Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Puncture – Long walk home – ar$e!!
  • grtdkad

Have just walked, one hour home after picking up a puncture at the wrong end of a night ride….ended up missing half of the fun bits I had planned – ar$e 😥

ajantom

Silly question – but no spare tube?

I always carry a spare and patches just in case.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Are you seriously trying to tell us you did not have spares, puncture kit etc. If not then you deserved the walk!

Jamie
    Free Member

Not to kick a man when he is down, but a night ride with no spares? Tsk Tsk.

Personally i have tubeless so do not have to worry about these mere mortal worries 😉

coatesy
    Free Member

Standard kit(even on commute)-pump, spare tube, puncture kit,6"x6" piece of DPC for wrapping tube if tyre rips. Also carry a mech hanger and a tool to fit everything on the bike that's accessible trailside.
    Heard lots of tales similar to yours from customers that don't.

malchales
    Free Member

I had to walk 6 miles home from Chantenbury, i had spare tube/puncture outfit. The top of the valve broke off in the pump &n the tube was too baddly split to repair !!! I was p****d.

coatesy
    Free Member

I'll see you and raise you malc, 8 miles walk in cycling shoes with a loose freehub body bolt that totally siezed the rear wheel. A nother reason i'm obsessive about repair kit and maintainence.

ollie
    Free Member

Personally i have tubeless so do not have to worry about these mere mortal worries

I thought this until last wednesday, I got a puncture 3/4 way down the masts at llandegla, I had no spares but did have my mobile. Went to call the wife and realised I had no credit. 7 miles and about 3 hours later wife gives me a call to see where I am, By now I'm almost home freezing, sore feet and really pished off. LESSON LEARNT!

uplink
    Free Member

I thought this until last wednesday, I got a puncture 3/4 way down the masts at llandegla, I had no spares but did have my mobile. Went to call the wife and realised I had no credit. 7 miles and about 3 hours later wife gives me a call to see where I am, By now I'm almost home freezing, sore feet and really pished off. LESSON LEARNT!

That's what you call a 'Darwin' warning

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Walking home is made even worse with the constant click click of a hope hub.

allthepies
    Free Member

Tie a knot in the tube right on the puncture point or if you have zipties then tie off the tube each side of the puncture. But I guess you weren't carrying a pump so a moot point 😀

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I'll see you and raise you malc, 8 miles walk in cycling shoes with a loose freehub body bolt that totally siezed the rear wheel. A nother reason i'm obsessive about repair kit and maintainence.

And I'll raise you again. 500m into my first lap at '05 mountain mayhem my mech got cloged with mud, ripped itself off and I ran the rest of the lap. I was pretty chuffed when the same thing happened a mile into my last lap as well. I wouldn't have minded so much, but it was the shimano tent that had fixed it and set it all back up again. Bloomin mud. 😡

I always carry a spare mech hanger now.

Jamie
    Free Member

ollie –

LESSON LEARNT!

Get rid of PAYG and go on contract?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I once got a puncture about 7 miles into a 17 mile commute into liverpool. Ended up walking through toxteth in lycra and SPD shoes as I had no repair kit and no wallet with me. Nearly 2 hours later I turned up at work and had to beg food off my commuter mate who I'd told to carry on without me!

white101

Bit of a hijack, but would you patch a small hole in a tyre?
    I got 8 punctures at GT week or so back and had to walk back to lower car park from spooky wood. Found a small hole in between treads on tyre, was gonna keep the tyre for winter work, not sure if its worth stciking a patch on the inside and hoping it will hold.

ollie
    Free Member

That's what you call a 'Darwin' warning

Indeed. 😥

Get rid of PAYG and go on contract?

Done.

The amount of abuse I got walking home from chavs was unreal, but I deserved it for being a nob and relying on a tubeless setup which had worked perfectly for about 2 years and lured me into a false sense of invicibility regarding punctures.

Olly
    Free Member

no matter how many tools you carry, it is ALWAYS possible that your walking home.
    so enough of the "learn your lesson" crap!
    (dont get me wrong, tube, pump and multitool as a minimum for anything more than a blast around the block)
    i dont mind walking, it just makes me sad to wear down the plastic soles of my shoes (and then cleats after theyve worn a certain amount)
    maybe ill start carrying some flipflops :s

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I got 8 punctures at GT week or so back and had to walk back to lower car park from spooky wood. Found a small hole in between treads on tyre, was gonna keep the tyre for winter work, not sure if its worth stciking a patch on the inside and hoping it will hold.

A bit of card (or a 5 pound note if you don't have any) and some gaffer tape on the inside. Or you can get proper tyre boots.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I had to walk the 9 miles home from work in january last year when my BB decied to colapse and drop all its bearings. I walked as fast as i could just to stop from getting cold.

twohats
    Free Member

Wrap a length of gaffer tape around an Allen key and keep it with your multi tool, it can be used for any number of trail side repairs including ripped tyres.

montylikesbeer

I grab my pack when ever I go out, even to the shops.

Contains a spare tube, tyre leavers, multi tool, spare pads, pump, mini pliers, lock, waterproof, a couple of quid, a$$ wipe in a plastic bag, a couple of plasters, a pair of diesel gloves thing's from the garage……………………………… jeez I am getting organised in my old age

grtdkad

Yup…normally have a tube zip-tied to the seat post but not when I need it! Sods law really.
    But lesson learned…having to choose a long, dark walk home or a slightly shorter route, through town (pubs at 11.00) while wearing silly, click-clackety shoes! Fun.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Puncture – Long walk home – ar$e!!’ is closed to new replies.