Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Puncture resistant commuter tyres you use.
  • Wally

Evening all, spring is in the air and I am contemplating cycling 30 miles strewn with broken glass everyday. It is essential that they do not puncture. I have Conti 4 season on presently(700×35), any better out there that you swear by?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

heff
    Free Member

The schwalbe marathon plus tires are brilliant.

I’ve had mine for 4 years, commuting 100km a week, with no punctures.

tjagain

conti sport or travel contacts in protection flavour here. simply don’t puncture. Personally I don’t like marathons tho many folk do

piemonster

28c marathons of some description here. Not exactly sporty but tough as old boots.

jeffl

Marathons. Not a great deal of finesse but never punctured.

TiRed

Marathons will suck the life out of you. Durano Double Defence will ride much better with the same protection. Continental GP 4 seasons are very good too. I’d just continue to run them and see how you get on.

vincienup
    Free Member

I ran GP 4 seasons for a 10mi each way commute in Sheffield for a couple of years (not same set!) with very minimal issues – 700×28.

They had shallow surface cuts quite quickly but never progressed beyond that. Sheffield has to be the capital city of broken glass and road debris between the crap council management of contractors and lack of enforcement of uncovered loads for skips etc.

iancity1
    Free Member

Marathon+ with slime inners … Can never have enough protection !

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Spesh Armadillos, super tough.

edhornby

get a Durano DD or a Marathon plus for the rear and use the GP4season for the front

epicsteve
    Free Member

Marathon Plus

kimbers

Always been marathon plus user was doing >120miles a week in and out of london and towing the kids trailer to nursery, they never punctered once, I got about 2 years out of a pair.
    did get some conti 4 seasons on a new wheelset and they roll so much quicker, was amazed at first, but nowhere near the puncture resistance,
    back to draggy marathons for me

CraigW
    Free Member

Marathon Supreme are a lot lighter than regular Marathon or Marathon Plus, and still rather tough. Though more expensive, and won’t last as long.

Or Panaracer Pasela or Panaracer Ribmo are also good.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Maxxis Overdrive Kevlar spent some time on my hardtail for commutering duty. Punctures: nil

ahwiles
    Free Member

Marathon plus on the rear, standard marathon up front.

My commute includes a LOT of broken glass, no punctures in 4 (or is it 5?) years.

big_scot_nanny

I think my Bud and Lou on the fatbike roll better than the marathons on my commuter, but as others have stated, the only puncture I’ve had in using them for 6 years (only needed 2 pairs of tires in that time) is from a 4″ nail.

Dependable and designed for the job.

munkster
    Free Member

Tubeless FTW.

Friend of mine commutes in that London and was forever getting punctures (not just on the same tyre either) and since suggesting he switched to tubeless he’s been fine. Jinxed him now, but I’m on tubeless (albeit not for commuting) and not had a ride ending puncture (that wouldn’t have killed a clincher anyway) in over two years and 000s of kms. That’s me done for now, too 😉

Edit/caveat: “YMMV” – going road tubeless not for the feint hearted from a standing start!

richmars

Edit/caveat: “YMMV” – going road tubeless not for the feint hearted from a standing start!

This is a good point. I’ve been thinking about going tubeless on my commuter, but I could spend a min. of £80 and have something that doesn’t work (using existing rims). I currently have standard marathons which have been ok (maybe 1-2 punctures a year over 4500 miles last year). I could just get a pair of marathons Plus’s for £50 which will improve on this.

munkster
    Free Member

(maybe 1-2 punctures a year over 4500 miles last year)

Still 1-2 more than me over a similar distance last year 😉

On tubeless rims it *will* work, but as you say the investment of not just money but time to work out what you will need and how it all works is not inconsiderable. Unless you (like my friend) take it all to the LBS and get them to do it! 😀

Not to mention “the fear” of riding on tubeless for the first few times: “will my tyres explode”, “will it just come off the rim”, “it won’t seal”, “aliens” etc etc

prawny

I’ve done 12000+ miles on Durano plus rear tyres and touch wood, I’ve not had a single puncture. Just stick a cheap tyre on the front.

16-17mph average from Birmingham to Cannock Chase.

I’d put another Durano+ on the front, but money’s always been tight and I’ve not had a problem with Luganos over the last 18 months.

richmars

Still 1-2 more than me over a similar distance last year

Which is why I’m thinking about it. Maybe if I was buying a new bike I’d make sure it was tubeless, but right now, the Marathon Plus looks something worth investing in.

Stoner
    Free Member

after finding my london commuter in this condition, I asked a similar question.

Went with a Marathon to replace it, heavy as hell but should be just as sound

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/top-commuting-tyres

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Puncture resistant commuter tyres you use.’ is closed to new replies.