Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Puncture repair kits
  • slowoldman

Yes I carry a spare tube but then there’s sometimes a day when that gets punctured too. Puncture repair kits are OK apart from the stupid little tube of glue that has always dried out when you come to use it.

Anyone know any good kits? No I’m not going tubeless. Yet.

jeffl

Think Park do some self sticking patches. Not used them though.

jamiep
    Free Member

99p glue from China via ebay

fin25
    Free Member

Tip Top

Available at most LBSs. small box, good glue, works well enough for me.

nickjb
    Free Member

whatever is on special, usually £1-2. Not found one better than the other. Just need to keep replacing the glue if you don’t use it often

I hate those kits with feather edged patches – they never seem to stick properly, even at home in perfect conditions.

Halfords repair kits with the heavy rubber patches for me. They seem to stick every time, even with manky old glue.

fasthaggis

Park glueless,best for getting you home after your spare is used.
    I never go anywhere without a box

nickjb
    Free Member

Much prefer the feather edge but there is a technique to getting them on right. Rough the tube with sandpaper over the whole area to be glued, apply a thin smear of glue, wait until it is dry, apply a second thin smear of glue, wait until that is dry, then apply the patch.

Never found the self adhesive patches to last long. Handy for a quick fix in the rain but I always needed to re-patch properly at a later date.

wait until it is dry, apply a second thin smear of glue, wait until that is dry, then apply the patch.

thanks – i’ll try that next time. Preferably when its not raining!

Klunk
    Free Member

really rate halfrauds own brand patches (both sheets and pre-cuts) and the glue (the biggish tubes) never seems to dry out. also for the road bike bought a load of kits from the pound shop, so cheap 2 for £1 or something silly you can use the glues as a “one time thing” once the seal is broken.

Keva
    Free Member

Park Tool sticky patches work for me, every time. Never had a problem with them, some of my tubes can have up to six or seven patches on them. I keep them until the valve comes away from the rubber.

the trick is to make sure the tube is clean & dry, use a hard surface such as the BB part of the frame when yer bike is upside down and iron it on with the edge of a tyre lever, making sure there are no air bubbles under the patch.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-super-patch-kit-gp-2/rp-prod7206?gs=1&gclid=COa1p4n87c4CFcG7GwodFh4DHg&gclsrc=aw.ds

slowoldman

Tip Top

This is the very culprit.
    Works brilliantly once, come to try and get more glue out of the tube a second tine and nope, it’s solid.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Puncture repair kits’ is closed to new replies.