Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Puncture proofing inner tubes
  • duckers
    Free Member

I dont really want to go tubeless but want the puncture protection of sealant, has anyone put stans or equivelent in inner tubes with removable cores andhad much success?

I know you can buy Slime tubes but they weight a ton.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Don’t forget there is also a ‘Slime Light’ tubes, 219g according to the box I’m looking at, so loads lighter than normal slime ones. Not sure how good they are though as haven’t used them myself

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

In the early days of my tubless experiments some 5plus years ago, I tried a slime tube. It was shit. I got a typical thorn puncture that completely failed to seal.

Putting sealant in a normal tube is fine, but it’ll weigh very much the same as the slime tubes.

mudslinger
    Free Member

I was often getting punctures so tried liners but they were more trouble. I thought about going tubeless for a year before recently doing it. I may have been lucky but I can’t believe how easy it was & wished I had done it ages ago.

waihiboy
    Free Member

buy the slime tubes, ive used them for years cant remember the last time i had a puncture or noticed as the stuff probably worked 😉

they are heavy but i dont care

gingerflash

presumably these will only help with thorn-type punctures and not pinch flats.

andym
    Free Member

I’ve been using Sludge. Easy to apply. Seems to be working OK so far. They recommend putting vaseline on the valve to stop it gunking up.

duckers
    Free Member

I typically run 35-42 PSI as I like to keep it rolling fast so pinch flats are not really an issue but thorns were a problem last year, for some reason the main places I ride are littered with various thorny bushes as apparently the wildlife like them, well I bloody well dont… Anyway I might have a bash at that sludge, if it gets 8/10 from a mag it cant be that bad.

Admins – how about a mag or website feature on different methods of puncture prevention and their effectiveness?

nickc

Didn’t get any extra protection from thorn punctures when I used tubless strips and latex.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ride all year in the Chilterns / Cotswolds / France / Welsh Trail Ctrs.

Put 40 psi in and get about one/two punctures a year. I use Kenda tyres and normal innertubes.

Just put more air in your tyre, the one or two punctures you may get will be a chance for a rest. Not an pain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Either puncture protection tyres – they do work for Mrs TJs commute or the strips that go between tyre and tube.

duckers
    Free Member

I might just try getting an inner tube, filling it with stans or sludge or something and ramming a nail through it, just to see if it works. Hmmm I’ve got a few days off work so it might just hapen if I can drag myself away from the PC…

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

I’ve been using Ghetto tubeless for the last three months – absolutely brilliant – no punctures to date, fast rolling and fantastic feel.

I use standard Racing Ralphs and can run them as low as 30 psi without them dragging on the road (and I’m 16st). But it’s when you hit the rougher stuff (XC) they fly.

Trimix
    Free Member

People who try one of the “fixes” tell you they dont get punctures anymore. But is that really due to the fix, or the fact that they have removed the thorn from the tyre, pumped it up properly or dont ride on a thorn infested trail anymore. Its not scientific.

Just pump up your tyres. Seriously, just how many punctures are you getting ? Where are these puncture prone trails ? Ive never found them.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Just as your ‘opinion-is-truth’ is no more scientific either trimix.

I’ve ridden the same trails for nearly 9 years. I moved to tubless after one particularly bad summer where I received 18 puntures from early spring to mid summer. Enough was enough and I switched to tubeless out of frustration. I’ve had exactly two punctures since, on the same trails in the last 5 years.

It may be anecdotal or observed evidence only, but I can assure you its good enough for me. I’m happy to trade a bit more time in my garage setting it up, with a beer and the radio on, than spend that time on the trail, loosing riding.

Farticus

What scienceofficer says.

My record was 12 punctures in one ride. The norm was at least one puncture a week. Where I ride has lots of hedges & tracks alongside them – unavaoidable unless I want to ride on the roads.

Tubeless [UST with sealant]has been great for eliminating thorn punctures. I do still get punctures, but they’re now bigger problems caused by rocks when using rubbish tyres (Schwalbe NNs). And I have had the joy of pulling lots of thorns out of my tyres, so I know it works – I haven’t developed the magical ability to avoid thorns just because I’ve pumped my tyres up.

Gary_M
    Free Member

‘Slime Light’ tubes are utter pish. I don’t get very many punctures on my commuter but after a couple in one week in the dark on the moor I thought I’d try these ‘Slime Light’ tubes. Ended up getting more flats ion one week than I have all year, slow punctures, fast punctures, you name it I got them. On one occasion the slime was bubbling out the tyre but not sealing the hole at all, which on inspection was a very small hole. One puncture out of 4 I got in one week sealed. Utter rubbish.
    I’ve binned them.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Right, based on this evidence, I have to go tubeless on two back wheels very soon – one of them is on an Alfine so it makes sense to me. This is a Mavic 521 rim. The other is a DT Swiss 4.1d. Any ideas what I should get?

takisawa2

I did the cheapo tubeless conversion using BMX tubes. I have std rims & tyres. Seems to be holding up well. (5 weeks I think). Did a test puncture with a pin but that was in the garage where I could monitor it. It sealed up in a few secs. What about a std tube with 50ml of wheel milk inside, that how much is inside my tubeless. Should only add 50grams or so.

duckers
    Free Member

Takisawa, thats what I think I’m going to do, just until I can test selant and trust the stuff enough to go tubeless.. I reckon if I buy some decent Schwalbe tubes with removable cores I can save at least 50g’s per wheel over the standard tubes currently fitted, and I need some more spare tubes anyway as my scott scale has Presta valves and my Trek has schraeda.

Jenga
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Either puncture protection tyres – they do work for Mrs TJs commute or the strips that go between tyre and tube.

Must agree with TJ (Second time this week. Doctor, help!) I’ve been running strips inside my tyres and haven’t had a puncture in over 2 years.

Mackem

I use slime tubes. Previously was getting an average one puncture per ride (lots of thorns round here). The front one has lasted six months so far and I had to replace the back one just last week, so I like them a lot.

duckers
    Free Member

Well I never, the valve hole on my Mavics are cut to take Schraeder and fitted with a presta adapter and tubes, filling problems solved and let the experiments begins.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Give another shout out to Sludge.Doing well so far.Just remember if using the road kit(for Presta tubes) you will need a tub for each tyre.Tried 50ml in each and had one puncture but the other sealed! Got a 100ml of the stuff in each tyre now.Using ultralight tubes and Speed King Supersonics and doing well! Doesn’t add much weight either!
    Thanx Max

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Puncture proofing inner tubes’ is closed to new replies.