Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pupillary distance?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

How important is that measurement? It just so they can centre the lens’s on your eyes?

Just went and got my eyes tested, i’m still not bad, still my choice if I want to use glasses or not, but as someone who’s always had very good eyesight, it’s beginning to bug my, rather ample, manboobs a bit, so I want to get a pair to try them out.

Now, as cheap as possible will do perfectly fine, so some shady tesco efforts will be getting bought for a 20 quid or so, just to see if I actually wear them before investing in a decent pair or 2.

Opticians never gave me the PD, but when i check online they want it. Quick google showed how to measure it, so I’ve eyeballed it at 68mm. That sound about right? and does it need to be that accurate?

I need, well maybe not need, but I want to try them anyhow, see how I go.

Just for completeness’s sake, prescription came out at:

Don’t need reading glasses yet, might do in 5 years or so though. 🙁 lazer treatment not an option.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It’s rather important, but easy for someone else to do for you with a ruler.

scc999

And the opticians (different ones) I’ve used wont provide it as they know that it allows you to shop online.

Grrrr.

Si

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Just joined the same boat. All the time at the office desk = less eye strain; don’t need them anywhere else.

Most online shops seem to provide a convenient guide on how to measure it IIRC.

Flaperon

I have a similar prescription (-0.5, +.25) and I can read the bottom line on the chart.

Why do you want glasses?

ads678

I usually measure from the outside of one pupil to the inside of the other. This should be the same as centre to centre but easier to line up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s information about you that a company stores. Doesn’t this come under data protection and therefore you can see it?

ads678

They say it doesn’t form part of the prescription, and from memory they only take it when ordering your specs, not during your sight test.

I had an argument with specsavers over this. Up till now they are winning…..

giantalkali
    Free Member

Not usually taken during sight test.

Where did you get that test done? Just interested…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Why do you want glasses

Cause I can sense my eye sight getting worse. Since last time I came that’s that doubled, not alot, but it’s very noticeable, just an irritant to me. Darkness is really started to annoy me.

Ended up just popping back in anyhow to see what their cheapest was so 25 quid in here will do, to try out glasses.

My PD is 68mm btw they just measured it with camera and I spied the measurement.

rossburton
    Free Member

Ask nicely and they’ll tell you, but they may charge. At my last eye test I asked during the test saying I wanted to get some prescription sports goggles made and the optician grabbed a ruler and told me, but he also told me that he should have charged a tenner but he thought that was stupid.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Just specsavers giant.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Cool, surprised to see it written in that manner, I’m sure it’s correct though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

well it was 33+35 the computer measured it as(for some reason I added that up to 67 before my edit.). there were other measurements and wee tweaks to the frames as well after I tried them on, tbh, dunno if I would buy online if I ever get more expensive sets.

All in all a positive experience in there, tbh I was surprised their cheapest specs where so cheap, I’d always thought specs were an expensive business(hence a quick gander at tesco). My brother has terrible eyesight and he always spends a fortune.

test was free, so canny argue 25 quid total. will pick them up at lunchtime.

slowoldman

Given that prescription it probably doesn’t matter too much. Get to my blind as a bat myopia with correction for astigmatism and need for varifocals it becomes a bit more of an issue. But I agree with flaperon – why?

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve spent 35 years of my life being able to spot a fly at a thousand paces, I can’t do that any more, and it’s bugging my tits.

I also don’t like the aura around things and almost slight double visions it feels like at times (not quite, more like an offset of the aura than actual double visions), and as mentioned, darkness is starting to feel quite oppressive at times.

I’d put the question back, why would you settle for substandard vision if you didn’t have to? What’s the point in that?

Least I’ll be able to see the stars again properly and notice details on the horizon like I used to, or somewhere approaching it. (That’s just extreme examples, it’ll help with much closer vision too.)

not like wearing glasses will make my vision worse, I don’t really see any negatives to getting them.

slowoldman

OK fair enough. Given they will be cheap go for it and see how you feel. I haven’t read the bottom line of a chart since the age of 7 even with glasses. They have limitations.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, not looking forward to things deteriorating over the next 20/30 years, which they will, sight and hearing I’ve always cherished tbh, no idea why, just always been aware i’ve been quite blessed in those respects.

I’ll be taking all the help i can get as soon as i need it.

spooky_b329

Specsavers gave me mine, no issue but did have to ask. They have to note it down on a specific leaflet, they wouldn’t jot it on the receipt 🙂

I suspect they had no issues as I wanted to get some sports sunglasses which they don’t stock…however in the end I used it to get a reglaze, perhaps they’d have been more resistant in that scenario.

midlifecrashes

If you are going to Tesco to buy cheapies, they will measure it there anyway, but when I wanted mine years ago I rang my optician and said my work wanted to order me some safety specs from their supplier and I needed the PD.

thehustler
    Free Member

PD, doesn’t form part of the sight test however some optoms do measure it some dont (we have 3 working for us and only 1 does)

It is actually part of the dispensing process and should be measured by the dispenser (so why would you give it to someone to take elseware?)

How critical is it? British standards give about 4mm tolerance for error, however dedending on prescription it sometimes needs to be absolutely accurate in both the horizontal and vertical planes!

seosamh77
    Free Member

4mm tolerance for error

was wondering that, computer said, 35+33, she noted down 34+34.

skids
    Free Member

It’s not a big deal with a weak prescription like that, just press a ruler against your face

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s interesting wearing these, biggest difference is outside, depth perception is improved even though the actual sight difference is only like the difference between HD and 4k(or 720/HD not quite sure the correct analogy). It’s amazing how much that slight blur merges things together in that respect. There’s a tiny general improvement in shapness over all, and something I wasn’t expecting either, colours are a touch more vivid, dunno if that’s just because lines have sharpened up that touch or if it’s the lenses doing that…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pupillary distance?’ is closed to new replies.