Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pulled calf muscle – How long to heal?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

How long do you think it should be rested before doing anything strenuous on it. I pulled it a week ago on sunday, it felt like someone had stabbed me in the leg. I let it rest all week, then went to kick a ball on friday night there and it looked like a sniper shot me. Luckily enough i was able to cycle so got myself round the wolftrax a good few times(put paid to my idea of carn ban mor though! 🙁 )

Anyhow, i can walk on it fine just now, going up and down stairs is a bit iffy mind, but i’m still cycling to work.

So how long should it take to properly heal do you think? And is it wise to be exercising it on the bike(I’d have though yes as long as it isn’t causing discomfort)?

votchy
    Free Member

Was it a pull or tear? Did mine 3 and a bit weeks ago (bad tear), can walk fine and up and down stairs is ok, specific calf exercises are not painful but do pull a bit, was told to rest for 2-3 weeks then start gentle cycling and strengthening/stretching exercises, have not yet cycled as doing calf raises, both seated and standing, is showing a lack of strength in the damaged calf, am almost back to being able to stretch the same as the undamaged one. Proper healing varies, according to t’internet, from 2 weeks to 3 or 4 months depending on severity.

seosamh77
    Free Member

See i don’t really know, i’ve never had such an injury before, It felt like something snapped in the leg so i reckon it’s probably more of a tear than just a simple pull..

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re really bothered go and see a professional (ie physio) – it’s kind of hard to do an accurate diagnosis over the internet. Also useful to speed up the healing a bit. FWIW when I tore mine last year it was about 6 weeks before I could run again, and that wasn’t especially severe.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nah not overly bothered, just curious as to the rough healing times so i know. I thought when it felt alright that was it, obviously not, i’ll give it another 3 weeks or so and see how i go…i don’t really run anyhow, and i’m fine on the bike so it’s no great hardship. Hiking is out for a while though, I was looking to get into a bit of that this year.

Mintyjim

I did the same thing last year playing five-a-side, I was probably off footie for 4 weeks or so then took it really easy. 3-4 weeks off the bike.
    I heard a snap when mine went, very painful and experienced the same sniper you did. The bastard.

Good luck with yours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pulled calf muscle – How long to heal?’ is closed to new replies.