Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • pupils "held back" by overemphasis on arts
  • methers27
    Free Member

not sure if we have covered these words from the education secretary, condemning arts and humanity subjects, i had a quick search but couldn’t find a post

methers27
    Free Member

and here is a very well worded and eloquent response that portrays my exasperation far better than i myself could click

winston
    Free Member

Not sure she is condemning anything. Seems she is suggesting that if you haven’t got a clue what to do with your life like many 14-16 year olds then it may be a fallacy that choosing options with a definite humanties or arts bias will leave more career doors open than taking science based subjects or a mixture of the two.

I am no Nicky Morgan fan but it seems her advisors probably meant well here.

The response above may well address this but I fell asleep half way through

MrSmith
    Free Member

i was held back by all the languages/maths/science crap in school. luckily i blossomed later on in educashon

aP
    Free Member

On a quick scanned quick read, I must admit that she’s probably correct in that foregoing some sciences will limit you in terms of rigour and process and some progression. And I do have some reservations as to the likely prospects of students taking some of the soft courses.
    As an explanation I have an Arts first degree and post-grad which I got to through doing 3 sciences at A-level.
    I do spend lots of time working with engineers though in a very engineering biased environment.
    (Edit) I’m not in any way suggesting that arts are not worth studying.

adrec
    Free Member

I hated all drama, music, art in school from the age of about 5. Hated it and always considered it so much worse as i loved the science and technology lessons we never did enough of because techers love a good Xmas nativity etc. I’m now an aerospace engineer, still think all that singing, painting and prancing about pretending to be a shepherd or a tree or whatever was nonsense.

d45yth
    Free Member

Nevermind Science, more English Language needs to be taught – I recently went to uni as a mature student and couldn’t believe how bad most other students’ written English was/is (this was on an Arts degree)!
    This post was originally a lot longer but thought I should keep some of my views to myself.

CountZero

What’s the first thing you ask an arts/media/humanities major? “Can I have fries with that?”

cbike
    Free Member

Why do they need to be exclusive? If I could redo my education I should have done more arty stuff rather than try to conform to the norm.

I work in the Arts. We do a shed load of physics, engineering and software. And are not afraid to ask for help if we need it. And often the non arty consultant learns or experiences something they would never have done otherwise.

aracer
    Free Member

Wow, I’m amazed at just how completely that is missing the point. Presumably there are hundreds of thousands of jobs out there which studying music qualifies you for?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think it’s abolutely true and industry is feeling the effects of it now. Our youth unemployment figures seem to show that we have a plethora of young people highly educated in subjects that are of no use to industry and our economy. These poor kids have been very ill-advised during their academic careers by namby pamby politically correct careers advisors. The company I work for cannot find young British people to fill our vacancies and as such are employing young people from abroad with their far more useful and relevant degrees. There are jobs are out there with no-one to fill them, and it’s not just holding back the young people concerned, but potentially the nations economy. It’s a terrible shame and will take a generation or two to overturn.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Very few people I know who did arty subjects work in related jobs. They all ended up doing further study or work experience to get a proper job.

English, foreign languages, business, finance, tech, sciences, maths and physical ed should all be the priorities.

martinhutch

I think it’s abolutely true and industry is feeling the effects of it now. Our youth unemployment figures seem to show that we have a plethora of young people highly educated in subjects that are of no use to industry and our economy.

This. We have a skills shortage and it is one of the responsibilities of the education secretary to try to address it. ‘Soft’ subjects in the humanities or social sciences are often an easy option for pupils and the spread of teaching staff means that they are promoted on an equal footing.

No-one should be prevented from studying the humanities if they have a genuine keen interest and enjoyment of the subjects, but frankly, my BA in English Langugage and Literature was a waste of time and effort. Looking back, I’d rather someone had told me to pull my finger out and put some effort into my science subjects – I was easily capable enough to do it.

kelvin

Time to abandon dumbed down ”joint science” and make physics & chemistry mandatory?

Stoner
    Free Member

physics & chemistry mandatory?

or maybe finally recognise that there’s no such thing as Chemistry, just Physics. Really, really, tiny Physics 😉

rewski
    Free Member

I studied art, now I draw for a living, getting paid to be creative, most of my peers are spreadsheet slaves, can you deal with that?

kimbers

To be fair she’s making a lot of sense, especially considering the target audience (science tech engineering maths forum)
    Just imagine how her predecessor would’ve phrased it, probably said all art teachers were lazy pinko incomeptents , it was all labours/bbc/blacadders fault and memorizing a king James bible cover to cover is all the humanities you’ll ever need.

Personally I think some arts education should be encouraged for all kids even at a level via general studies etc BUT that some sort of sciencey/maths foundation should also be compulsory

Klunk
    Free Member

I went to university doing aeronautical engineering fortunately I ended up a computer game artist.

martinhutch

I don’t think there’s any argument that some arts graduates get arts-related jobs. I ended up in journalism. However the pool these creative jobs is relatively small and competitive, whereas we have shortages of skilled people in science.

If I understand Nicky Morgan’s point, it is that people who are undecided on their career path at 14-16 tend to get directed towards arts and humanities rather than sciences, and this is misguided. She’s not saying that people with a genuine talent and desire to forge a career in the arts should be denied this.

martinhutch

I skimmed the transcript of that, it seemed to me more about allowing leeway for creativity in all subjects. Arts subjects obviously have more opportunity for that, but so do sciences. The difference being that scientific creativity needs to be underpinned by a foundation of technical knowledge.

kayak23

I wish education wasn’t getting so vocation-focused. What happened to an all-round education?

We’re all becoming worker bees, efficiently plugging away at what makes the most honey.

The world would be pretty dire without artistic and creative people.
    😕

allowing leeway for creativity in all subjects. Arts subjects obviously have more opportunity for that, but so do sciences. The difference being that scientific creativity needs to be underpinned by a foundation of technical knowledge.

I think you play down what is required to be a success in artistic fields, applied arts etc. Technical knowledge perhaps isn’t so tangible, but the most successful artists, designers, architects etc are far from thick generally…

gonefishin
    Free Member

You know it’s at times like this that I’m glad I was educated in Scotland. Granted the school teaching might be a year less, and necessarily slighly less involved as a result, but it does afford a much broader base. My highers were/are evenly balanced between the sciences and humanities (although my aptitude was always towards the sciences) but I learned very useful skills from studying History that have stood me in good stead.

jamj1974

business, finance, tech, sciences, maths and physical ed should all be the priorities.

Business and physical education. Two of the most useless subjects as currently taught. The sandwich year, placement or graduate trainees I used to supervise had so little use of how businesses were structured, operated or financed. Many also came in with the idea they knew it all – which wasn’t helpful either…

Physical education teaches very little about building physical activity into your life.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I never liked Art and Music lessons at school, but they were great for folk who did and would otherwise not have realised their talent. That said, in my first year at grammar school we had Pottery on the timetable once a week. Now that really is a waste of time, unless there is ever a national shortage of unfeasably large clay breasts and genitals, in which case I can round up 25 experts.

jamj1974

One of the key questions has to be are we educating to make them more useful to the economy in terms of employment or make them rounded citizens…? They are not necessarily the same thing. Part of education needs to give people the opportunities to discover things they will use in their life for enjoyment e.g. literature or art as well as understanding that these subjects often offer indirect benefits.

Other humanities subjects are also essential e.g. history. Without knowing the past, how can we shape the future? Also people often lob geography in as a useless subject – yet many aspects of geography are then very practically applicable when taken further in study – e.g. hydrology, urban development, demographics etc…

grum
    Free Member

It sort of depends if you think the only role of education is to produce competent workers or if education is a thing of worth in itself. Even saying that there’s a lot of evidence that things like singing are incredibly beneficial in all sorts of ways. Also IIRC music, creative arts, design etc are some of our biggest exports.

I hated all drama, music, art in school from the age of about 5. Hated it and always considered it so much worse as i loved the science and technology lessons we never did enough of because techers love a good Xmas nativity etc. I’m now an aerospace engineer, still think all that singing, painting and prancing about pretending to be a shepherd or a tree or whatever was nonsense.

Maybe it was just badly taught. Either that or you are completely uptight and joyless.

martinhutch

I think you play down what is required to be a success in artistic fields, applied arts etc. Technical knowledge perhaps isn’t so tangible, but the most successful artists, designers, architects etc are far from thick generally…

Wasn’t my badly-expressed intention – I was focusing on a school environment where, although there are significant technical skills to learn in art subjects over the course of a school career, they aren’t quite as academically fixed and brutal as some of those you have to learn and understand in maths and the physical sciences before you can start to use your imagination. In art, imagination and creativity can come into play on day one, if it is allowed.

I was thinking more about my subject – English – many of the skills you need (middle english excepted) are related to bullshit.

HughStew

I am really depressed by the “education as job training” ethos. Training people to do a specific job does not produce rounded individuals and an open-minded liberal society. Educating people broadly to have an appreciation and understanding of many subjects will produce a flexible workforce and a richer society, both financially and culturally. I did double Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English at A level and had to fight like hell to be allowed to do English, the timetable was entirely geared round pupils doing either arts or science subjects. This was 30 years ago, and I suspect not much has changed.

That said I think Nicky Morgan’s points are valid insofar as many pupils seem to drift into arts subjects as a default option

As an aside, I find it extraordinary that many “highly educated” people who consider themselves intelligent are perfectly willing to declare that they are hopeless at Maths, whereas if you were to suggest that they are barely literate they would be outraged.</stream_of_conciousness_waffle>

footflaps

Training people to do a specific job does not produce rounded individuals and an open-minded liberal society. Educating people broadly to have an appreciation and understanding of many subjects will produce a flexible workforce and a richer society, both financially and culturally.

That’s all just speculation…..

martinhutch

</stream_of_conciousness_waffle>

streamofconsciousnesswaffleshurely?

ahwiles
    Free Member

so, the idea is that by studying a science, you’ll be more employable?

i laugh cynically at this proposition.

ourmaninthenorth

I am really depressed by the “education as job training” ethos.

It’s been around since the Victorians introduced mass education – there was no greater good, just the need to skill up a workforce.

But anyone who tells me that maths/science is better than english/drama (or vice versa) has probably missed the point of the education afforded to them.

Edukator
    Free Member

God forbid they do any philosophy or social social science, they might then be capable of thinking for themselves.

kelvin

Let’s not confuse “studying art” with some of the options you can do for GCSEs instead of the Sciences.

Let’s also think twice before suggesting that social sciences are tought in such as way at GCSE level as to encourage pupils to “think for themselves” any more than other subjects.

Also, why assume that learning about science is “job training” and doing other subjects is just for the love of the subject? Piffle! Science effects everything you do… something any good artist will tell you.

footflaps

they might then be capable of thinking for themselves.

Who do people assume that you can only think for yourself if you study Arts / Humanities?

It just comes across as some sort of elitist nonsense / bitter retort (delete as appropriate) from non-STEM graduates.

BillMC

There is an awful lot of conjecture here. Government stats and literature do not support assertions about marginal incomes and topics studied partly because of the data which is left out concerning competitive entry and self-employment. Doing PPE didn’t seem to impede the progress of Cameron or Miliband, ‘social studies’ graduates earn more than the average graduate.
    A lot of what is being said my the minister et al is blaming the victim for what is essentially a systemic problem.

jamj1974

It’s been around since the Victorians introduced mass education – there was no greater good, just the need to skill up a workforce.

And increase social control…

Northwind

It’s not stupid. But it’s not this simple either.

Fundamentally, if you are a kid without specific aptitude and drive towards a science subject, doing more science and maths alevels isn’t generally going to turn you into a STEM candidate. More likely, it’ll see you leave school with a bunch of Cs in subjects you didn’t really enjoy. You can’t create a specific type of student just by chopping and changing a-level picks. The comments on A* GCSE performers are very valid but that’s a relatively small areas.

If the desire’s really to increase the number of STEM students, that needs to start far earlier, and it needs to happen in a lot of places other than schools. We need to treat science and mathematics with more respect- and that includes governments stopping playing stupid games with maths, or dismissing “quantitative evidence” as unimportant

There’s a fair bit of misrepresentation of the stats too- for one thing, they’ve included all “business” courses in with arts and humanities, which includes accounting, economics etc- so it’s not all “soft” or unapplied courses. But also, the reason for the increase in those courses hasn’t come at the expense of STEM subjects, in fact STEM courses have grown too. There has been a lot of movement from further to higher education of arts and business courses- so what might look like a huge growth in arts students, could well be just a move from college to university. That’s no detriment to science, it’s not a rivalry

Edukator
    Free Member

Because in philosophy you are encouraged to think for yourself, footflaps, and in sciences spoon fed and asked to regurgitate.

Inquisitive, open-minded, pataphysical deliberations are encouraged in the arts and crushed in science where the best-fit hypothesis is not to be challenged by mere students.

This was the subject of my PGCE essay BTW.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘pupils "held back" by overemphasis on arts’ is closed to new replies.