Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Punch bag training
  • dobo
    Free Member

Can anybody recommend a punch bag & jab pad workout? for solo and pairs be good.

Not training to be a good boxer or anything just for strength speed stamina etc and a bit of variety from body weight exercise and mtb

sundaywobbler

Don't mean to sound condesceding but it probably will however I write it. So apologies in advance…

Do you know how to punch properly? You can really 'goose' your wrists by punching a heavy bag incorrectly.

As for workouts just vary the speed, strength and punch type throughout the rounds. I'd start with 1'30" rounds X5 to start with and then increase the length/number of the rounds as your fitness levels increase.

Bag work is very good exercise and if you push yourself hard enough even the small amount of workout time that 1'30" sounds will be enough.

Hope it helps a little

DezB
    Free Member

Attend a boxercise session and nick the good bits.

When I had time to do such things it would've been:
    10 min warmup followed by stretches.
    3 mins bag work (jabs, straight punches, hooks, uppercuts – learning combos for this is great)
    3 mins skipping
    3 mins press ups
    3 mins situps
    3 mins bag work
    30 secs rest between each
    then 10 min warmdown (inc stretches)
    and repeat for about an hour or until you drop. Shoulda seen me back then, like a panther 🙂

chameleon78
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Got any tips for correct punching, so as to avoid wrist problems? I get problems with my right wrist but can't work out what I'm doing wrong.

sundaywobbler

The main thing you need to do is keep your wrist in line with your forearm so all the shock of the punch goes through the arm rather than being absorbed in just the hand/wrist. Make sure you punch 'square' and distribute the punch across all of your knuckles rather than just some of them. The thing you need to understand is that your fist is just the part of your body that makes contact with the puch bag and the acutal punch comes all te way from the feet, through the hips, back, shoulders and then arm first. One way I like to look at it is you need to throw your whole bodyweight but remain stood still…

This is purely boxing/kickboxing style and there may be other techniques used in different martial arts that I am not familiar with.

This seems quite hard to explain via just text but hope it helps a little

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Get some hand-wrap and bind up your hands properly before even punching the bag.

dobo
    Free Member

done loads of circuit training and boxercise and have hurt my wrist once on a bag before so know how easy it can be, learnt the hard way.

using some of the training ideas but was after about a half hour work out purley on the bag or pads as i got the circuit stuff sorted.

will try the 1.30 mins x5 and do same on pads and see how we go, i guess minimum rest is preferred? say 1 min between sets?

sundaywobbler

Start with 1 min rests then shorten down to 30 sec or lengthen rounds up to 2 min.

If you're working the pads make sure you do all your rounds first and then move on to your mate rather than switching the pads over each round, will also give you a much better workout.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Punch bag training’ is closed to new replies.