• This topic has 63 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Pump track bike
  • Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I fancy a simple rigid trails bike for riding pump tracks, bmx etc with my kids and messing about in the street. From a youth reading MBUK I always fancied an orange missile or DMR trail star which seem to be cheap on eBay.
    Will I regret this at 6foot4?
    Anything to look out for?
    There’s a cheap trek frame, forks and bits on eBay that looks good

My thinking is I ride it for a few years then as the kids grow they can use it too

SirHC

I’m 6ft and ride a Stanton 4X, 416mm reach. Its just about big enough, come the summer I’ll be swapping the frame out for something bigger, probably a transition PBJ

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhjuXX9hFFq/

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I guess newer bikes are longer, but is there not a point where it starts being too long for bmx etc? I figure if I can manage on a tiny bmx race bike I can probably do ok on a slightly bigger bike?
    Do you find 26inch wheels are ok?

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’m 6ft and ride a Stanton 4X, 416mm reach. Its just about big enough, come the summer I’ll be swapping the frame out for something bigger, probably a transition PBJ

I did just that last year, after about a week I went back to the 4x and sold the transition.

It wasn’t bad, and over large jumps at the BMX track it felt very stable. But it just didn’t feel very ‘playful’. Every time I pick up the 4x it seems to beg to be thrown around, didn’t get that from the PBJ. I had a long, maybe a short would be better but then it’s not much different to the 4x. Obviously ymmv but since I am 6′ and swapped a 4x for a PBJ my experience seemed to close to what you are planning not to share.

I figure if I can manage on a tiny bmx race bike I can probably do ok on a slightly bigger bike?

It’s not comparing like for like, you’re BMX race bike will be sized on TT length which doesn’t compare to how MTB frames are measured. You would be surprised how long a BMX race frame actually is, the reach in them is pretty roomy.
    26″ wheels are great, although I’ve a 24″ bike as well that is really nice on the track, better than the 26″ if I’m honest which is why I haven’t let it go yet.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

That’s helpful thanks. This is what I’m aiming for, something fun and close to a bmx in feel but just slightly easier to ride and big enough that I can ride to the track. 24inch wheels might look nuts with my size but would make it easier for the kids to get on it sooner.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I just bought a Specialized P1 for pump track fun with my kids.
    £350 off of Facebook marketplace.
    I’m 6 foot (nearly 50) and its great fun. Actually feels bigger than I thought it would. I was given a BMX to restore recently and that just felt horribly small and unforgiving with the slightest of body weight movements.

Things I have found on it to look out for.

They’re usually owned by kids who don’t look after them / use them as garden ornaments.
    Bottom bracket bearings were pretty much seized.
    Forks were trashed and the steerer was dangerously short. (fortunately it came with the original rigids which are half the weight of the Bombers).
    Original 12 year old tyres are made of wood.

Just leave some in the budget for issues you wont see in a convenient for both car park / meeting place.

SirHC

I did just that last year, after about a week I went back to the 4x and sold the transition.

It wasn’t bad, and over large jumps at the BMX track it felt very stable. But it just didn’t feel very ‘playful’. Every time I pick up the 4x it seems to beg to be thrown around, didn’t get that from the PBJ. I had a long, maybe a short would be better but then it’s not much different to the 4x. Obviously ymmv but since I am 6′ and swapped a 4x for a PBJ my experience seemed to close to what you are planning not to share.

Cheers for that, a mate has a PBJ so will borrow it at some point when the bmx/pump tracks are dry locally.

Could do with a taller front end, but straight steerer forks are hard to come by and dont really want to be buying a brand new set of Pike DJ’s and having a straight steerer pressed in!

Stevet1
    Free Member

Manitou Circus forks are a great option, or keep an eye out for a set of used Fox 32 831’s with a straight steerer. Alternatively Answer do some great 3″ rise bars that are a good way to raise the front, got them on my 4x as the headtube is only 100mm on them.

This is what I’m aiming for, something fun and close to a bmx in feel but just slightly easier to ride and big enough that I can ride to the track. 24inch wheels might look nuts with my size but would make it easier for the kids to get on it sooner.

Yep I used to ride a 20″ at the track but once I lost my local trails I didn’t spend enough time on it to be comfortable anymore, hence the 24″.

JAG

I’ve done something similar to this with a 2010’ish Cotic BFe Medium size frame (I’m 5′ 11″) and a short, rigid fork to steepen the head angle. I added some Magura MT5 brakes and 200 mm discs each end, a riser stem and some riser bars plus a single speed freewheel on an Inspired hub and 26″ rims.

It’s great fun on pump tracks and the local skatepark. Maybe a bit too long (wheelbase is about 1000 mm) for the skatepark but what the hell.

I’m probably too old to be ‘twatting’ about like this (I’m 53) but it’s really helped sharpen my balance and other skills and it’s a real upperbody workout – so much fun I ain’t stopping now ;o)

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’m 6’5” and used to own an old Trailstar and it was absolutely fine for pumptrack duties. Now I ride an old Revell 450r with rigid forks for my pumptrack bike.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That’s one of the nicest looking dirt jumpers I’ve seen.^^^

tb927
    Free Member

Following this thread with interest, to those setting up with rigid forks are there any (cheap ones) to be recommended? Or will any old steel fork do? (not planning to do anything mental just little jumps and bunny hopping around in the park with the kid). 6’7″ with stupid long arms and wondering if the Planet X jumping jack flash frame would be good for pump track/pub bike. It’s aluminium. Think the reach is 428.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Trail star is the dream, that was always on my want list as a kid.
    Definitely going for rigid, and I reckon 26inch so it can swap wheels with my wife’s bike and my shopping bike if it ever needs to.
    For me it’s got to have maxxis tyres too

captainclunkz
    Free Member

@tb927 I’ve always used Identiti forks as there cheap and bloody strong. These are the ones on my Revell 450r.

https://www.identitibikes.com/products/rebate-xl-1420-forks/

tb927
    Free Member

@captainclunkz that’s brill, cheers.

JAG

rigid forks are there any (cheap ones) to be recommended?

I’ve used Identiti forks as well, they may even be the same as “captainclunkz” linked ;o)

teethgrinder

I built this up for the Chopwell pump track. It’s fast and way better than I’ll ever be on it.
    Naturally, it’s hardly been used.

tb927
    Free Member

Does it make much difference if the fork’s a bit long? I have some 150mm 26″ Revelations sitting doing nothing and wondered if I’d be able to just pump them up pretty hard…. perhaps even pump em up weird to suck them down into their travel a bit. (they have a +ve and -ve chamber)

teethgrinder

150mm would be a bit much, even pumped up. I reduced the Sektors down to 120mm and even that’s more than I’d want.

stevextc
    Free Member

I always fancied an orange missile or DMR trail star which seem to be cheap on eBay.
    Will I regret this at 6foot4?

Pretty sure Ben Deakin is about that size ??? I’ve got a photo somewhere with him and his Trailstar XL holding my Small. (At 5’10-” I’m usually ML/L)

£320 for a NEW frame on the DMR direct website.

Trail star is the dream, that was always on my want list as a kid.
    Definitely going for rigid, and I reckon 26inch so it can swap wheels with my wife’s bike and my shopping bike if it ever needs to.

It’s now 27.5+ so perhaps not

stevextc
    Free Member

6’7″ with stupid long arms and wondering if the Planet X jumping jack flash frame would be good for pump track/pub bike. It’s aluminium. Think the reach is 428.

I’m a runt and it’s just OK for me in 26″ guise…

jairaj

perhaps even pump em up weird to suck them down into their travel a bit. (they have a +ve and -ve chamber)

Not sure that would work well for jumping. The negative spring helps to make the fork more supple and small bump compliant. You can counteract that by running loads of compression damping to help the fork stay up and not just blow through the travel. But I think from memory that era of RS forks only had slow speed damping control not high speed. So possibly when you land a hard jump the fork will still blow through the travel? I think it was straight forward to add a spacer to the air spring to reduce the travel so maybe look into that.

tb927
    Free Member

thanks @teethgrinder and @jairaj Might just flog them and get a pair of those rigid ones. From memory I think the lowest they’d go would be 130mm.

When you say ‘just OK for me’ @stevextc do you mean it feels a bit big or bit small for you as a pump track bike?

SirHC

Does it make much difference if the fork’s a bit long? I have some 150mm 26″ Revelations sitting doing nothing and wondered if I’d be able to just pump them up pretty hard…. perhaps even pump em up weird to suck them down into their travel a bit. (they have a +ve and -ve chamber)

I converted my dual airs to coil:

-Binned the top part of the dual air
    -Space the airshaft with plastic washers to the desired height by filling the gap between the piston and the seal head. Mine are set at 100mm.
    -U turn top cap with the hole in the middle filled in
    -Sector x-hard spring

tb927
    Free Member

@SirHC That’s clever! Very interesting.

stevextc
    Free Member

When you say ‘just OK for me’ @stevextc do you mean it feels a bit big or bit small for you as a pump track bike?

I’m used to bigger bikes so take that into account but I’m 5’10” and its fine for the pump track and DJ but anything else it feels small but I’m not doing tricks just jumping. That said obviously plenty of adults riding smaller BMX’s.

The Trailstar in small is a fair bit bigger and good for pumptracks/DJ and everything else up to bike parks. It’s also a lot lotmore forgiving frame.

If I stuck my long(ish) travel Enduro one end and Jack flash the other the Trailstar feels far more like the Enduro.

SirHC

@tb927

Just noticed you said that yours are dual air, I think I have a set of all travel spacers in my spares box

tb927
    Free Member

@SirHC that’s awfully kind!…but I’m about to have kid number 2 so not sure when I’d get round to it! (but thanks again!)

lucasshmucas

I’m 6’3″ and bought one of the PX Jumping Jack frames a month or two ago. It’s usable as a normal / pub bike with a 450mm seat post and 70mm riser bars. I’ve set it up rigid with an Identiti Rebate fork (465mm ATC, IRC), which is a bit more than is recommended, but it raises the handlebars a bit, although slackens the front end too. I like it a lot more than the Calibre Astronut that I used to have, although it’s not quite as nimble. It’s one of the raw frames so a bargain at £100. It’s a lot of fun and definitely a keeper.

ThePerfectKiss

Like the OP i’m on the lanky side of 6′ 3″ and I’m building an Octane One Zircus frame at the mo for pump track/messing around action and something which my boys will use later down the line, frame looks good value for 140 quid and I’ve converted my old Fox 36 Van RC2’s down to 110mm so that’s the front sorted, i’ll be re using a set of Mavic 321 on Hope Pro II hubs so no problem with converting to singlespeed.
    Turned into a no brainer to build this with old components i’ve got knocking around.

5lab

I’m 6’2 and my pump track/jump bike is a 435mm reach – I could easily have gone smaller but I wouldn’t want to be any longer. A short wheelbase and tight angles is essential, my bike has circus expert forks (100mm, the lockout is good, even though they’re run super firm, it adds noticeable speed to a pump track when they’re locked) and the rear wheel maybe 3mm from the seat tube.

blakec
    Free Member

I’m in a similar situation was looking at building up an xl chromag monk or transition PBJ. Reach of about 465mm

I’m 6’5 normally ride an xxl geometron. So was worried an Large would be to small. Anyone of a similar height who can give advice.

Mostly want to use on the pump track and keep my son company when he learns new slow speed tricks. Fakie, stoppies and so on.

5lab

I dont think you need that much reach at all. I’ve also got a longer (450mm), slacker (65ha) hardtail and it feels like an absolute anchor compared to the kiez. Horrible on the pumptrack and not nearly as good on the jumps. The benefit reach gives whilst mtbing simply isn’t relevant on pump tracks and jumps. Getting your weight right over one axel or the other is

submarined
    Free Member

Longer bikes are definitely harder to throw about if it’s for general arsing about asks well as pump track. I’m 5’10 and use a DMR Sidekick, which has a reach of about 75mm (or thereabouts) it’s so flickable though. Even my talentless self can do 180 hops, and it’s so easy to get either end on the air. So much more than longer bikes I’ve had and ridden. Absolutely fine on the pump track as well.
    Caveat: that’s with 120 forks. I need to see about dropping them down.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t get obsessed about normal MTB geometry. I am 6’1″ and ride a BMX fine, you don’t need something with trail length reach. It might take a little getting used to if you’re accustomed to the slow geo of a MTB but stick with it.

cjr61

I’m 6ft3 and ride a Dialled Holeshot for these duties and it’s bloody brilliant. I have no advice to offer just love the bike!

js syntax checker online

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

That looks absolutely filth, love the purple.
    I can already see my budget is going to get out of hand

stevextc
    Free Member

Don’t get obsessed about normal MTB geometry. I am 6’1″ and ride a BMX fine, you don’t need something with trail length reach. It might take a little getting used to if you’re accustomed to the slow geo of a MTB but stick with it.

I think that depends on how serious the pump track use is.
    I can’t ride my kids 20.75″ BMX at all…. it just feels weird.

I’m sure I could persist but I’m not that serious I want to as it’s more messing about.
    Then again I’m 53 so I’m a bit less focussed on rad skilz in 10-yrs as much as still being able to clear the jumps and gaps in a decade. TBH I spend little time on the pump track as I’m lazy and the DJ’s are next to it…

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can’t ride my kids 20.75″ BMX at all…. it just feels weird.

I’m not saying go for a BMX but that a jump bike for someone who is not “into pump tracks / trails” will be fine as its quite a bit bigger than a BMX even if you’re really tall. i.e. if I can mange on a BMX anyone a fair bit bigger and not accustomed will be fine on a 26″ jump bike. Some higher rise bars might be useful but length will be fine. IT was more aimed at someone a bit up talking about some long ridged trail bike

This forum has a general over excitement over geometry that “modern” mtb geo is best for everything (seen people asking about LLS road bikes FFS!), that more my point, you can do a lot with something vaguely right on a dirt jumps.

TheBrick
    Free Member

and also not to get too upset if a bike doesn’t feel like your trail bike, you’ll get accustomed quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Pump track bike’ is closed to new replies.