.

Now the not so good. Yeah it's heavy. Although once on the bike it wasn't actually that noticeable.

I actually thought mine was faulty at first, it just wouldn't go down when I sat on it! If I removed it and put it on the floor it would compress easily. I left it compressed over night and then tried again, still no joy, emailed Leisure lakes to complain. In the mean time, faffed some more and realised you do need to shimmy forward slightly and it just works. An odd quirk but given the price and/or availability of other 27.2 posts, I can live with it.

Which so far, kinda sums the post up – I don't intend to run it full time, and for the money, I can live with the downsides.

I don't know how it'll hold up in the wet because I don't intend to use it in the wet. When we get some dry weather, I'll have a play in the woods and report back.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

jeez so wet wetaher means swapping seatpost, enjoy both rides of the year with it then – lol

GaryLake
    Free Member

Well I've got a spare saddle kicking around and both bikes take 27.2 so it's kind of ok with me… It'll probably go to trail centres regardless of weather anyway…

I'm just thinking Bristol local trails and questionably reliable posts from other brands to date = bad idea…

PeteG55
    Free Member

Sorry for dragging up an old post (pun not intended 🙂 ) but any idea of the actual weight of this thing? As opposed to just heavy 😉

chimpymcchimp

Sorry for resurrecting an old one, and sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but which side does the lever sit – under the front of the saddle or the back?

If it's the front, how the frickittyfrick so you get the saddle in the right place with the clamp design?! It's driving me mad!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

It sits under the nose of the saddle 8)

chimpymcchimp

righto, cheers. back out into the sun with an allen key then!

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Pure Racing i850 Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.