Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Pundershaw Classic Kielder 13.1.18.
  • hodgynd
    Free Member

A route given classic status by local riders which has evolved over the years ..some of it we won’t tackle because of ground conditions and there will be a fair amount of forest road to link things together ..however I can’t overstate the fact that a lot of it will be wet..so dress accordingly if you are coming !
    It’s a chance for those outside our local group to try something new ..but some of it is lumpy and wild very wild .
    The pace will be relaxed .
    The ride will start at 10.00am at the grid ref and location marked with the cross on the first map.
    The second map shows the wider area with access from Wark & Bellingham the best way to get there but be aware the last few miles from either end are on singletrack roads.
    Please post below if you would like to join us ..final confirmation that the ride will go ahead will be posted on here on Friday 12.1.18.
    Map 1.Showing the exact start location..

Screenshot_20180106-214619 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

Map 2..showing the surrounding area.

Screenshot_20180107-091744 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

failedengineer

I’ll give it a go if I shake this bug off before then. What’s the distance?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just whatever we manage to fit in between 10.00am and 4.00pm ..there is enough to go at ..dont really want to put a figure on it but you will have a decent ride .
    Hope you can make it .

failedengineer

Do you have a pub/cafe stop or should I bring a picnic hamper 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

There’s nowt while out ..we usually take a sarnie or two ..does that wicker basket not get too heavy ? 😆

failedengineer

Yes. I may have to leave out the champagne.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Naaah..leave the basket ..champers in the camelbak..job done 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

Looking like a good turnout for Saturday so far..
    Failedengineer
    Dave
    Jean
    Colin
    Jaco
    Me…
    Anymore …?

thenorthwind

I’m tentatively up for this, pending arranging another ride I committed to with a mate (probably Sunday though), and the random pain that appeared in my hip whilst riding this weekend disappearing (commuting has been somewhat uncomfortable this week).

hodgynd
    Free Member

Great TNW..hope you can make it but if you are coming let me know and I will send you my mobile number …just in case .

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’ve been having a look at the planned route for Saturday and have estimated it to be about 20miles .
    While I don’t anticipate needing them ..should you have a set of lights could you please bring them with you ( better safe than sorry )..
    The ride itself will comprise of little used forest tracks / bridleways ( which will be very wet but mainly rideable !) and good forest roads ..but other than the folks you are riding with I would be very surprised if you see another soul all day …
    Look forward to seeing you all ..but will check back here tomorrow evening for confirmation of numbers ..

failedengineer

Regretfully, I’m going to have to pass (again). I still can’t shake this bug.

hodgynd
    Free Member

No problem ..just shout up whenever you fancy joining us ..hope you shake it soon.
    Unfortunately Dave & Jean are also unable to make it due to unforseen family commitments ..
    Now down to 3 confirmed ..but that’s ok !

failedengineer

…. and to make matters worse, new bike arrived yesterday and I’m not going to be able to try it out!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Now that is a bugger ! 😆

What did you get ?

thenorthwind

I’m afraid I’m going to pass this weekend too. Been undecided as my hip pain’s been coming and going, but decided to take my sensible friend’s advice and not risk making any worse. Damn sensible friends. Also, I made the mistake of reading that thread full of young people broken hips, where someone thought they had musuclar hip pain and turned out to have broken it 😯 (not seriously suggesting I’ve done that).

Annoyed because I was planning to get loads of riding done in January to get a good start to the year. Rode both days last weekend and had plans both days this weekend. Still, a couple of days of bike fettling, map reading and van modifying won’t go amiss.

Enjoy!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Thanks for letting me know ..an old saying but very true ‘ the hills will still be there when you are not ‘ ..another time.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Tough ride today ..which meant that 3 sections of singletrack bridleway got scrapped due to the conditions..leading to the last half of the ride being on fire roads.
    Even these were tough going very claggy / energy sapping .
    There were some real fun sections though and it was good to be out
    Thanks to Colin & Jaco for joining me .
    I will post some pics & the route a little later ..

boxelder

Have you ridden the BW from Cairnglastenhope down to Clint Burn Neil (just to the west of your top map). That’s always fun.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Yes ..always 😆
    If you know that you will also know how wet it gets in the middle ..
    You will also recognise it from some of the pics I will be posting ..
    You must be fairly local ..not many folks know or even ride that section ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

Here are the pics ..route to follow later.
    The dry part of the B/W you mentioned earlier Boxelder
    Colin & Jaco

20180113_114512 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_114516 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_114521 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

This track isn’t even on the map ..

20180113_124102 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_124412 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_124655 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_124700 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_124708 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

A few trees down ..but where there’s a will..

20180113_125158 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

A visit to the Green Bothy ..bringing back memories of our stayover in Easter ’17 …what a night that was almost enough to put you off whisky for life ..and how a full days riding followed I will never know !
    Nice to see the glitter ball is still in place ..and the bothy itself spotlessly tidy .

20180113_144815 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

20180113_144832 by Neil HodgsonFlickr2BBcode LITE

As mentioned ..route to follow …I need to work out the grid references for the b/ways we missed out ..otherwise the last half is all fire road ..

hodgynd
    Free Member

I’m sharing my #OffRoadBiking trip with you. Total distance 38.9?km, http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/NjYxMjMwMg== . Via @ViewRanger

The bits we didn’t do …
    After climbing over Little Dod Hill pick up the b/way over Round Top.NY715 778…down to the road and turn left and follow up to Felicia Crags to pick up route again.
    At NY792 790 Camstone Rigg turn right onto b/way following Water Sike to the pond turning right on the f/road climbing up to Esp Hill to turn right onto b/ way at
    NY792 797 to nearly the end of the ride ..
    Hope some of you ride it ..needs more tyre tracks on it !

thenorthwind

Shame about the conditions, but it has been pretty wet recently. Good to get out anyway, as you say.

I’d like to add that route to my stash for future use. I don’t suppose you’ve got a GPX with the missing bits in do you? I can see where they are on the map but it would save me plotting them out.

You know you live in a forgotten bit of the north when you have to try and persuade people to come ride your trails!

hodgynd
    Free Member

:lol:..you could be right ..but they have been our secret for too long …and that is just a little tease of what is available.
    As far as a gpx for the missing bits ..frayed knot ..
    The last half of the ride could really do with more singletrack in it but the f/road is ok when it’s dried out ..
    Also don’t be tempted by the b/way at NY715781..over Burnt Tom ..it works well initially but leads into a large area of windblown trees and you will have to turn back ..

FOG

Jealous!! My wife is an exiled Northumbrian so when we get up there , I like to get some riding in. Done some stuff in that area but will certainly have a go at the tracks you have mentioned, thanks..

hodgynd
    Free Member

You are welcome ..hope you enjoy 😀

thenorthwind

No worries, I’ve plotted it out. Thought I’d better do it, otherwise I’ll find the route and forget about the extra good bits.

Here it is for all to see:
    http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MTYzOTcwNA==

We’ll be queuing up for runs and the FC will have turned Green bothy into a cafe before we know it. Probably.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cafe ?
    It’s a den of iniquity from my experience ..!
    Dave W ?
    I know a Dave W …is it you ?

paul4stones

What’s that BW heading north from Grindon Green like? Lots of felling in that area recently.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Completely unrideable I’m afraid ..the course of the b/way is still on the ground but there is loads of brashing..then it gets very marshy .
    I did check it out on foot .. 😐

paul4stones

My experience of most of them tbh. Good to know about that other one.

thenorthwind

I know a Dave W …is it you ?

I don’t think so. Does the one you know follow his W with interborne?

It doesn’t sound like there’s much hope for that BW then? I better remove it from the route – I thought you’d just avoided it this time because it was a bit too wet. As Paul says, sounds familiar.

hodgynd
    Free Member

No…its not you :-).
    There is not much around there that I haven’t checked out b/way wise..
    There is other stuff out of Stonehaugh ..but that’s another ride for another day 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

Northwind ..I have only just checked the route you have plotted ..I would stay faithful to the actual route that I have ridden as it’s dangerous to assume anything in that area..and tbh the extra that you put in isn’t that exciting ..there is another track that I could have put in prior to Felicia Crags going down the Trinket ..but they are felling in that area and I’m not sure as to its condition …
    Another point to note is that on the northern most small loop from where the route crosses over the track at NY724 820..this is a nice descent on an overgrown doubletrack which is more like 2x singletrack and quite rough ..after turning right with the track to about NY731 821..the FC have started prepping the track ( very smooth ) from the road below which would indicate that there is going to be some imminent felling ?..
    Still good to go as of now though !

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Pundershaw Classic Kielder 13.1.18.’ is closed to new replies.