Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pumps one for the jersey and one for the camelbak
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I need 2 pumps one for road rides: small and pocketable (if that’s a word) and one high volume.

What do you use/recommend?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why two? Surely one will do?

eyerideit
    Free Member

I went to a meeting today and had puncture on the way.

Looked in my bag and realised my pump was in my Camelbak 😈 net result I was over 1 hour late and not being anywhere near a bike shop meant it took me about 2 hours to get home. This meant I was behind on work so will have to catch up over the weekend.

So now I’d like a pump for the commuting bag (which I have) a dinky saddlebag pump for road rides and one in the camelbak.

legend
    Free Member

There’s AirBone pumps on SportPursuit just now. Not sure if they are any good, but they are small and dirt cheap!

Northwind

Pocketable pumps are all terrible. It’s not their fault, they just have an impossible job to do, little pistons asked to move a lot of air.

So, for road bike- something you can frame mount. I use Beto Minis, because they’re cheap and reasonably good. Tons of others like this, I bet lots are better but hey, £7 for good enough. Watching the face of puncture’d roadies doing battle with a pump the size of a biro, when you turn up with a real one, is like watching kids at christmas.

For mountain bike- something you can use like a little track pump. No way back once you’ve used one of these!

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/17244/MPart-Evolution-Mini-Floor—Frame-Bike-Pump.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid17244

Others are available but these are decent volume, they last forever unlike Mountain Morphs, and they’re not expensive. About 10000% better than pumps they’re 10% bigger than- and the difference in size is pretty much irrelevant in a camelbak anyway.

monogramman
    Free Member

I have an airbone micro pump and with the correct “furious masturbation” technique you can inflate a large mountain bike tyre pretty quickly. Saved me whilst out in the sticks a few times.

TiRed

CO2 canister and Topeak Micro Rocket carbon mini pump for the jersey.
    CO2 canister and Topeak Pocket Rocket on the frame for the commuter.
    CO2 canister and Zefal HPX in the rucksack for off road.

Forget the expensive CO2 adaptors, the microflate nano (the small yellow one) is fantastic. And yes I have three sets, so I never have to remember to swap.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Lezyne alloy drive. Used a few times on my commute. Highly recommend it.

Northwind

monogramman – Member

I have an airbone micro pump and with the correct “furious masturbation” technique you can inflate a large mountain bike tyre pretty quickly.

I think that’s my problem, I’m too used to a bigger pump, it’s hard to adapt.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

I’ve got a Blackburn Airstick that lives in the seat pack of the commuter(700c wheels) – ok,it’s not as good as a larger pump but for it’s size it’s very impressive and is more than good enough to get you on your way. That said I wouldn’t want to use it for pumping up mountain bike tyres.
    To stickin the jumper pocket for short off road rides I use Crank Bro’s power pump – again it’s ok,will get your tyres up to a decent pressure fairly easily.

For the camelback/panniers you can’t beat,IMO, Topeak Mountain Morph – tough and very easy to use for both mountain bike and road tyres.

Thinking about this – I’ve also got a Mini Mountain Morph a frame fit pump, 2 x track pumps, and at least 2 more mini pumps. 😯 ❓ Anyone want to buy a pump ?

djglover
    Free Member

Lezyne frw just one pump required

charliedontsurf

These are great back,pocket pumps… They work really well and are incredibly small. Would not want to inflate a fat bike with one of these.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/airbone-micro-pump-1027-p.asp

And in my camel I use a small track pump…. One with a short hose and foot thingy. The gauge is handy too.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/axiom-enforceair-pro-gauge-mini-pump-3062-p.asp

charliedontsurf

For the camelback/panniers you can’t beat,IMO, Topeak Mountain Morph – tough and very easy to use for both mountain bike and road tyres.

I too used a mountain morph for years, but found it incredibly easy to punch the pump with my knuckles when I got to the end of the stroke. Mine cracked in this area so I started punching sharp plastic. The axiom pump above doesn’t have this problem, knuckles don’t connect and it is rounded in this area if you do.

Airbones…. Like furiously tossing off a shrew, but they work.

grievoustim
    Free Member

My girlfriend recently got a topeak race rocket hp. It’s fantastic – hose connector thing to avoid broken valves. Screws on to prestas, so no leaks. Converts from presta to schraeder with a simple twist. I’m going to get one, loads better than my current Blackburn mini pump which I thought was good

frogstomp

+1 for the Airborne pump.. they come in different lengths if you want more volume, but the small one is fine for road.

For the MTB : Lezyne Mini

pdw
    Free Member

Pocketable pumps are all terrible.

I disagree. The smallest Lezyne Pressure Drive works extremely well. This one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-abs-pump-small/

For the MTB I’ve got a Lezyne Micro Floor drive, which is also very good.

charliedontsurf

Pocketable pumps are all terrible. It’s not their fault, they just have an impossible job to do, little pistons asked to move a lot of air.

I disagree now, but thought the same as you once. They move lots of small lumps of air, so the load is not much per pump, making the job pretty easy. I recall the zefal MTB pumps, wide bore big volume and hard work.

PMK2060

Lezyne pressure drive mini is great for the road bike.

crawf44
    Free Member

http://bit.ly/XhDBx9 bought this last week and it seems to be doing the job and added this one just to leave somewhere I haven’t already got a spare pump http://bit.ly/Z1nmqS – cheaper than my morning coffee

Edit – links should be swapped

Northwind

pdw – Member

I disagree. The smallest Lezyne Pressure Drive works extremely well.

I had one of those- it’s not that small, and it’s not that great! The hose was a nice touch though, raised it above most of the rubbish, nicely made too.

charlie the bikemonger – Member

I disagree now, but thought the same as you once. They move lots of small lumps of air, so the load is not much per pump, making the job pretty easy

Aye, in the same way as moving a ton of sand with a teaspoon is easy. Agree that small, fat ones are even worse though as you say, they’re like trying to move a ton of sand with a tablespoon that weighs a ton.

eyerideit
    Free Member

The pressure drive was on my jersey pocket list, Is it that bad?

I’ve got a leyzene HP floor drive mini for commuting, it’s really good and i was thinking about the HV version for the MB. But the Topeak mini floor pump and the one Charlie posted are now on the list as well.

Charlie: the Axiom pump says it’s got a lifetime guarantee. Is that a real lifetime guarantee or for the lifetime of the pump, however long that may be. Is it as we’ll built as a Leyzene?

charliedontsurf

The warrantee is for your lifetime against defects… Not wear and tear. But they are easy people to work with so they will be cool. Having said that I haven’t had anything fail yet.

Northwind

eyerideit – Member

The pressure drive was on my jersey pocket list, Is it that bad?

Oh no, it’s not bad at all, lezyne don’t really make bad stuff. But it’s bulky for a jersey pump, but small for a bag/frame pump so neither one nor t’other.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve got the tiniest lezyne pressure drive. It’s tiny, fits in a pocket easily, and pumps up tyres wonderfully. Looks bling too.

For the camelbak I’ve got a topeak mountain morph I think. Has only come out once or twice, but works brilliantly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pumps one for the jersey and one for the camelbak’ is closed to new replies.