Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Puncture proof (!) commuting tyres…
  • amedias
    Free Member

but roll a little better

Yep, in the same way that being kicked in one testicle is a little better than being kicked in both 😉

Over the last 30,000 commuting miles I’ve come to the conclusion that most punctures are a result of bad luck, followed by tyres being worn out (whatever the original model), and that ‘puncture resistant ‘ bits only save you form a tiny tiny percentage of possible punctures, in most cases you’d have punctured anyway, or wouldn’t have if the tyres weren’t knackered.

Obviously though thats all a case of YMMV, and influenced by what you ride through, but the most puncture free commuting tyres I’ve actually had have also been the lightest/thinnest carcass and tread tyres I’ve ever used on a commuter (Compass 38mm jobbies), I’ve had 3 punctures in the last 3,000 miles on them, one of them was because I hit a fist sized flint in a quarry at ‘optimistic speed’, one was a 3 inch long nail that also put a hole in my rim, and the 3rd was a small piece of wire, like might come off a barbed wire fence, so probably would have punctured most tyres too.

Being that they were all down to bad luck (or poor line choice!) I’ll take the ride comfort and deal with 1 puncture every 1,000 miles or so over the living hell of propelling marathons or equivalent ~300 days a year!

tthew

Saxon Rider – I meant Sport Contacts in the post I made a few above yours, not Super Sport. They are ace. Don’t change them. Or if you do, send me a message, I’ll give you actual money for them, and they can reside in my shed until these wear out.

tjagain

I use conti travel contacts. NO punctures in 3 years of cross edinburgh commuting. Last time I checked them I took a dozen or so bits of glass out of them. Grippy and run fast. I don’t like marathons – a nasty mix of low grip and drag.

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Puncture proof (!) commuting tyres…’ is closed to new replies.