• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by GW.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pump track
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Question: which would do 10 laps of a pump track faster/go further with no pedalling, a 29er or a BMX?

Im thinking the extra momentum of the larger wheels will carry the bike better even though a rider can move a BMX around under them better, so 29er to win.

Now where’s my nearest pump track to test this hypothesis?

ton

bmx
    the extra weight on the 29r wheels would slow it down too quickly.

jam-bo

depends on the pump track.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    depends on the pump track.

Indeed. Depends very much on what it has been built for. Try riding 26″ on a proper BMX track and it just doesn’t quite work.

Stoner
    Free Member

ton – a 29er will freewheel for longer than a BMX. ALso I reckon you could build a SS 29er for the same/less weight overall than a BMX. The only benefit of the BMX in my opinion (exlcuding the track design issue) would be being able to lift it under you more to get more potential energy into it with your body.

jam-bo

why would it freewheel further. my bMX used to roll much better than any other bike i’ve had.

solamanda
    Free Member

Why would it be lighter? My old race bike was ~20lbs

MOJOK
    Free Member

If the track had super wide berms, maybe the rolling momentum of the 29er might come into play. If the track is built so the rider is always adding energy, the BMXer wins every time. Also, a long wheelbase is a liability on most pumptracks.

Stoner
    Free Member

To the extent that a larger wheel acts as a better flywheel than a smaller one and that a larger radius improves rolling (i.e. reduces loss of momentum when hitting bumps).

It may be negligeable, but give us 29er riders our quick wins will you eh?

🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

it neednt be lighter solamanda, my point was that a 29er neednt be heavier either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, here’s an idea….

You bring your 29er to a BMX track, I’ll bring my 20er, and we’ll see who does best…!

Stoner
    Free Member

consider your duel accepted!

*slap*

St James’ park at dawn?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BMX track in SJP? That would rock!

GW
    Free Member

er..wasn’t the original question about a Pump track? and as for riding a 29er on one, **** that!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pump track’ is closed to new replies.