Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pump track building
  • spev

Our local council have rustled up £800 to spend on materials and given us a patch of land in Clyne Valley to build a pump track, we've got some dirt jumpers involved to lend a hand. We are building it out of voluntary labour , what i'm after is advice from anyone here who has built one and what sort of surfacing material we may need. Obviously the budget is very tight but we are hopeful we can get a small track built at the least.
    Cheers for help in advance

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I think this is the accepted bible

Trekster

Try e-mailing Tally of/on the upliftscotland site, he has built one in his back garden!! Scottish DH champ, trail repair man and responsible for Inners and Ae DH routes.

StirlingCrispin

We're planning something similar in Stirling.

Had a very helpful chat with this chap:
    Ian Warby <ian.warby@ctc.org.uk>

Ian's behind the pumptracks in Leighton Buzzard and knows a fair bit about how to make them durable.

jam-bo

i was gonna build one in my garden but the council have provided a spot 500yds down the road and the digger move in on monday.

result.

and the pump track nation book by lee is really good.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

We (SingletrAction) have built 2 and are working on a third with a planned rebuild of Stainburn and an extension nearly complete at Buck Woods.

McCormack's book is excellent.

Plan and scratch out the shape
    Drainage.
    Build up from ground level (out of standing water).
    Build the berms first, then fit the rollers.
    Don't put the rollers too close together (peaks at least a bike length and a half apart).
    Drainage.
    Build it with mineral soil, either the local ground or import (some Quarries do reclaimed soil which can be cheap, c £6/tonne).
    Get some decent tools (long handle shovels, rakes, tamper, barrow etc)
    Drainage
    Dig efficiently
    Water it in and pack it down
    Wait
    Ride
    Refine
    Loose dirt packs down by 25 to more like 50%. Build as big a pile as you can.
    Drainage

Not knockingthe DJ folsk and it depends what sort of PT you want but think smooth and flowing and don't go too huge. Rollers don't want to be big and peaky. A straight of 3 or so well shaped, 300 to 450mm high can build massive speed.

IMO you don't need a roll in. If you've got one then great but if you have to build it then it's a lot of effort for something not essential.

spev

Excellent info cheers all, sorry for not posting earlier been surfing
    I've got a contact who has also built a track nearby,but all info is helpful.
    If there's any Swansea locals interested in progress let me know here or email spev11 at gmail.com

jedi

call warby!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pump track building’ is closed to new replies.