Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Puncture prevention
  • gonzy
    Free Member

At the start of September i gave my wife the car so she could do the school runs and decided that rather than catch the bus in to work i would use the bike.
    As i hadnt ridden for a few years things started a bit slowly and painfully…before i realized that the bike was carrying a bit too much weight for road use…so the first port of call was the tyres…off went the 2.35inch Maxxis Ignitors and the bulky inner tubes and on went a pair of 1.95inch Panaracer Mach SS.
    Suddenly the bike was transformed into a whippet…but i’ve hit a problem…i keep getting punctures…3 in the last 3 weeks!!
    The tyre pressure is set to 60psi and although i accept that the tyres are lightweight and dont offer the same puncture protection the previous tyres did…i’m a bit disappointed that the puncture so easily…the main culprits are tiny bits of glass…two pieces have left two small cuts in the tyre tread…

my question is this…if i stick with these tyres, any suggestions as to how i can prevent further punctures…or should i swap to a different tyre altogether…
    i was thinking of applying a strip of duct tape to the inside of the tyre to add a bit of protection…

wwaswas

you could try putting stans etc in your tubes.

I do this on my cross bike and I’ve heard a few punctures that have ‘healed’ themselves in recent weeks.

gonzy
    Free Member

good idea wwaswas…thanks…but how well would it work if the cause of the puncture has become embedded in the tyre and gone through the tread?
    last night i found a piece of glass had got stuck in the tread and puched through the other side and into the inner tube..i had to prise it out with pliers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

seems to be that as long as the tyre/innertube are fairly well ‘connected’ (which they will be at 60psi) that the tube doesn’t move around to much so even if the object is still through the tube it still seals. It’s not perfect, but better.

you can get strips to go around the tyre – like gel pad type stuff too.

I ran Schwalbe Kojaks which are fairly chunky but have masses of rubber on them and don’t seem to puncture.

gonzy
    Free Member

i was looking for another semi slick alternative like the Schwalbe Big Apples but i might have to give the Kojaks some serious thought…

wwaswas

they are pretty bald (hence the name) but I didn’t have problems on tarmac, I’d be nervous to use them even on hardpack, though.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I ran DMR Moto tyres for years as commute only jobs and they were brilliant for puncture protection. A bit heavy but they roll really fast. Just like a slick but instead of no knobs they have very closely spaced (almost continuous) knobs which means a really thick tyre hardly anything will get through them.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

+1 for stans. I don’t think its as good as slime or joes (inner tube specific) in tubes but its a lot cheaper.

If big hunks of glass are the problem you could try tire liners as well. Slime do some and Im sure there would be other brands also.

JoeG
    Free Member

Something like Mr. Tuffy tire liners?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Puncture prevention’ is closed to new replies.