Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pump vs co2
  • craighill
    Free Member

Due to being out of biking for a couple of years, I seem to have lost my small trail pump, so question is, do I replace with a new pump or go solely for co2?

i do run tubeless but always carry a tube just in case?

Opinions/experience welcome

P-Jay
    Free Member

I go with Mini Pump, Co2 cartridges are wasteful, less reliable, one-shot jobs best left to those gram worrying roadies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both….
    I have a pump as a back up but CO2 for the infrequent time I have a puncture. There are also CO2 pumps combined

jimdubleyou

Why not both 🙂

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/mini-pump/product/review-bontrager-air-rush-road-pump-10-39705/

CO2 messes up your Stans fluid, but I guess if you need to use it, Stan’s already left the building.

jonba
    Free Member

Hybrid mini pump for me. C02 can useful but doesn’t allow for cock ups, multiple punctures. I’ve got a topeak one that is small enough to go in a roadie saddle bag and just about copes with mtb tyres.

TiRed

one-shot jobs best left to those gram worrying roadies.

Or those who may be damp, cold, and don’t want to stand by the side of the road shivering for too long. I carry both but always reach for CO2 first. Small pumps are always a compromise and even the turbo morph needs a firm grounding to be effective.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I can’t see the point of CO2 unless time saving is essential ie a puncture in a race.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

centralscrutinizer – Member
    I can’t see the point of CO2 unless time saving is essential ie a puncture in a race.

Been out in the snow much?

craighill
    Free Member

A co2 would be ideal for re seating tubeless bead if I need to, however I’ve always managed just putting a tube in until I get home,

I think a pump is more important if I just had to have one, so I think I will get a pump and maybe try co2 in the future

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d go for a mini tack pump like the topeak mountain morph as you need 2 x co2 to fill a tyre I’ve found and the morph lets you fill a tyre quickly without catching your palms on the pump.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Both. Pump for it’s endless supply of free air and a CO2 cart just in case I need to reseat a tubeless tyre. I’m too mean to use the CO2 for simple inflation

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as you need 2 x co2 to fill a tyre I’ve found

25g does the big volume 26 fine, tubeless that is

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Both.

CO2 for convenience, pump if the CO2 fails.

I don’t carry a pack. So don’t carry a pump that’s reliable and quick enough to make a good go at pumping tyres up, either road pressures or MTB volumes.
    A CO2 cart will either do a 2.5 to ~1.3 bar, 2.2 to ~1.8 bar or a 700×25 to about 5 bar. All of which are pretty much on my normal riding pressures. Give or take.

The canisters go for recycling.

gonzy
    Free Member

i carry both
    the co2 cartridges are quick and easy to use but the pump is there as a backup.

scotroutes

Which has is greenest? Do you expell more CO2 gieing it laldy with a hand pump than is contained in a cartridge?

fifeandy
    Free Member

CO2 for racing, pump for everything else.

ac282

Genuine innovations mountain pipe does both.

pdw
    Free Member

If you have to have one, get a pump.

I usually carry both, but save the CO2 for when I’m in a hurry or the weather’s rubbish, and it doesn’t really save that much time anyway. The time consuming bit is finding what caused the puncture.

benp1

Only carry CO2 on my commuter, as it’s in my commuting pack and it’s small. Top up air at home

Pump comes out with me on rides, but now I think about it I suppose I could manage with CO2, as I rarely use/need it. I don’t find my mini pump to be too big to carry in a bumbag, and it’s not particularly heavy so don’t really mind carrying it

I would also then have to buy some CO2 cartridges and another inflator. Which seems even more of a waste than just carrying my current mini pump

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Been out in the snow much?

No Sir 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pump vs co2’ is closed to new replies.